Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 10:52   #331
BANNED

Re: Keepd asking for key

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Run the setup from Windows 8.1 screen. Dont boot from DVD.
Two points:

1. How do I get the setup.exe from the Win8.1 screen, since what I have is an ISO image and not individual files?

2. Do I disable to Kaspersky, (since upgraded to 16).
Old 7th August 2015, 11:20   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Two points:

1. How do I get the setup.exe from the Win8.1 screen, since what I have is an ISO image and not individual files?

There are tools to burn the ISO, which actually extract the files from the image and make it bootable, here are few tools you can try:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...om-an-iso-file
Old 7th August 2015, 12:00   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two points:

PM sent.

You do not need to burn the image to a USB drive or DVD. You should mount the ISO file as a virtual DVD in explorer. Simply double click on it.

Also disable or uninstall Kaspersky before starting the upgrade process.

Please ensure you have downloaded the correct versions of the ISO. Do not attempt to upgrade from Home to Pro. It will prompt you for a key and will not proceed without one.

Also, the keys on the internet are generic keys. Windows 10 upgrade does not ask for keys unless:

a) It is a edition upgrade from Home to Pro.
b) Your copy of Windows has not been activated correctly.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:31   #334
BANNED

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Dear R2D2. I think i will try with my son's or d-i-l's system and then report back. I am going back to CNB tomorrow. In the worst case I will get my system back to pristine 8.1 and then see. I am not seeing the upgrade key, which may also indicate trouble. I have run out of bandwidth and will get BW back on Kanpur on the 13th or so.

I did run the update option and that seemed to be going somewhere where I ran out of bandwidth. It was stuck on 74% in download updates. I had to abort.

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th August 2015 at 12:32.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:46   #335
BHPian

So I dived into Win10 soon as the RTM was publicly available. But to be honest I did not enjoy it. Somehow the classic feel of Win7 is better for me. I find Win10 cartoon like and even though the improvements to Start have been significant since Win8, it leaves a lot to be desired. I am sure bugs (unable to unpin apps) will be sorted in the future but Win10 simply doesn't have the "feel" of Aero. I am also facing a heating issue and I am unable to determine if the graphics driver is causing it or some other issue. That being said on the face of it Win10 is a good OS, better than Win8 which was a total disaster. This time they have taken cues from both OSX and Linux and made an OS which works equally well on desktop and tablets. At the end of the day Win7 dual booted with Arch Linux works best for me.
PS - If you want to protect your privacy please disable those pesky settings which are collecting your data.
Old 7th August 2015, 13:03   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys, need suggestion(s) on the below.

I'm having a Dell Latitude E5540 laptop (got in August 2014) which comes with a finger print reader. It initially came with Windows 8.1 Pro and just couple of days back, I've upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro and every thing is fine as of now.

I've not configured or looked into the finger print reader when in 8.1. Now, I'm trying to setup the finger print reader and I cannot figure it how and where to setup. Under Settings->Accounts -> Sign-In options, finger print option is not found.

Hence, request to throw some light if I can use this facility to login to Windows 10 using finger print reader and not the usual password. Thanks in advance.
Kindly ignore. Did not see the previous replies to your query. Apologies for spamming
Did you check the Device Manager to ensure that all drivers are updated?

Second option would be to visit Dell site (as you own a Dell Book), go to dell.co.in and go to the support page. Input your Service Tag or code.

There is a section which you can verify if all drivers are present in Win 10. In case this does not detect, download the driver for the fingerprint scanner or use your resource CD to update driver. The finger print option will now be listed under sign-in options.

Last edited by kutoos : 7th August 2015 at 13:10.
Old 7th August 2015, 13:25   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
If you ask me, if you are comfortable with Windows 7 and not missing anything (or want the latest ), you could wait for some more time, and upgrade later this year or early next year. But ensure you do it before the 1 year time period for the free upgrade offer. By then most of the drivers should be ready, and the teething problems sorted.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the input. I couldn't resist the urge so updated my comp last night. Was done in about 3 hours and the laptop runs fine for now
Old 7th August 2015, 13:39   #338
BHPian

My desktop has upgraded to Win 10, but the existing Windows account's profile seems to have been corrupted. The task bar did not work, got it fixed, now store and other default MS apps don't open. Tried to delete and recreate the profile without luck. I created another local account and things are working fine for it. Not sure what else needs to be done. If I delete the profile and login again, it takes a while to configure the profile, but doesn't complete. Any suggestions?
Old 7th August 2015, 14:57   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yeah. All in, it took 17 hours.
I tried on my wife's laptop HP G6 2005AX. It was still 'working on it' even after 6 hours. I closed it. Does it take that long? I had launched from tray icon. Let me try upgrading from the ISO. How about upgrading from the Media Creation Tool? Is it faster?
PS: I feel it is faster to backup data (1 hour) and perform fresh install (30 minutes), instead of spending hours while upgrading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You do not need to burn the image to a USB drive or DVD. You should mount the ISO file as a virtual DVD in explorer. Simply double click on it.
Another way is use program like 7-Zip and extract the ISO to folder.
Old 7th August 2015, 15:02   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I tried on my wife's laptop HP G6 2005AX. It was still 'working on it' even after 6 hours. I closed it. Does it take that long? I had launched from tray icon. Let me try upgrading from the ISO. How about upgrading from the Media Creation Tool? Is it faster?
PS: I feel it is faster to backup data (1 hour) and perform fresh install (30 minutes), instead of spending hours while upgrading.
Well, I used the media tool only. I started the setup before going to sleep, and started the install the next morning. Then went off to work, and came to the welcome screen. And THATS how it took so long
Probably is lesser.
Oh, and I only have a measly 1mbps connection
Old 7th August 2015, 16:23   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Another way is use program like 7-Zip and extract the ISO to folder.
Best to use Rufus - it creates a bootable USB drive for both UEFI and MBR based computers. Highly recommended. This is the best USB tool I have used so far

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
Old 7th August 2015, 16:31   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Oh, and I only have a measly 1mbps connection
I don't think speed is the bottleneck. I have 30Mpbs link and 4GB would take 30 to 40 minutes. I think the files are already download - I saw my Internet used up by 4GB on 28th July.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:57   #343
BANNED

With the support from all esp @R2FD2 I have managed to upgrade to Win10. My experience:

1. I had to run Media Creation Tool in the upgrade Mode, since the Orange Upgrade Icon was not there. Then i updated transparently. As advised by R2D2 I had updated Kaspersky to 2016 and disabled it. Total time was about three hours.

2. It seems that the ISO file works provided you have the update icon else first a system update is a must.

3. Once started it is pretty cool and transparent.
Old 7th August 2015, 22:47   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
My desktop has upgraded to Win 10, but the existing Windows account's profile seems to have been corrupted. The task bar did not work, got it fixed, now store and other default MS apps don't open. Tried to delete and recreate the profile without luck. I created another local account and things are working fine for it. Not sure what else needs to be done. If I delete the profile and login again, it takes a while to configure the profile, but doesn't complete. Any suggestions?
I had a similar issue after upgrade, looked to be a corrupt user profile. So, i went ahead and reverted the upgrade back to 7 and then upgraded again. It worked. Make sure you run windows update after the upgrade so that the drivers are automatically downloaded. FWIW, dell e6440 gets all the drivers via windows update.
Old 8th August 2015, 13:46   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

My Norton subscription was about to run out in Sept. In my haste to try something new I bought subscriptions to 2 AV solutions - Bitdefender & Kaspersky. BD slowed down my PC and the network noticeably. Kaspersky 2016 ran really well. But with a catch. Kaspersky's updates are downloaded oh so slowly! Ditto with BD.

Finally went back to using Norton Internet Security (my preferred AV solution for nearly 9 years) as it runs without hiccups and you don't get redirected to a set of people at the distributor (which BD and Kaspersky do) in India for support. Don't know why but I get Norton's AV signatures are downloaded in a few seconds.

Oh well, with all the rigmarole of updating to W10 and it's Insider builds my PCs have now settled down.

BTW MS may announce some large updates to W10 early next week.

http://www.eteknix.com/windows-10-se...und-next-week/

Quote:
With the support from all esp @R2FD2 I have managed to upgrade to Win10. My experience:

1. I had to run Media Creation Tool in the upgrade Mode, since the Orange Upgrade Icon was not there. Then i updated transparently. As advised by R2D2 I had updated Kaspersky to 2016 and disabled it. Total time was about three hours.

2. It seems that the ISO file works provided you have the update icon else first a system update is a must.

3. Once started it is pretty cool and transparent.
Glad to hear it finally got done though 3 hours is heck of a lot of time for this upgrade. It normally takes about 30 minutes unless it runs into some hitches.

Also, you don't need to have that GWX (Get Windows X/10) icon. It performs 2 functions i.e. advises you of any incompatibilities & if your system meets min specs helps you reserve a copy of W10. That said, I feel it is better to let that app load, scan your system and give you a heads up on any issues. Better to get a warning before you start and face a botched upgrade.

Most Viewed