Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2006, 18:05   #1
BANNED

Accounting (Credit /Debit) Software needed

Is there any software in which we can make records of our bills,Emi,creditcard bills ?Or we have to do it by only excel ? & Wjich software is used to make bills ?
Old 18th July 2006, 18:18   #2
BHPian

If its for your personal use you could make an excel sheet or search for it on the net. There are scores of other personal financial management tools also available.

I use tally for office use. Its an accounting package and does help me track of finances. But i still need an accountant tell me what it means.
Old 18th July 2006, 18:21   #3
BHPian

You can use Tally and i guess its not a freeware.

Did some googling and found that this is freeware . Chk this link or do some googling yourself

http://www.freeaccountingsoftware.net/
Old 18th July 2006, 20:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you want a good free software, its gnucash. Completely open source and is good enough for personal account keeping.
Tally is considered top of line, but then its for corporations, for you needs gnucash would do lovely
Old 19th July 2006, 00:05   #5
BHPian

Dont know if gnucash has a windows port?

Ever tried http://sourceforge.net/projects/grisbi4win ?
Old 19th July 2006, 09:44   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shoot ahead with Microsoft Money. For all your personal finances (including asset management, investments etc.). Even if you have to pay for the software, it offers tremendous value, convenience and security.

GTO
Old 19th July 2006, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

use excel, and make it to your liking. i have made a template that i use on excell to track all expences, i can share that with you. the bes is that you put in the columns that you feel are importan, like bank balances and total expenditures etc. that is only if its for personal use. if company use go with the above mentioned sw.
Old 19th July 2006, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Unless you are doing heavy duty computations to manage your personal finances and assets, excel should be more than sufficient.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:09   #9
BHPian

Microsoft money is really very powerful tool.

It has feature that can link to your bank transactions, so you need not do manual entry.

Offcourse, these are mainly US / Global banks.

But i must say, its a really good tool for personal use.

Not sure how useful it is for Fin. professionals.

Last edited by vishaltanksale : 19th July 2006 at 15:10.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

MS Money all the way. It even helps you create your monhtly budget, track your loan EMI etc. The basic version should be good enough for you......
I have delux version. It should cost around Rs.2000. Go to www.microsoft.com/India and check for your local retailers. If you have somebody coming from US, request them to get it for you. I bought mine at Sam's club for $25 against $50 online at Microsoft.com
Old 20th July 2006, 16:40   #11
BANNED

Thank's all for your help !
I've download the ms money but can't figure it now
Old 20th July 2006, 16:58   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just take a little time finding your way around. Once you are acquainted with it, theres no other way to manage your finances.

I would advice you to create different accounts, and categories to start with. Let the rest follow.

GTO
Old 20th July 2006, 18:06   #13
BHPian

Another good one is Intuit's "Quicken", I been using this software for over 4 years now and in comparison to Money its far more stable and feature rich (Microsoft basically saw the ever increasing popularity of Quicken, so they desided to copy their concept and came out with Money). Both software pretty much will cover all your basic needs.

Setting up accounts is also very easy and in most cases is automated... just download the file from your financial institute and the software will do the rest (populate account numbers etc)

here is a link for a quick comparison... http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6405_7-6300281.html
Old 12th March 2007, 19:12   #14
BANNED

Sounds like a stupid Question But i'm not really into these things -
I've to make a Record list of Emi On which date i've to pay/Due Like that Which program is required ? Excel ?
Which software does Shopkeepers used to make bills ?
Old 27th March 2008, 23:49   #15
BHPian

Personal Finance Software

Although I work for a Bank, I'm ashamed to say I'm always in a complete mess when it comes to personal finances. Fortunately, I've not been reaaaallly stretched for money yet (one of the perks of being single, I'm told ). However, with a car loan already running and a housing loan looming in the near future, its high time I bring some sanity to my cash flows.

I tried making a budget spreadsheet and even downloaded some free excel templates from microsoft's website, but working them becomes quite tedious after a few days. I looked for an easier option on the net - basically what are called 'personal finance softwares' and came across a whole plethora of them. There're big, fat, monstrous programs like microsoft money or quicken that eat up disk space quicker than you can blink and offer a lot of services, most of which are useless in the Indian context (like one click download and updation of banking transactions, tax computation etc.) There's a cute little spreadsheet based software called you need a budget, which seems to be quite good from the reviews on the net but is a tad too expensive for something's that just 5MB in size (not sure whether its VFM). Then there are about 50 different softwares between these two, which promise anything from immediately prosperity to eternal financial nirvana (moneydance, mvelopes etc.). Even came across an Indian software (Easylife), but it didn't have positive reviews so dropped the idea (its also obscenely expensive - almost thrice the price of microsoft money or quicken basic versions!!).

I was wondering whether you guys have used any of these softwares. Would be glad if you could share your experience in case you have, especially with regard to their usefulness in the Indian context.

Cheers,
Wim

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks