Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

AMD which motherboard to buy?

I am planning to buy an AMD Athlon 3000 CPU this month, and am wondering about which motherboard to buy. I was interested in ASUS a8n vm csm (whats delhi Nehru Place price?), gigabyte k8n-gmf9, ASUS K8N-VM, ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 ... etc. My primary requirement are Nvidea 6100 or 6150 integrated in the mobo. Only problem is that most of these mobos dont have an SVideo out, forcing me to buy a graphic card as well . I want to delay the purchase of graphic card. In any case, please recommend the most cost effective mobo for AMD Athlon 3000.... Thanks for your replies.
Also found Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe (nForce4 SLiX16).... which one is better, nForce4 or GeForce 6150? Whats the difference?
I am lost...
Old 19th June 2006, 17:59   #2
BHPian

For AMD the best board is the ASUS with Nvidia chipset. The ASUS A8N32-SLi you have shotlisted is a very good board go for that. I have got the same configuration assembled for couple of my friends.
Old 19th June 2006, 18:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ok here is a tentative configuration I have in mind:

Asus A8N-VM CSM - 4.5k (No TV-OUT.... hate this)
AMD Athlon 3000 - 5.5k
Cabinet 400 W - 1.5k
TV Tuner + Remote - 1.5k
RAM 512 - 2k
Hard Disk 80 GB Seagate Baracuda- 2.5k
DVD Combo - 1.5k
Mouse + Keyboard WireLess - 1.5k
Monitor 17 inch Real Flat (Viewsonic E72f+) - 6.5k
Speaker Altec Lansing 2.1 - 2.5 k
=======================================
Total Cost - 29.5k
=======================================

The mobo I have shortlisted has a TV Encoder... does this mean that it has inbuilt TV Tuner? Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I am lost.

I will add graphic card later.
Now the question I have is specific, I want to know the difference in graphics between nForce 4 mobo and GeForce 6150 based mobo. I know that GeForce 6150 mobo has better graphics than to have a dedicated AGP 5500 from Nvidea.
Now what I am not sure is where does nForce 4 fit in as far as on board graphics are concerned. As my first priority is to delay addition of a dedicated PCIe Card. I know that nForce4 can give you 2 slots for PCIe cards working in parallel etc. but what about its on board graphics compared to 6150? Does it support Directx9? What is the current street price.
Also please feel free to suggest anything else in above configuartion? I am willing to change. I plan to add RAM also at a later date.
BTW my freind is in Singapore, but I checked some websites there and their prices seem to be more or less the same in Nehru Place, or are they a lot cheaper there?
Please let me know..... the goal is to have a decent Entertainment System.... but add gradually.

Last edited by aseem : 19th June 2006 at 18:32.
Old 19th June 2006, 20:36   #4
BHPian

Hi,

I have ASUS - A8N VM CSM Mobo, itz quite good U need to take extra connector to have TV out.

You can also go for MSI series. they have TV Out options.
Old 19th June 2006, 20:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash2757
Hi,

I have ASUS - A8N VM CSM Mobo, itz quite good U need to take extra connector to have TV out.

You can also go for MSI series. they have TV Out options.
How much does this extra connector cost and how easily is it available? The MSI series you are refering too, any particular mobo in mind? Prices please?
Old 19th June 2006, 21:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Monitor 17 inch Real Flat (Viewsonic E72f+) - 6.5k.
Aseem just a simple suggestion avoid the Viewsonic monitor.Its like after a year or two you dont get spares for them.Am facing this problem as i have five Viewsonic monitors at my place and after two years one by one each monitor started giving problems and getting the spares for them was a real pain and one monitor is still at the service centre due to non availability of spares.Try the samsung or the lg brands and check out the gigabyte lcd montiors,heard they cost lesser then the other lcd monitors available in the market.

Cheers Ed...
Old 19th June 2006, 21:59   #7
BHPian

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizon...ecommends.html

This migh help you as u can see rohitdr is right...btw rohit how much is this asus A8N32 SLI mainboard
Old 19th June 2006, 22:22   #8
BHPian

That connector is not available in India :(.. Sorry abt that U can order from ASUS site for 10 $. Well I took ASUS A8N-VM CSM bcoz it has got awesome new GeForce Graphics card on board.

MSI K8N Series is good,. I will try to give exact mother board no soon.
Old 19th June 2006, 22:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I use a A8N-E from Asus.
Its the best!
Old 19th June 2006, 22:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I am planning to buy an AMD Athlon 3000 CPU this month, and am wondering about which motherboard to buy. I was interested in ASUS a8n vm csm (whats delhi Nehru Place price?), gigabyte k8n-gmf9, ASUS K8N-VM, ASRock K8NF4G-SATA2 ... etc. My primary requirement are Nvidea 6100 or 6150 integrated in the mobo. Only problem is that most of these mobos dont have an SVideo out, forcing me to buy a graphic card as well . I want to delay the purchase of graphic card. In any case, please recommend the most cost effective mobo for AMD Athlon 3000.... Thanks for your replies.
Also found Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe (nForce4 SLiX16).... which one is better, nForce4 or GeForce 6150? Whats the difference?
I am lost...

first of all is that a Socket 754 or socket 939 cpu that you are looking at?
I would prefer socket 939 Athlon 3000 as socket 754 lacks dual channel memory usage.

Did you check out this link? I dunno if all the motherboards are available in India or not but this link can help you with some options.

http://www.amdboard.com/socket_939_boards.html

btw why look at SLI when you dont even want a GPU?
Old 19th June 2006, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
btw why look at SLI when you dont even want a GPU?
Good point,man.
@Aseem:He's right. Think about it.
Old 19th June 2006, 23:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I wont say much but i have like changed 3 amds till now and what i have experienced till now is ASUS boards works best. The second best was MSI ones. So if u going to get ASUS board please stay away from the board which say X-series. They are not of good quality and have a lot of problems.

I am currently using AMD 64 Bit Opetron with ASUS board and i am too happy with performance.

And the Nforce boards are one of the best AMD can have. I also had Nforce with AMD 2000+ XP

Juts my $0.02
Old 19th June 2006, 23:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ok, can someone tell me what is SLI all about and benefits?

As per my understanding, SLI increases bus speed etc. allows you to use 2 PCIe graphic cards running in parallel etc. and gives better graphics. But doesnt have an onboard graphic card, but allows for PCIe GPU.

In my case I am planning to add a GPU later... is it a good idea than to go with Nvidea 6150 mobo from ASUS or MSI? What are advantages of SLI over Nvidea 6150 mobo?

If I do go with SLI mobo, which graphic card should I go for in 5-6k budget?

@ Dev I am planning to go for socket 939 CPU.

Do any of the mobos I have mentioned support dual proc?

@ egangsta Regarding monitor, I can go for an LG instead, but I loved the looks of Viewsonic, not the price factor.

Thanks for all your responses.
Old 20th June 2006, 00:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi aseem first what is a SLI (Scalable_Link_Interface)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

It will allow u to put 2 display cards into one cpu. If u are a game freak only then go for it else drop it out of the box....

Rest for the gpu card u can go for 6600gt it a good card and will handle all the new games in good resolutions with all the eye candy in off mode.

For the MB go for which has a pci express slot and 939 pin cpu slot . it will help u in future upgrades.

With the 939 cpu u can futher upgrade it to dual core amd cpu .....
Old 20th June 2006, 00:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Is the MCI K8NGM2-FID avaiable in India? Whats the approx price? Does it have video out unlike the ASUS A8N-VM CSM?[/COLOR]
Which mobo would you suggest between the above two and how much approx would they cost. I think both of them have nearly same specs, though MCI is 8.1 audio. I am not sure if the MCI has video out. If it does than I will surely go for it....

Any other monitors you guys can suggest with model number? Preferable Real Flat within 8k bugdet.

Which TV tuner card should I go for, and approx price. I want the ability to record programs as well. How many FPS is good?

For Windows Media Center Edition, do I need the Microsoft Remote with Infrared combo for 1200 Rs or Can I use the Remote from my TV Tuner card?

Last edited by aseem : 20th June 2006 at 00:15.

Most Viewed