Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 08:51   #16
BHPian

Hey, I'm looking for one too. Not the overly complicated ones like quicken, but something simple enough to keep track of how much I spend on what and generate a monthly report.
Old 28th March 2008, 08:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

I use https://www.moneytrackin.com/
For something which sits on your home computer, there's gnucash
Old 28th March 2008, 09:52   #18

I use GnuCash. Very nice full featured Double Entry accounting package. Runs on Linux and on Mac OS via X11. They now have a 'Windows' version as well.

I only use the Linux and Mac versions so YMMV.

Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

Download link
Old 28th March 2008, 10:26   #19
BHPian

Take a home loan, take a car loan, get married.
You will not be left with any money to manage!
Old 28th March 2008, 10:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

^ Key above is that you pay for your marriage, not yer inlaws.
Else you have even more cash to manage
Old 28th March 2008, 11:05   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There're big, fat, monstrous programs like microsoft money or quicken that eat up disk space quicker than you can blink and offer a lot of services, most of which are useless in the Indian context (like one click download and updation of banking transactions, tax computation etc.)
I can tell you, as a 5 year MS Money user, that there is nothing big and fat about the software. Its fast, reliable and very convenient. Of course, just as with MS excel, it comes loaded with a plethora of features which you may or may not use. The options tab offers you a high level of customisation so that you may tweak as per your individual needs.

MS Money a pretty intuitive software once you get used to it. Yup, I swear by it!
Old 28th March 2008, 11:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

MS Money is recommended (based on my experience).

Plus points:
1. If you have account with HSBC, HDFC (and few other banks that support MS Money Export) then you can sync it in a few clicks.
2. It reminds you of pending credit card bills
3. It tracks spending by category and remembers that for future transactions.
3. Debt analysis feature is amazing... you can calculate various debt scenarios. Helps a lot if you have home loan /car loan. You can easily analyze which loan to pay first if you have some money. And whether you should pre-pay at all or invest since it keeps track of investments as well.

Now BIG NEGATIVE POINT

It COMPLETELY close/opaque.

If you want to access data in MS Money from some other software, you just can't do that without pain.

And that include other versions of MS Money. If you buy India version of MS Money and move to US 2 years down the line, US version will not import data from India version.
Old 28th March 2008, 11:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can tell you, as a 5 year MS Money user, that there is nothing big and fat about the software. Its fast, reliable and very convenient. Of course, just as with MS excel, it comes loaded with a plethora of features which you may or may not use. The options tab offers you a high level of customisation so that you may tweak as per your individual needs.

MS Money a pretty intuitive software once you get used to it. Yup, I swear by it!
Thanks GTO. I haven't used either Money or Quicken. The 'big, monstrous' etc. adjectives came from some of reviews I read online. Since you're so happy with Money, I think I'll give it a try... maybe I'll revert to you for some tips in case I get stuck?

Wim
Old 28th March 2008, 13:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
..MS Money a pretty intuitive software once you get used to it. Yup, I swear by it!
I've checked the Microsoft Money website. Is there any India specific software or do I need to buy from the US site itself. ALso, which variant do you think will do for personal finances.. Thanks in advance..
Old 28th March 2008, 14:41   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think I'll give it a try... maybe I'll revert to you for some tips in case I get stuck?
Sure thing!

Quote:
Is there any India specific software or do I need to buy from the US site itself. ALso, which variant do you think will do for personal finances.. Thanks in advance..
Start with the base, and upgrade if and when you need to. I am not aware of any India spec version.
Old 28th March 2008, 14:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

You can download trial version of Money Plus at Free Microsoft Money Plus 60-Day Trial

Thats ways you would know if you like this package or not.
Old 28th March 2008, 15:57   #27
Team-BHP Support

If you don't want to pay anything and want to do basic stuff gnucash is pretty good.
I tried it for some time, but later moved to moneytracking because I needed something even more basic. gnucash has lots of features which I won't be using, and its not web based.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:10   #28
rkg
Senior - BHPian

i have installed Gnucash for windows. it installed properly but not opening. even after restart of the PC. what could be the reason.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:13   #29
Team-BHP Support

Any error message you see?
Old 28th March 2008, 16:15   #30
rkg
Senior - BHPian

no error messages at all.

Most Viewed