Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2006, 14:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

HELP - Office LAN / Internet / E-mail Solution needed

Guys ,

Need help out here. The I.T guys pay attention please...

Our office has a LAN Server and all other computers are connected to it. We have a SIFY Broadband connection (256 kbps) for accessing the internet. The SIFY connection is on one computer say 'A' , from there it is accessed by 2 other computers by installing WinProxy on computer 'A'.

Now we want to give internet access to all computers on the LAN. I have questions here -

1) How do we go about this ? Via WinProxy ? Or is there a better way ?

2) Will 256 kbps be sufficient with atleast 6-7 computers accessing the net at one time ?

3) We have a email id on rediff and gmail. All mails are downloaded into Mozilla Thunderbird on computer 'A'. Is it possible to distribute mails addressed to the concerned persons on their desk ? How ? Internet or Intranet ? Will any software like POSTMASTER work with gmail and rediff email ids ?

4) We need a copy of replies sent by each person from his desk to a customer at one centralised place (ie computer A) ? How is it possible ? By marking the reply CC to our main email id or is there a better way ?

5) Also all computers on LAN are connected thru cables. I need some pointers on how to go about changing it to wirefree.

So guys , what do you say ? Replies needed urgently as I have to finish all this by midweek.

Thanks fellas

Last edited by normally_crazy : 23rd July 2006 at 14:10.
Old 23rd July 2006, 15:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
2) Will 256 kbps be sufficient with atleast 6-7 computers accessing the net at one time ?
3) We have a email id on rediff and gmail. All mails are downloaded into Mozilla Thunderbird on computer 'A'. Is it possible to distribute mails addressed to the concerned persons on their desk ? How ? Internet or Intranet ? Will any software like POSTMASTER work with gmail and rediff email ids ?
4) We need a copy of replies sent by each person from his desk to a customer at one centralised place (ie computer A) ? How is it possible ? By marking the reply CC to our main email id or is there a better way ?
5) Also all computers on LAN are connected thru cables. I need some pointers on how to go about changing it to wirefree.
1)In my office I have three pc's. I have connected one to the net using dsl connection and all the three using a switch.Now there is a small util in xp named 'netsetup' run it and u can get to select the pc with the dsl connection to share the net or by checking the box here is a pic of the same...

this way u can have a single pc connecting the net and the other pcs sharing from it . I am using this setup since 2 year no problem till now.

I dont know about win proxy the above setup is fine with me...

2) 256kbps is a good speed if used at 100% efficency u can download approx 85-90 MB data. Now it all depends what is ur surffing habit. If u are downloading big files the 256 will be very less but if u normal surfing the net chatting Viewing forum like tbhp the 256 line would be sufficent for u . i have seen cyber cafes using a 256 line, and all the customers are happily surfing...

3) franlky I dont know about it but will try getting back to u on this..( i havent used this one) but one thing u can try make seperate acounts of all the users on gmail so every body will get seprate mail. but as you have said u have a single id of the office this might look a difficult option to u.

4)making cc is a very good idea or we can say desi juggar in india....lol.

5) if they all are desktop dont go for wireless. I have seen my freind using wirless on his laptop he all ways keep shifting left or right to make the link stable. he has a zyxel access point. For a very stable wireless network the cost of equipment will be very high. so again if all desktop remain wired... dont go wireless and stay connected..
Old 23rd July 2006, 20:33   #3
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Proxy is only needed if you want to regulate internet access.... otherwise you can do well with MS inbuilt internet connection sharing...

Also .. about the reply... at one place thing...
if you are ok with downloading all sent mails from different comps to one comp at the end of the day then... u can do it with a simple outlook profile opening all 7-8 pst there.

Also for wireless.... just put an access point ... and 7-8 wi-fi cards.... and u are done. (could set u back by about 7-8 k)
Old 23rd July 2006, 21:40   #4
BHPian

You can buy a small firewall appliance which will give you entire lan internet access + security as well for your entire LAN.
Old 23rd July 2006, 21:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

NC, have you checked with SIFY what would they suggest, regarding the internet access for all comp's?

How many comp's do you have? If it is not many, then you could check up on the option of using an internet router/hub - something like what a Belkin / D-Link would have. These routers have one port connected to the WAN [internet] and a few ports that can serve as a hub for ur local connections.
this can also be your firewall.

#4:all mails sent out woul be saved in the se nt mails folder. ?
Old 23rd July 2006, 22:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

D-Link & Belkin have models which are also wire-less capable. I dont know what models are avlbl in India, hence suggest you check with your regular dealer/ anyone you know who deals with these devices.

If you do use a wire-less capable device, then the wireless capability can be used for temp comp's. I would try to not use wireless for regular connections because of the speeds. Security is also a possible issue with wireless. And if your neighbor is tech-savvy, you could be un-intentionally providing him with a free internet connection.
Old 24th July 2006, 00:47   #7
Team-BHP Support

256kbps is quite less for 6-7 comps. If lot of people are surfing you will have very poor speed

If you go the wireless way, you just need a router-access point. You dont even need to have the main computer connected. Just connect your router to sify BBand connection, and all the computers in range can access the internet.

As for mail forwarding, I am not too sure what you can do on windows, but for linux one way is to setup a pop server(can be done on windows too, google for some stuff).
Old 24th July 2006, 08:40   #8
BHPian

I would suggest that you goin for a wireless router.. I'm assuming that you already have a network switch which is connecting you existing setup to your server...

Once you have the wireless router in place, connect your DSL modem to the router, your DSL modem should have DHCP enabled, or you manually confgure your IP addresses on your machines. you connect your new router to your existing network switch.. this will automatically distribute your internet connection amongst all the PCs on your network.. no need of win proxy.. you can use wi-fi enabled laptops to connect to the wireless network, but its not advisable to connect your office network on Wi-Fi..

Here's an example of the IP config:
DSL Modem: 192.168.1.1
Wi-Fi Router: 192.168.1.2
PC1: 192.168.1.3.. etc...

P.S. you should connect your DSL modem to a LAN port on your router, not on the Internet port for the above IP config..

I would recommend a Linksys WRT54G router, or else a D-Link one..

Now coming to your internet connection.. I would recommend a 1mbps line for 6-7 PCs.. you can go in for the BSNL Dataone plans.. something like the Home 3300 should suffice..

hope this info helps

cheers!
Shrivz..

Last edited by shrivz : 24th July 2006 at 08:44.
Old 24th July 2006, 10:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Guys ,

Need help out here. The I.T guys pay attention please...

Our office has a LAN Server and all other computers are connected to it. We have a SIFY Broadband connection (256 kbps) for accessing the internet. The SIFY connection is on one computer say 'A' , from there it is accessed by 2 other computers by installing WinProxy on computer 'A'.

Now we want to give internet access to all computers on the LAN. I have questions here -

3) We have a email id on rediff and gmail. All mails are downloaded into Mozilla Thunderbird on computer 'A'. Is it possible to distribute mails addressed to the concerned persons on their desk ? How ? Internet or Intranet ? Will any software like POSTMASTER work with gmail and rediff email ids ? .

So guys , what do you say ? Replies needed urgently as I have to finish all this by midweek.

Thanks fellas
1) Is this sify broadband with a static IP? .If you have a static ip then you can plug in to the router rather than connecting to a desktop or Server. In this case you can avoid a proxy server.

2) Yes

3) Sify has a mailing solution (Cost effective). The better option is to go for a Lotus Notes based messaging.Postmaster, As far as I understand , No.

4) You can Customize Lotus Notes for this purpose.

5) Wire free is not suggestable for a setup where in huge chunks of data is flowing across the lan. I fyou don't have much data transported across, then you can go for WiFi.
Old 24th July 2006, 10:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect
1) Is this sify broadband with a static IP? .If you have a static ip then you can plug in to the router rather than connecting to a desktop or Server. In this case you can avoid a proxy server.
Static IP would not be a necessity for connecting more machines through a router.
Quote:
4) You can Customize Lotus Notes for this purpose.
Would involve more cost for Lotus Notes ..
Old 24th July 2006, 11:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Static IP would not be a necessity for connecting more machines through a router.

Would involve more cost for Lotus Notes ..
Then How can the router and the machines configured for the DNS and Gateway without a static ip?

Lotus Notes Customization is not a hectic one, only thing that you need to create a policy/rule in the server setting while creating the Server IDs and user ids. A seven user license for Lotus Notes is 45-50K approx.
Old 24th July 2006, 11:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

People where is NC ???? who has put up the question. Let us here from him what the real situation is.....
Old 24th July 2006, 11:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

While we wait for NC ...

Quote:
Then How can the router and the machines configured for the DNS and Gateway without a static ip?
NC has not mentioned anything abt hosting a website on his office network, and neither is he running a mail server. Hence, we dont need a static ip. A public IP will be assigned by SIFY upon connection, and that is enough to connect to the internet. DNS, Gateway for the router will be given dynamically by the SIFY network to the local router when you connect. Gateway for the local machines will be the IP of the router.

Quote:
Lotus Notes Customization is not a hectic one, ... A seven user license for Lotus Notes is 45-50K approx.
Customization and configuration are the easy parts - it's just the cost of the licence that can kill. Let's see what NC says abt the cost part.

Last edited by condor : 24th July 2006 at 11:36.
Old 25th July 2006, 19:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys - dissapeared after posting the question- Im stuck here at office in the MOTHER of all AUDITS by Ford India.

Here is an update -

Quote:
This is solved.

Quote:
Now that many computers are connected to the net - this part is under testing , will keep u guys updated.

Quote:
This is the part where I need help , will get back hopefully tomorrow to you guys with detailed report on what I want.

Quote:
This is the part where I need help , will get back hopefully tomorrow to you guys with detailed report on what I want.

Quote:
Idea dropped

Thanks for your replies fellas. Keep those ideas flowing please.

Most Viewed