Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 11:25   #1
BHPian

Apple files patent for blocking drivers from sending SMS

A recent report in "The Times of India" mentions that American tech giant Apple has filed a patent application for a system that does not allow drivers to send text messages while driving.

Quote:
Apple has filed a patent application for a system that aims to make texting at the wheels impossible by blocking drivers from sending messages from cellphones.

The system creates "lockout mechanism" to disable cellphones from performing certain functions, such as texting while one is driving. The patent describes how sensors in a mobile phone could tell how quickly a person was moving and would be sensitive enough to work out weather a person was in the driving seat or in a safe operating area in a vehicle, allowing passengers to text as normal.

"A handheld computing device can provide a lock out mechanism without requiring any modifications or additions to a vehicle," the patent said. The device can comprise a motion analyser, a scenery analyser and a lock-out mechanism. The motion analyser can detect whether the handheld computing device is in motion beyond a predetermined threshold level.

The patent further develops the idea and says the vehicle itself could contain technology that could effectively block the signal to phone inside the moving car
I wonder how successful will be this idea. What confuses me in the report is the fact which mentions that the technology could effectively block the signal to phone inside the moving car. Then in that case the report does not clarify if the voice signals also get blocked.

I think this application if works well will be able to curtail vehicle accidents because of phones.

Link to the news item:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
mints21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 12:44   #2
BHPian

re: Apple files patent for blocking drivers from sending SMS

How can they detect whether a user is driving or not and one important thing how can they track the owner of a phone and its owner at at the same time detect he is driving?
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
American tech giant Apple has filed a patent application for a system that does not allow drivers to send text messages while driving.

I wonder how successful will be this idea. What confuses me in the report is the fact which mentions that the technology could effectively block the signal to phone inside the moving car.
Sir, It's a good initiative but in the Indian context it appears as a far-fetched probability in terms of getting implemented. My question here is that; as we know the Indian roads are prone to uncalled for situations, So, won't this mechanism be a hindrance in such situations ? How can a person in such a situation get in touch with his/her family ?

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
How can they detect whether a user is driving or not and one important thing how can they track the owner of a phone and its owner at at the same time detect he is driving?
Good point! I don't think this is possible without employing the use of GPS/ Mobile Data.
MetalBuff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 17:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Good point! I don't think this is possible without employing the use of GPS/ Mobile Data.
Even with GPS/Mobile data the owner of the phone cannot be confirmed. Cant he be a passenger and even if it detects no other person can use the mobile while the owner is driving?
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks