Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 14:00   #346
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Finally, I somehow got the fingerprint option in the Sign-in options and added 1 finger as can be seen below in Pic 1.

Now, I'm not getting multiple sign-in options in the initial login page, but only asking me to enter Password and the option for Pin and Fingerprint are not shown.

Is there anything to be done. Am I missing anything anywhere. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows 10 Thread!-fpa.png  

Old 8th August 2015, 15:34   #347
BHPian

Right, I am observing that many BHPians are still having trouble upgrading to Windows 10 via the icon in the taskbar. The following should help you out:
1. First, backup your existing OS image via Windows Backup and manually backing up music and files to be double secure.
2. Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 and download the media creation tool (64 or 32 depending on your hardware).
3. Make sure that all Windows features are NOT disabled. If you have disabled some features go to Turn Windows Features On/Off and re enable them.
4. Update via Windows Update. To make sure you have the relevant updates to start the upgrade process go to the list of installed updates in the Windows Update menu in control panel and search for KB3035583.
5. Remember that file we downloaded - media creation tool. Run this file now and choose USB after selecting the relevant language etc. This will download a 4Gb ISO file and mount it to your external flash drive. Make sure your external USB is 4 Gb+ to be on the safe side choose an 8Gb drive. Windows 10 will start downloading and you will see the progress percentage.
6. When this file finishes downloading head over to My Computer and the to your newly created USB. Click and run setup.exe
7. IMPORTANT - Remember to choose upgrade existing OS to Windows 10. This will take your license key and convert it to Windows 10. You have to go through this upgrade process even if you want to clean install later.
8. The upgrade process will run and you will have upgraded your Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now open up a webpage and download a portable app called Produkey. Please don't miss this step if you want to clean install later. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html Run this app and it will tell you what your Windows 10 key is. Note it down.
9. Go to settings>activation and make sure it says Windows 10 activated. If you have followed the above steps properly it should.
11. Now that you know the product key of your Windows 10 installation you can attempt a clean installation (this will delete Windows.old from C.

If you face any problems please let me know. Your internet connection will be needed for downloading the ISO etc so please make sure everything is working before attempting any of said instructions.
Old 8th August 2015, 16:19   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

@RocketRaccoon - Windows 10 uses a generic key for all installations depending on which edition/variant you are using. For e.g. Pro has xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-3V66T. This is used in ALL instances of Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 10 Home will use a different generic key. These are merely place holders for the OS for people upgrading their copy of W7/8.1. Windows 10 Enterprise is activated by volume Enterprise licensing programs via a key management system (KMS) server or volume license keys.

When first installed as an in-place upgrade over a licensed/activated copy of Windows 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 registers your hardware configuration hash with MS' activation servers and activates it. Once done, you can reinstall W10 as many times as you wish. Just skip the key input screen if you are doing a fresh install.

However, if you buy a retail copy AKA a full install version which sells for Rs 15K in India or US $199 overseas, a product key is included and must be used to activate Windows. A full version is required if you are building a machine from scratch without having a qualifying copy of Windows to migrate to the PC.
Old 8th August 2015, 20:17   #349
BANNED

I managed to upgrade to Win10 using the Media Tollkit in the direct upgrade mode, as the ISO kept asking for the key.

Now how do I create an ISO from here.

Also, I found today that my Single Language Win8.1 is upgrded to 10 Single Language. No wonder that Home/Pro kept asking for the key!

Also, i find my Samsung SCX-3400 missing in the printers (it is a multifunction device actually). Our older SCX3200 (with my son) is also missing. How to I get these going! What has to be removed and what added. H E L P!
Old 8th August 2015, 22:14   #350
Senior - BHPian

While upgrading, I got this error:
The Windows 10 Thread!-safe_os-phase.jpg

This happened during file copy task. What I was doing was I had extracted .ISO to a folder in C:\ and had launched setup from there. I thought this could be the reason and so I burnt a DVD with the ISO and launched setup from there. It took around 2 hours for upgrade and finally I could login, first Win10 upgrade
Old 8th August 2015, 22:58   #351
Senior - BHPian

All, my cortana is not talking back. I can speak to her, but she only types back. What are the things that i should check? The location service is on and it tracks the weather correctly.
Old 9th August 2015, 15:55   #352
BANNED

I think I may have licked the Samsung SCX-3400 printing. I had to install over 200MB of stuff in order do do so. Get SamsungPrinterInstaller and then connect the printer on USB and fire away. It needs to make at least two passes - to download, and then update and finally install!

One query: Any media burners which are Win10 compliant. I love ImgBurn but is it win 10 yet?
Old 10th August 2015, 12:02   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One query: Any media burners which are Win10 compliant. I love ImgBurn but is it win 10 yet?
W10 like W8.1 has built in DVD/CD burning software. I use Nero but there are several options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
All, my cortana is not talking back. I can speak to her, but she only types back. What are the things that i should check? The location service is on and it tracks the weather correctly.
Check your audio playback, language and regional settings.

Cortana does not work in India as of now, but they are expected to release the feature to MS Insiders in the next month or two.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th August 2015 at 12:05.
Old 12th August 2015, 00:26   #354
Senior - BHPian

My Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium was upgraded to Windows 10 on Sunday. The experience was pretty smooth, no hiccups as such during the upgrade process. One observation is that when the laptop is running on battery only, the screen tends to get garbled, with horizontal lines, and also the display seems to get locked without any of the screen items or pointer showing any movement. Just like when a RAM problem on the PC freezes the screen.

The moment I connect it to the power, the Windows starts working without any problems. Any one experienced this issue on Windows 10? This happens randomly, at times the laptop will work smoothly even when only on battery power.
Old 12th August 2015, 11:39   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Check your audio playback, language and regional settings.

Cortana does not work in India as of now, but they are expected to release the feature to MS Insiders in the next month or two.
Yes, I had the UK settings in place and once I switched to US settings it started working. It is now talking. Thanks R2D2
Old 12th August 2015, 13:04   #356
VKM
BHPian

Friends
after installing windows 10 i find that the wifi range has gone down, i have to sit nearer the router than before. anyone else has this issue?
also everytime the net gets disconnected (which is every 10 mins once now)it asks fort he router password though "connect automatically" is turned on. hel pls.
Old 12th August 2015, 13:40   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
My Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium was upgraded to Windows 10 on Sunday. The experience was pretty smooth, no hiccups as such during the upgrade process. One observation is that when the laptop is running on battery only, the screen tends to get garbled, with horizontal lines, and also the display seems to get locked without any of the screen items or pointer showing any movement. Just like when a RAM problem on the PC freezes the screen.

The moment I connect it to the power, the Windows starts working without any problems. Any one experienced this issue on Windows 10? This happens randomly, at times the laptop will work smoothly even when only on battery power.
Now that you have installed and activated W10 my recommendation to you would be to backup all your data and do a clean install. Some drivers get messed up during the upgrade. If you want an easier route, trying installing the latest display drivers (download from your laptop mfr site) AND check your power management settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Yes, I had the UK settings in place and once I switched to US settings it started working. It is now talking. Thanks R2D2
You're welcome. But do keep in mind Ms Cortana is one snoopy creature IMO good as entertainment but nothing more. I don't use Google Now or Siri (when I had an iPhone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Friendsafter installing windows 10 i find that the wifi range has gone down, i have to sit nearer the router than before. anyone else has this issue? also everytime the net gets disconnected (which is every 10 mins once now)it asks fort he router password though "connect automatically" is turned on. hel pls.
Again, as mentioned above I would suggest you do a clean install after backing up your data. Easier way? Reinstall the WiFi adapter drivers. Also remove the Wifi configuration from your PC (forget network) and key in the SSID and password again to reconfigure.

PS - All W10 users must download today's cumulative fixes. It contains a bug fix for an issue that affected the task scheduler and certain tasks when the time zone was NOT set to a whole number/integer. For e.g. GMT +5.5 for India and some other countries in South Asia and Australia.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2015 at 13:45.
Old 12th August 2015, 13:49   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Friends
after installing windows 10 i find that the wifi range has gone down, i have to sit nearer the router than before. anyone else has this issue?
also everytime the net gets disconnected (which is every 10 mins once now)it asks fort he router password though "connect automatically" is turned on. hel pls.
It's advisable to do a fresh install after the upgrade. In my case when it was updated from Win 7 HP to Win 10, my office started to give issues, along with the deprecation of my card reader and touch pad drivers.

I did a fresh install by extracting the iso from the ESD file and then burning an usb image. Now everything is working fine and the office crashes also have been resolved.
Old 12th August 2015, 13:55   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

@WAG7, just a question, when you disconnect the battery, are you disturbing the LCD, i mean holding on to the LCD screen fro better grip and in the process the lid moves back & forth?

The reason could well be a case of a loose LCD connector from the mother board, I've an XPS and sometime when the lid is opened halfway, i do see a dull gray screen, but moving the lid to a more obtuse angle solves this issue.
Old 12th August 2015, 15:40   #360
Team-BHP Support

I had installed Win 10 enterprise on my office lappy, upgrade was smooth and all the settings and data intact. Then i noticed the screen brightness was at full, searched and searched but could not find the brightness control, the software control button missing and hardware control kaput. From the intel driver there was access but it is a task to set the brightness, since it will mess up lot of other parameters like contrast color etc.

Did some research and apparently its the display driver and it needs to be removed and machine restarted. The uninstall went fine but the laptop never restarted and went into blue oops screen loop. Tried all sorts of recovery and reinstall nothing would work. HP tech guys came and went and now awaiting a new HDD to start the circus again!!

Only saving grace it has official AMC and my back up intact.

Why can't these guys figure out simpler, cleaner and stable way of releasing OS?!

Most Viewed