Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2006, 14:09   #1
F50
Senior - BHPian

Microsoft Zune(launched), the answer to Apple's iPod

iPod is the trend setter in portable music player and digital music industry and there are many more trend followers and one more name is joining the race against the iPod, this time its Microsoft with ZUNE.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4
Old 24th July 2006, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Zune may have the following features: Wi-Fi connectivity, video playback, Xbox integration and some sort of community feature for letting music lovers interact with each other.
Old 25th July 2006, 19:40   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

May get some brickbats for this but I gotta admit...........I am a hard-core microsoft guy!

Quick one for the experts....why would anyone buy the Zune over the iPod?

GTO
Old 25th July 2006, 21:02   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Zune over iPod? As in now none of the features of Zune are known. Basically Zune will be made by partners and will use Microsoft Windows Media Technology.

There are few POSSIBLE features doing rounds like Wi-Fi, Xbox360 Integration, Mobile Phones running Microsoft Windows and PC ofcourse.
These being POSSIBLE features may not feature in the Zune when it will be launched. It is expected by this year's end. May be just before Christmas... So more information will be out soon!!

Till then iPod will be out with some major/minor improvements. Competition will be on. I just hope Microsoft dont make the same mistake as Apple to launch its product before testing it fully and making plenty of reliability checks!!

Last edited by F50 : 25th July 2006 at 21:03.
Old 15th September 2006, 00:05   #5
F50
Senior - BHPian

Microsoft Zune Launched.

Link1

Thanks Aalaap
Old 15th September 2006, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

For the store that I handle Market Research, opinions of prospective buyers show that ipod has more than half the music player market in its pocket. Even creative, samsung and Iriver which are some of the good sellers cant equal the sales of ipods togather.

PS:- The above study is based on sales of all ipods taken togather compared to the whole range of samsung creative and Iriver taken togather. One major advantage here is the range of ipods available compared to other music players.
Old 15th September 2006, 00:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
Till then iPod will be out with some major/minor improvements. Competition will be on. I just hope Microsoft dont make the same mistake as Apple to launch its product before testing it fully and making plenty of reliability checks!!
Apple have already introduced a slimmer and better version of the Nano now..and also the Ipod Video is now available in 80GB !..with a 60% brighter screen,and some more menu options..
www.ipod.com

P.S. - The prices have also been revised to $249 and $349 for the 30GB and 80GB Video models..cheaper than the previous prices..

-sr
Old 15th September 2006, 00:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Me tooo.. man microsft rock ... had to give a try to zune.. i never liked ipod
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
May get some brickbats for this but I gotta admit...........I am a hard-core microsoft guy!
Old 15th September 2006, 00:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
For the store that I handle Market Research, opinions of prospective buyers show that ipod has more than half the music player market in its pocket. Even creative, samsung and Iriver which are some of the good sellers cant equal the sales of ipods togather.
70% of the market according to Apple
Old 15th September 2006, 00:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
Apple have already introduced a slimmer and better version of the Nano now..and also the Ipod Video is now available in 80GB !..with a 60% brighter screen,and some more menu options..
www.ipod.com

P.S. - The prices have also been revised to $249 and $349 for the 30GB and 80GB Video models..cheaper than the previous prices..

-sr
what i liked the most was the 1gb shuffle. it is tinyyy. nd comes with a dock.

best of all its cheap. US$79
Old 15th September 2006, 00:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
70% of the market according to Apple

You are right, but this is the analysis for our store only. They hardly sell anything off the websites yet.

The best music player I have listened to until now are creative and Iriver compared to ipod.

Alienware was strictly OK and samsungs suck. there are various others like RIO, LYRA, RCA, SONY Walkman(recent ones sell hotttttt and sound good too)
Old 15th September 2006, 02:18   #12
BHPian

Zune hasn't been launched yet..it is slated for a November 2006 estimated launch..
-sr
Old 15th September 2006, 15:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
Zune hasn't been launched yet..it is slated for a November 2006 estimated launch..
-sr
Dude it was released yest 2.30 am ..... 299$ chck CNBC and BBC
Old 15th September 2006, 15:53   #14
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Ok.. I am no expert... but... here's what I think..
Zune would play wma+wmv in addition to all the other formats that ipod plays (though I think no mov files).... wma means much more music for the same space.
Zune would interface with Windows Media Player instead of that Pain in the A$$ itunes.
Zune might also accept direct music copy into the drive unlike ipod which insists on itunes.
Old 15th September 2006, 17:19   #15
BHPian

@GTO
1)Zune look promising cause of its huge Microsoft backing.
2)I'm sure microsoft is gonna force every consumer electronincs comapny to make compatible products for it.
Esp for car connectivity.. which is till now the IPOD's biggest adavantage over other players from toshiba, creative, iRiver, samsung etc.

@SLK-
1)The itunes is a pretty decent music jukebox. We all feel that APPLE is forcing us to use it in case we use the the iPod. But how come we dont realize that Microsoft is forcing us to use WM player in any case(Zune or Not).

Aside form the grudges that i hold against Microsoft. I do agree even Apple is crappy in its own ways.
1)I mean why cant they both decide on a common interface and let us choose whether to use WMP or iTunes for syncing.
2)Or how come the iPod cant support WMA and the Zune cant support AAC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks