Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:49   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thanks guys. I already did an upgrade and I am activated on Win 10 Pro version. I did have a really clean installation of Windows 8.1 anyway so wondering if there is merit to do a clean install now.

Just do not want to go through the rigmarole of downloading all the Alienware drivers some of which are missing features when compared to Win 8.1.
Do a backup on 1-2 disks of your C:. Recover to see if the backup is OK and then do whatever you want.

That is the way to do all sorts of stuff without worrying.
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:01   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That's bad, till 8.1 Enterprise edition did not do this. By any chance, were you using Microsoft's account for PC ?

Hope that no data is transferred to Microsoft if a local account is used and no Microsoft account is added.
If you use a local account no data will be sent to MS. Wi fi and other passwords are stored in the local user registry (user.dat) by default. Please review and configure the Privacy options in Settings.

If you have a MS account there's a possibility these will be copied across so that if you were to use another machine with a MSA, you wouldnt have to enter all your data again.

As I said before, this is nothing entirely new. Google has been doing it for years. In a multi device world synching across devices is convenient for most.

As an aside - this is the current list of security suites compatible with W10.

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=18689

Norton seems to be missing and that's a surprise because Symantec claims compatibility.

I will strongly recommend a 3rd party security suite or AV solution over the in-built Windows defender

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...tag=TRE17cfd61

PS - http://thehackernews.com/2015/07/bit...acked.html?m=1 LOL!

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd August 2015 at 10:09. Reason: Bitdefender
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:17   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you have a MS account there's a possibility these will be copied across so that if you were to use another machine with a MSA, you wouldnt have to enter all your data again.

As I said before, this is nothing entirely new. Google has been doing it for years. In a multi device world synching across devices is convenient for most.
So true. If you are connected, others will connect to you no matter.
In the tech world there is a saying along this lines: If the service is free, you are the product.

Why bug MS when everyone does it. What matters is that how transparent it is and how easy it is for an individual to opt out.
However, that is not the point of this thread.
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:38   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
So true. If you are connected, others will connect to you no matter. In the tech world there is a saying along this lines: If the service is free, you are the product.
Absolutely. Nothing is ever truly free. There's a price to pay directly (money) or indirectly. Otherwise there's no reason for Google, MS, FB, Twitter to spend billions on maintaining infrastructure, support and tech support staff, programmers et al if there's no monetisation of their products or services. Those CEOs would be sacked in an instant.

Quote:
Why bug MS when everyone does it. What matters is that how transparent it is and how easy it is for an individual to opt out.
However, that is not the point of this thread.
MS is a baby when it comes to snooping. Google and Facebook are the top dogs of this realm. Facebook especially is a real big turnoff for me. I log in only once in 1-2 months and never upload or discuss sensitive matters or photos either related to me, my family or friends. In all these years of FB I have uploaded 1-2 photos of me as a skinny teenager back in the '80s. Just to tickle the juniors at work.

To me, it's only a method to get n touch with long lost classmates, relatives, friends, colleagues and other people in my life. Period. Not to get "likes" on a photo of me eating an idli or a wada pav. That's so childish.
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:49   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Windows 10 shares your Wi-Fi passwords with your social contacts. If you have the sharing setting (called Wi-Fi sense) disabled and when you share your password with your friend when he comes over, he will share this password with all his contacts (unless he has disabled the setting too).
Thats scary, I need to check this on my machine.Where is this settings located. On my Wifi router, I have also restricted it by the MAC Ids, so the password alone will not help. Nonetheless dont want my passwords being shared around.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:16   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thats scary, I need to check this on my machine.Where is this settings located. On my Wifi router, I have also restricted it by the MAC Ids, so the password alone will not help. Nonetheless dont want my passwords being shared around.
There's a lot of FUD going on about W10.

Just go thru this article: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows...164057617.html

Also, since you have enabled Wi Fi MAC filters it's not an issue.

PS : How to turn off this 'feature'. I turned it off the minute I saw it the 1st time when I loaded the insider builds. LOL!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/w...i-fi-sense-faq

Can I use Wi‑Fi without using Wi‑Fi Sense?

Yes, you can still connect to a Wi‑Fi network on your own. If you don't want to use Wi‑Fi Sense, you can go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Manage Wi‑Fi settings, and then turn off Connect to suggested open hotspots and Connect to networks shared by my contacts.

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd August 2015 at 14:25.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:37   #292
BHPian

Quote:

PS : How to turn off this 'feature'. I turned it off the minute I saw it the 1st time when I loaded the insider builds. LOL!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/w...i-fi-sense-faq

Thx, thats helpful. I need to have that checked first. I think this thread is fast becoming an FAQ for upgrade
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:19   #293
Senior - BHPian

did the upgrade today at my work PC and then had to revert to win 7. Windows store kept crashing on me and did not want to open at all. It works in a different user account. Then there is no point in the upgrade as i dont want to reconfigure everything. Will be trying the upgrade again, hopefully will work this time. else will have to wait till i create a PST (should take a few days)

FWIW, this is the issue that I am facing - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-ff7da3c19ef5
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:30   #294
BANNED

@govigov;How about switching to another account and then switching back.
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:37   #295
BHPian

I've had windows 10 for sometime now.
Was first on the Technical Preview and then got upgraded on the 29th or 30th.

So far I am extremely happy with Windows 10.

after an initial problem with my touchpad driver [Technical Preview] everything has been ultra smooth.

no hiccups.

And about the sharing of Wifi Passwords to social contacts, you can turn that off, but most of my friends are on Facebook, if they come over [with their windows 10 devices] I'd rather they had my password already.

Waiting for the update to roll out onto my office computer.

I do really like the New Desktop feature
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:40   #296
BHPian

Guys, need suggestion(s) on the below.

I'm having a Dell Latitude E5540 laptop (got in August 2014) which comes with a finger print reader. It initially came with Windows 8.1 Pro and just couple of days back, I've upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro and every thing is fine as of now.

I've not configured or looked into the finger print reader when in 8.1. Now, I'm trying to setup the finger print reader and I cannot figure it how and where to setup. Under Settings->Accounts -> Sign-In options, finger print option is not found.

Hence, request to throw some light if I can use this facility to login to Windows 10 using finger print reader and not the usual password. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 3rd August 2015 at 20:44.
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:41   #297
Senior - BHPian

Running W10 on two machines as of now at home:

i3 4130 + MSI B85M Eco + 16GB + 256Gig Sandisk x210 SSD + ATI 7970 : This puppy installed with one slight hiccup - Intel i218V nic didn't work out of the box. Downloaded the driver from intel's site and things started working fine.

i5 2500k (massively overclocked to 4.5GHz) + Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 + 16GB + 512GB ADATA SP610 SSD + NVIDIA 980 Ti : This is my main machine and was upgraded later. The first time upgrade failed and it reverted to Win7. Had to again redownload and reinstall. Second time it worked fine.

So far I'm finding AMD's drivers to have far superior 2D performance in the UI compared to NVIDIA. The first machine seems a lot more responsive compared to the second though it should in reality feel the reverse.

I'm holding off upgrading my dump server, HTPC and laptop so far. There are a few niggles here and there that require sorting out.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd August 2015 at 20:42.
Old 3rd August 2015, 21:18   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Yes, you will need second level of access restriction, to prevent somebody in your vicinity from stealing your Internet pack.
Quote:

Just go thru this article: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows...164057617.html
The link confirms all the fear about Wifi sense .
Old 3rd August 2015, 21:51   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes, you will need second level of access restriction, to prevent somebody in your vicinity from stealing your Internet pack.

The link confirms all the fear about Wifi sense .
Precisely. That's why, like with Android/Google, FB, and heck even Apple's iCloud, one needs to read the fine print and switch off any features that may intrude on your privacy & security. Handing over your freedom to make configuration decisions, in return for easy/express setups, over to these companies may result in some personal data being transmitted.

For the more paranoid there's always an option to downgrade back to Windows 7/8.1.

In today's world there's simply no excuse for any mobile or computer user to be unaware of the possibility of being spied on whether it's through a device, data, or voice/video communications.
Old 3rd August 2015, 22:46   #300
BHPian

Is this privacy and security issue only with WiFi or with wired network and internet also? Are there any other threads with the Win 10 which can and should be taken care of?

Most Viewed