Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:05   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Precisely. That's why, like with Android/Google, FB, and heck even Apple's iCloud, one needs to read the fine print and switch off any features that may intrude on your privacy & security.
There is a difference Win10 compared to Google or Apple. While Google knows your Wifi password, it is limited to only the devices where you login and they won't share with your friends. Like I mentioned before, even if you disable the option on your Win10 device, your friend (with whom you shared your password manually) can spread it to the world.

Microsoft has done this to have massive database of Wifi hot-spots and their passwords for connection. So while you are on the go, you phone can connect to available hot-spots for Internet access. This might benefit some but it is poorly conceived feature.
Old 4th August 2015, 08:42   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There is a difference Win10 compared to Google or Apple. While Google knows your Wifi password, it is limited to only the devices where you login and they won't share with your friends. Like I mentioned before, even if you disable the option on your Win10 device, your friend (with whom you shared your password manually) can spread it to the world.
True. The first thing to do whilst setting up Windows is to read what the WiFi sharing feature could do.

But frankly I think these articles on password sharing is an overreaction. I could publish my WiFi password right here on an open forum and give it to each one of my friends thru WhatsApp.

But my router has a limited range within about 10 meters from where it's placed (courtesy brick walls) and it is secured in other ways too. Nobody can latch on to the network easily. Of that I am quite sure. Though like any other piece of networking equipment it is not fully secure from a dedicated hack attack.

My friends and my friends' friends having the password is the least of my worries. What worries me is the "drive by hacker" and fortunately I live in a place where it is very difficult.

People need to RTFM (and possibly the net) on securing their WiFi networks and routers as best possible from hack attempts.

Quote:
This might benefit some but it is poorly conceived feature.
True again. I completely agree. Frankly it's a feature that most will be uncomfortable using. MS should not have implemented it. Doesn't seem well thought through at all.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:15   #303
Senior - BHPian

More Windows 10 hidden 'features' - WUDO FAQ

Next time your internet bandwidth is used up, Windows 10 could be the culprit.
Quote:
Microsoft’s new desktop operating system has employed a torrent-style approach to sharing updates with your fellow Windows 10 users.

The OS employs a system of sharing updates between users’ PCs and across their own networks rather than download direct from Microsoft. The system is called Windows Update Delivery Optimisation, or WUDO.

According to Microsoft, WUDO lets you get updates when there’s limited or unreliable connection to the internet.

It works by creating a local cache and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Windows 10 sends parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the internet that are downloading the same files.

Microsoft claimed its “delivery optimisation” wouldn't be able to access your personal files or folders or be able to alter files on your PC.
To turn off,

1) Go to Start Start button icon, then Settings > Update & security > Windows Update , and then select Advanced options.
2) On the Advanced options page, select Choose how updates are delivered, and then use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off. When turned off, you'll still get updates and apps from Windows Update and from the Windows Store.

Last edited by msdivy : 4th August 2015 at 09:16.
Old 4th August 2015, 11:05   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who have multiple machines on a home network just switch to "PCs on my home network". Your local machines will benefit by increasing update speeds and of course lowering the amount of data downloaded/consumed.

OTOH I have selected "PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet" for all my home machines to check how well this new 'feature' works.

It's early days and I see a lot of knee jerk reactions to W10 privacy matters on internet blogs. The paranoid ones can go back to W8.1 or W7.

After having used preview builds for some time I can say this is the best Windows I have used, and I have been using every version of Windows since Windows 3 back in the early 1990s.

If privacy is such an issue MS potentially has a very big problem on its hand. It's very easy for blog authors to whip up paranoia. So W10 may not get the welcome it expects from individuals or even corporates. I expect MS to start provide additional methods to tighten controls on telemetry i.e "phone home features" in future updates.

PS - I notice a distinct improvement in laptop battery life compared to W8.1 Pro. About 20% or thereabouts.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th August 2015 at 11:12.
Old 4th August 2015, 11:56   #305
BHPian

Quote:
this is the best Windows I have used, and I have been using every version of Windows since Windows 3 back in the early 1990s.
Similar opinion here, I also have been on Windows since 3.1 and all I noticed in all these years is that Windows is getting more reliable day by day. Gone are the days when I had to reinstall the whole Windows from scrap every quarter.

Last windows 8.1 turned out most reliable one for me which never required re-installation after the first time setup held more than a year ago. Hope it remains same with the 10.

Though the privacy bits are making me worried with the newer versions and I will have to find some ways to take care of that.
Old 4th August 2015, 12:26   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys, need suggestion(s) on the below.

I'm having a Dell Latitude E5540 laptop (got in August 2014) which comes with a finger print reader. It initially came with Windows 8.1 Pro and just couple of days back, I've upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro and every thing is fine as of now.

I've not configured or looked into the finger print reader when in 8.1. Now, I'm trying to setup the finger print reader and I cannot figure it how and where to setup. Under Settings->Accounts -> Sign-In options, finger print option is not found.

Hence, request to throw some light if I can use this facility to login to Windows 10 using finger print reader and not the usual password. Thanks in advance.
Guys, any solution to the above post. Thanks.
Old 4th August 2015, 13:12   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check the following:

a) Open Device Manager check it is recognized by the system.

b) Have you loaded the drivers for the fingerprint reader?

Go to the FP reader manufacturer's site and download and install the relevant software and drivers.
Old 4th August 2015, 15:53   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Check the following:..
As requested, I've checked the points mentioned by you.

As is visible in the attached screen shot, the FP sensor is present in the Device Manager under Biometric devices and says the driver is installed/working properly.

Any other checkpoints to validate. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows 10 Thread!-fp.png  

Old 4th August 2015, 16:12   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As requested, I've checked the points mentioned by you.

As is visible in the attached screen shot, the FP sensor is present in the Device Manager under Biometric devices and says the driver is installed/working properly.

Any other checkpoints to validate. Thanks.

Please go to Settings --> Accounts -- Sign in options. It should be there. Sorry can't help further as my Dell doesnt have a FP reader.

Other than the driver please make sure you have the appropriate configuration software (from Synaptics or your Dell installed. For e.g. from here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...laptop/drivers

Remember not all laptops come with fingerprint readers. Just ensure you input the tag #, which every Dell laptop has, so the site displays the correct set of drivers for your PC.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th August 2015 at 16:13.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:53   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Control Panel-> User Accounts -> Make Changes to my account in PC Settings-> Sign-in Options
Old 4th August 2015, 17:13   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Control Panel-> User Accounts -> Make Changes to my account in PC Settings-> Sign-in Options
Under the above settings, it has Password, PIN and Picture Password as option and nothing is present that is related to the fingerprint reader. Thanks.
Old 4th August 2015, 17:22   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Under the above settings, it has Password, PIN and Picture Password as option and nothing is present that is related to the fingerprint reader. Thanks.
I very well remember setting it up from there, here's the screenshot:
The Windows 10 Thread!-capture.jpg
Old 4th August 2015, 18:11   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I very well remember setting it up from there, here's the screenshot..
But, I'm not getting that option. When I got my laptop, I did not setup the fingerprint reader and chose the password option instead. Now, only the Password, Pin and Picture Password option are visible.

If you are using the fingerprint reader on yours and if you want to use the password option, I could not see the password option from your screenshot. Is it that the first option selected cannot be changed ..?? THanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows 10 Thread!-fp1.png  

Old 4th August 2015, 18:45   #314
BHPian

Quote:
But, I'm not getting that option. When I got my laptop, I did not setup the fingerprint reader and chose the password option instead. Now, only the Password, Pin and Picture Password option are visible.

If you are using the fingerprint reader on yours and if you want to use the password option, I could not see the password option from your screenshot. Is it that the first option selected cannot be changed ..?? THanks.
During login, I have option to enter password or the pin or just swipe my finger across the fingerprint reader.

If you dont see the fingerprint option on the settings page like the one in below link,
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...dows-10-a.html

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the device. Also refer following links.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...windows-hello/
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/u...log-windows-10
Old 5th August 2015, 10:43   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
looks like everybody is able to upgrade smoothly. However, I am still waiting for the notification. I'm in Finland. did you guys have to wait or was there a workaround?

the only button I get to see today says ''OK, Notify me when ready''. did you guys see this as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Germany here, same case.

I too can only see that prompt.
I was getting this too.
I downloaded the media creation tool, changed language to english US in win8, and region to united states. Download finished, left home with the update at 39% . Will know if all went well later.
The PC had "notify me: message only. The laptop not even that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks