Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 20:53   #1
BHPian

Android app to rate your driving style!

Hi guys,

Came across this nice app which takes feedback from an android mobile sensors, and rates a certain trip based on your driving style. Positive points are awarded for smooth acceleration, decent breaking etc, and points are deducted for fast corners (guilty! ), sudden breaks and frequent pedal to metals. Basically, defensive driving is encouraged.

Also, you get a points breakup by each 2 kms, overlayed on a Google map, which traces your entire route. Average speed, top speed, duration of trip is also reported. The map view also shows the rewards and punishments at the exact points where you got them.

Overall, it's a pretty decent app which will give you feedback on your driving style.
So get it installed on your android mobile and start driving! And post screenshots, let's see how sane, or insane (within forum limits ) you are!

Download link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.decos.flo

Application name: Flo

Overall view:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205059.png

trip overview:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205109.png

trip detail:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205129.png

hard acceleration:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205144.png

Hard brake:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205151.png

smooth acceleration:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205158.png

fast corner:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205207.png

easy brake:
Android app to rate your driving style!-screenshot_20140704205216.png

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 4th July 2014 at 21:13.
cr4nkshaft is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 21:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Android app to rate your driving style!

A great idea. Even acceleration is something I can manage but hard braking is something forced upon me many times in our roads
Old 4th July 2014, 22:28   #3
BHPian

Yep, each one of mine has a cycle rider or a shuttle taxi acting insane behind it... :-(
Old 5th July 2014, 04:18   #4
BHPian

Imagine if public transport vehicles (buses, autos,cabs) came factory fitted with such a monitoring system and "rash" drivers would be sacked - it would introduce discipline to the masses overnight!
bravo6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 08:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great idea but I found it an unmitigated disaster in my morning 20km usage.
For a 2km stretch i cruised at 60 kph in fifth which you'd consider as frugal driving? it gave me zero points. While driving through a main road via a residential area, it would give me points for smooth acceleration (whether sudden or gently smooth, doesn't matter) and easy braking. Doesn't matter whether its from zero to fifty or from 70 to 120, you get the same smooth acceleration points! it should've fined me for overspeeding in the city, no?

but if acceleration/braking are the only way to "get points", it doesn't come across as very logical to me. You need to factor in cruising as well.

The only thing I liked - If I gave bursts of speed / braking, it gave much less points. Not worth keeping the app around for that.

Oh, and yes, the interface is very nice, although a bit distracting if you mount it in your field of vision. not very safe to monitor it while driving in busy traffic IMHO.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Yes, you should turn it on and let it be in glove box. Dash mounted view is distracting.

And I had mailed them yesterday about the frugal driving part, I stayed at 65 kmph for about 10 kms, and I only got points for smooth acceleration at the beginning and easy brake at the end.

Also, they fail to take current traffic condition in equation, though arguably it is a very dynamic thing and hard to integrate.

The best this would be useful is for highway drives, not our chaotic city drives.

Please give feedback to them, this has potential to be a nice addition to our tech arsenal while driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post
Imagine if public transport vehicles (buses, autos,cabs) came factory fitted with such a monitoring system and "rash" drivers would be sacked - it would introduce discipline to the masses overnight!
Yes, this has a nice niche use as vehicle tracker if you own a commercial car driven by driver. Charge an el cheapo android phone fully, turn location service on and leave it in the car glove box. At the end of the day, you get a complete driving report!

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th July 2014 at 20:15.
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 22:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

It has an auto record mode that is downright annoying. You only realize it AFTER it has eaten your battery up.

Uninstalled. Good riddance.

but yes, bravo and crankshaft. Tracking is an excellent idea. Not suitable for people who often forget to charge their phones overnight!

Last edited by phamilyman : 5th July 2014 at 22:49.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 15:06   #8
BHPian

Hey nice, liked it. Atleast I found out that it took me 49 minutes to travel 14Km at 19Kmph.
Also the hard acceleration/ braking though relative keeps me on my toes to get a clean 100.
Yesterday, in my car, got a 65 score. Today was on my bike and got a 90
Will try more and give inputs if it really works in aiding a driver/ rider.
Old 7th July 2014, 20:19   #9
BHPian

Great to hear you're using our app, and maybe greater to hear that you like our app. The trip overall score is calculated on base of the segments, not every segments counts the same. You've two segments one of a distance of 10km(for highways) and one of a distance of 2km(for city-usage).*
Like that you're thinking with us! I will communicate the idea of the straight line with the developing team!*J*We already have a steady speed!

Thanks for your great feedback!

Best regards,

Wouter

Verzonden:*vrijdag 4 juli 2014 17:11
Aan:*DriveFlo Support
Onderwerp:*Flo

▼ Hide quoted text

Hi,

Started using your app today, and based on what I have seen, it's pretty good. Can you please let me know how the overall trip score is calculated? Also, I feel two more points can be added to the "plus score" ratings,

1. Holding a steady speed. I could see large sections where I have held a set speed (say 50-60 kmph) without any ratings. That sedated driving style should be rewarded.

2. Holding a straight line over a straight road. I am not sure if you can get lane-change swerves from android parameters. However, infrequent lane change means defensive and sane driving, so that should be rewarded.

Hope these were constructive feedback, and hope to get updates soon!*
Congratulations once again on a great app! :-)

Thanks and regards,

This is the developers response to a mail I sent to them. Not sure how they differentiate between city/highway....

Last edited by cr4nkshaft : 7th July 2014 at 20:21.
Old 7th July 2014, 22:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how can i see trip detail (like where did i did hard accleration and so on), *after* the trip has completed?
Old 7th July 2014, 22:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you are a sedate driver then you can turn this app on and feel happy and if you are an aggressive driver then also its worth a try.

However, it needs a lot of improvement before people would really want to use it. There are a whole lot of other variables in play which need to be measured before concluding someone's driving style, acceleration, braking and cornering don't cover everything.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 06:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Anyone knows how can i see trip detail (like where did i did hard accleration and so on), *after* the trip has completed?
Top left corner, sidebar menu comes up, touch "all trips". Select week if necessary from the top drop down. All your trips for that week is listed below. Click any specific trip to see the summary and map. Click the map for points breakup and trip details.

Most Viewed