Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:12   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Does Windows 10 Enterprise automatically saves WiFi passwords on Microsoft servers like other versions ?
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:43   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Does Windows 10 Enterprise automatically saves WiFi passwords on Microsoft servers like other versions ?
Yeah, when I upgraded, I didn't have to enter wifi passwords again.
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:48   #273
BHPian

Trying to upgrade 8 to 10.

Receiving the following error message.

This upgrade path is not supported. Please close Setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 2nd August 2015 at 17:49.
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:23   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
This upgrade path is not supported. Please close Setup and re-launch from the root of the media or go back and pick a different installation choice.
Very possible that you have the upgrade in a folder and it does not like it or the default boot drive may have to be changed (esp in laptops).

Do you have the ISO, then life may be simpler.
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:41   #275
BHPian

Some issues to be aware of:

Windows 10's New Feature Steals Your Internet Bandwidth

Windows 10: A Potential Privacy Mess, and Worse

Windows 10: Here are the privacy issues you should know about

Microsoft’s new small print – how your personal data is (ab)used
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:45   #276
BHPian

Quote:

Receiving the following error message.

Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

I remember reading during the run up to Windows 10 launch that upgrade from 8 to 10 will not be supported. So please first upgrade to 8.1 and then to 10. it should work.
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:48   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Which OS are you running? If it's 7 or 8.1 then double click on the ISO file, it will be mounted in Explorer as a DVD drive. Open that 'drive' and double click on setup.exe.

Do NOT attempt a clean install (wipe HDD/SSD etc) for the 1st installation instance. It must be done as an in-place upgrade for MS activation servers to recognise the upgrade and activate your copy.

PS - Come to think of it, I hope you downloaded the ISO from the MS site only.
Followed your advice and upgrade went smoothly, Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 19:18   #278
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the list, the first one was surprising
Old 2nd August 2015, 19:27   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Thanks for the list, the first one was surprising
These guys are following in Google's footsteps. One of the reasons Windows 10 is free. Nothing here is a surprise as Chrome, Gmail, Google account, the Android OS do much the same. Ironically MS called them Scroogle for this very reason.

Even Windows 8.1 had em albeit it was not as snoopy. These options were presented during setup as well.

Just be sure you go thru each of the privacy settings (Settings --> Privacy) and turn off those that you feel uncomfortable about.

If one really wants their personal data to stay private do not upload anything personal to any Cloud provider unless encrypted locally before transmission. Because once they have your unencrypted data a small print clause in their policies could allow them access in 'certain conditions circumstances'

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd August 2015 at 19:28.
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:56   #280
BANNED

It seems that using Privacy settings most 'thieves' can be disabled. However, you may have to open 13 pages to do that. Already Mozilla is up in arms against MS about making their new IE (forget the name) with 'Bing' near permanent, ie not easy to change.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I remember reading during the run up to Windows 10 launch that upgrade from 8 to 10 will not be supported. So please first upgrade to 8.1 and then to 10. it should work.
Yes, akbaree is right. Go to 8.1 and then upgrade. In fact Gurus like R2D2 may be able to advise if the ISO route will work with 8.0. Most of us left 8.0 ages ago.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd August 2015 at 09:55. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 2nd August 2015, 23:12   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It seems that using Privacy settings most 'thieves' can be disabled.
Windows 10 shares your Wi-Fi passwords with your social contacts. If you have the sharing setting (called Wi-Fi sense) disabled and when you share your password with your friend when he comes over, he will share this password with all his contacts (unless he has disabled the setting too).
If your neighbor is your Facebook friend then he can connect to your Wi-Fi without you sharing the password.
Old 2nd August 2015, 23:18   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Quote:
Yes, akbaree is right. Go to 8.1 and then upgrade. In fact Gurus like R2D2 may be able to advise if the ISO route will work with 8.0. Most of us left 8.0 ages ago.
Oh yes! However, managed to upgrade the primary laptop from 8.1 to 10. Will have to update my father in law's system to 8.1 first.

Thanks for the kind support.
Old 3rd August 2015, 05:04   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Don't format and clean install, since you don't have a Windows 10 key. Instead, follow this 2-step procedure:
  1. Firstly, perform an in-place upgrade 8.1 to Windows 10. That'll register your PC as a Windows 10 PC with Microsoft's activation servers. Confirm your PC with Windows 10 is activated.
  2. Then you can do a clean install of Windows 10 if you wish. When prompted for a license key during this setup, keep hitting Skip until the installation proceeds. Once you've installed Windows 10 cleanly, restart it, and verify that it has been activated. Activation will occur automatically and transparently since your PC is now recognized by Microsoft's activation servers as registered for Windows 10.

There's no clear answer to your question of whether an upgrade or clean install is better. If you have a tendency for your PC to get messy (many installed apps, trials, etc.) then a clean install gives you an opportunity for a fresh start.

However, if you've maintained your PC in a good state, then an in-place upgrade lets you get up to speed really quickly. I have upgraded 2 of my desktops using the ISO, and in each case it took less than 30 minutes for me to get back to using the desktop. Just remember to run a disk cleanup after you've confirmed everything's fine, to clean up the backups made of your earlier Windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
As noted, there is a 2 step process.
If you are reasonably skilled at formating/installing, then clean install once is what you should do. Will take time though depending on what softwares you install.
Upgrades are good enough for an average person.
Quote:
A clean install is better and faster, since it takes care of all the garbage which collects over a period of time. However, remember you have to reinstall everything. You may not have the software and/or the license information.

I will suggest an upgrade to get the system up and running and then take on from there.
Thanks guys. I already did an upgrade and I am activated on Win 10 Pro version. I did have a really clean installation of Windows 8.1 anyway so wondering if there is merit to do a clean install now.

Just do not want to go through the rigmarole of downloading all the Alienware drivers some of which are missing features when compared to Win 8.1.
Old 3rd August 2015, 06:49   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just do not want to go through the rigmarole of downloading all the Alienware drivers some of which are missing features when compared to Win 8.1.
I upgraded from 7 N and it doesnt look like i have to do any additional installation of any drivers.

Nvidia graphics was crashing even with WIndows 7. But strangely the control panel will never open in WIndows 10. Still working on that.

10 to feels faster as an OS compared to 7. To me 8 was compact and this feels right.

The browser is extremely fast but still chrome rules the roost with adblock and options.

All i did was initiate windows update for 10 and let the system take over.
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:36   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, when I upgraded, I didn't have to enter wifi passwords again.
That's bad, till 8.1 Enterprise edition did not do this. By any chance, were you using Microsoft's account for PC ?

Hope that no data is transferred to Microsoft if a local account is used and no Microsoft account is added.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks