Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 15:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India

Am I the only one here who has noted that there is a further fly in the ointment?

Quote:
PleaseNote:
* Mobile phone shall be made available and delivered by Girnar NewTel Solutions Pvt. Ltd. Reliance Communications doesn't sell or deliver mobile phone.
* Order acceptance and delivery is subject to stock availability at Girnar NewTel Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
T&C link mentions "Partner" everywhere.

FAQs asks you to call Girnar Newtel not Reliance. That merits a closer look for the conspiracy theorists!

Hence it is not REALLY the contract model as it happens in USA (AFAIK).
Old 6th November 2013, 16:13   #32
BHPian

Re: New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Please understand this is not the "contract" model we get overseas.
- You need a credit card that has a credit limit more than 63k (for 5c) and 72k (for 5s)

- Unlike the contract model, even if there is a newer model available or you want to quit the plan, the EMI continues

- Do note the market price for the same phone is a lot cheaper than what you are eventually paying for the phone+plan out here
- Basically Reliance is getting overpaid for the iphone upfront with a credit card company coming in the middle
How is it different from the contract models in USA? The only difference is that Reliance is taking a backup of Credit card companies, who are in a position to recover dues, rather than a SSN traceability as in the USA. Indians can vanish in thin air at the drop of a hat and this seems like a secure option for recovery. The 2nd option I see is a 2 year open ended Bank Guarantee.

In the US service contract too, one cannot upgrade before the end of 2 years, else pay an ETF and get out of the contract.

The 3000/month for 5S 16 GB includes service plan, which is very much like the US contracts.
The decision to pay 53500 upfront or to delay it over a course of 2 years depends on the buyer. I preferred an EMI scheme for my ip5 purchase, inspite of having disposable resources.

Correct me if I am wrong.

What I wonder is when the RBI has disallowed EMI schemes on CC's, how is this being allowed?
Old 6th November 2013, 16:25   #33
BHPian

Reliance Offer

1. This offer is for Reliance GSM and 'NOT' CDMA. The service quality on GSM is generally considered to be poor. (Opinions are personal)

2. The end user is paying Rs. 2800 + 12% service tax every month, which brings the total amount to Rs. 66,620 at 12% discounting (Plain summation 75,264/-)

3. There are no comments on FUP for 3G, but Reliance GSM 3G is not available in all cities.

4. A personal visit to a store before finalization would be a must do.

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2013, 16:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
What I wonder is when the RBI has disallowed EMI schemes on CC's, how is this being allowed?
Correction: RBI has not disallowed EMI schemes per se. It has objection only where the companies claim their finance schemes as zero interest EMI when actually the finance charges are hidden as processing fees and no discount on MRP. As long as a reasonable market rate of interest is declared, RBI does not have any problem.
Old 6th November 2013, 16:41   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Reliance has both GSM & CDMA networks. This iPhone offer is on their GSM network.
I was not referring to Reliance network, more wrt the device which supports multiple bands but needs SIM card, either GSM or CDMA. You can check apple site for the compatibility list.
Old 10th November 2013, 11:54   #36
BHPian

Based on my understanding the offer works like this:
1. Cost of Phone
2. Present Value of Reliance's Revenue for 2 years. This is discounted vs actual usage as most customers will not use the free service for 2 years hence the cost to Reliance will be lower so it can afford to charge lower.

Convert this amount into EMI with 15% rate of interest of Credit Card

Reliance's partner will swipe the full amount on yr card and give the money to Reliance minus their fees. You are liable to pay the amounts as they will convert this to 24 mth EMIs.
If you have any dispute later on, you can't stop these charges as you are agreement is with Bank and not Reliance.
If you port out or change yr scheme etc, you wont get any refund.

This is based on my understanding but I have not visited any gallery.

Disclaimer: I'm associated with a rival telecom firm but my opinion is unbiased and based on facts I know
Old 10th November 2013, 19:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post

If you have any dispute later on, you can't stop these charges as you are agreement is with Bank and not Reliance.
If you port out or change yr scheme etc, you wont get any refund.
Yes, since payment is made in advance, there would be no scope to exit.

But what kind of dispute you anticipate or why would you want to change the scheme when you have already paid 24 month's advance. All that you have to do is enjoy the benefits of unlimited 3G & voice usage.

So if Reliance service/network in your area is good, you are a heavy user AND you want the latest iPhone in market, this offer looks excellent.

Yes, dispute can arise if network in your area turns out to be congested/sluggish in future.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Just took a look at http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/IN...ance/gsm_40409 comparing it to Vodafone 3G (which I personally use and feel is horrid) looks very scary to go for the Reliance plan, you can change and check it for your city as-well.
Old 11th November 2013, 21:47   #39
BHPian

This isn't any contract program. It's just a simple EMI scheme like others. But here, the advantage is; you are getting unlimited voice, data, SMS and roaming in Rs. 3000/-.

You can jolly well join a different operator the very next day of the purchase of the phone because the phone is unlocked from the day -1. But, you have to pay Rs. 3000/- PM through your credit card for 24 months and also pay the bill for the plan you might have taken from the new operator.

Good scheme for those who pay a monthly mobile bill of more than Rs. 1000/- and/or who believe that Reliance is an honest company and they maintain transparency.

Good luck. Happy speaking.
Old 12th November 2013, 18:39   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Apparently, all stock on Reliance's hands has been sold out. 10,000 bookings up.

News Link
Old 13th November 2013, 18:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Apparently, all stock on Reliance's hands has been sold out. 10,000 bookings up.

News Link
Thats bull, no way they have sold 10,000 phones. I just got a call from them today asking if I wanted a phone and telling me which showroom has the required stock.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:29   #42
BHPian

Apple fails to honor the iPhone buyback offer

New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India-iphone4s5cbuyback-1.jpg

Apple India launched a very lucrative offer for the consumer some time ago, an exchange scheme which would bring down the cost of owning the iPhone 5C and iPhone 4S considerably through a buyback offer.

The BuyBack offer from Apple reads that in exchange for an iPhone 4 (8 and 16GB variants) Apple would offer a minimum discount of Rs. 13,000. The offer continues to state that the discount offered could be higher depending on the condition of the phone. Through this exchange offer, the iPhone 5c would come down to at least Rs. 28,900 from its original price of Rs. 41,900 and the iPhone 4S would cost Rs. 18,500 instead of Rs. 31,500. The buyback scheme also includes other newer smartphones and will fetch you a higher discount, depending on the condition of the phone, however, one this is very clear; the MINIMUM discount is Rs. 13,000. So what happens when you actually go to a store to avail this incredible offer? We found out the hard way.

Read the Full Story at ThinkDigit <<Click Here>>

Last edited by iVento : 2nd January 2014 at 10:32.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Where is the benefit we're getting? If we're paying 3K per month for 24 months, that's 72K overall! whereas the actual price is 53500/-!

Its as good as buying iPhone from any store and converting to EMI. The only so called "Benefits" is the reliance plan, if its considered as so.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:43   #44
BHPian

RCOM Increases iPhone 5S Bundled Offer by 20% to 3,600 Per Month

http://capitalmind.in/2013/12/rcom-i...600-per-month/
Old 29th October 2014, 21:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Is this scheme available on the Iphone 6 as well? Here's a screen grab of what I found on the Rcom website. But sadly the Buy Now link is not working!

New iPhone 5C/5S for just Rs 2,599/2,999 per month : Contract scheme now in India-capture.png

Link: http://shop.rcom.co.in/mobile-iphone#

Most Viewed