Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 21:13   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Only issue i have is with GEforce. Nivida literally sucks with frequent failure and the device driver is hardly consistent

Thinking of throwing away the GTX and getting something that is more stable and probably powerful as well

Windows 10 is really good.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:15   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And data is the least of concern, i have complete back up including system image copy on our official back up server.
If you have a system image and data backup, don't waste time trying to get the failed OS to work.

Just restore W8.1 and restart the in-place upgrade from Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Only issue i have is with GEforce. Nivida literally sucks with frequent failure and the device driver is hardly consistent. Thinking of throwing away the GTX and getting something that is more stable and probably powerful as well
Well, I use a GEForce Titan and it runs perfectly under W10 after the driver update that came in via Windows Update. Of course NVidia cocked up with the driver on Day 1 of the W10 launch (not MS as many believe) but the latest version 10.18.13.5362 is absolutely stable.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2015 at 21:18.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:16   #378
Senior - BHPian

My Windows 10 installation failed a couple of times and searching with the error code did not help.

It downloads the updates but installation fails to proceed after around 26% or so and then says failed.

Disabled the update for now but anyone can suggest a workaround to avoid this issue next time?

I'm currently on Win7 Enterprise Edition which is a 64 bit licensed version of the OS.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:30   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Just restore W8.1 and restart the in-place upgrade from Windows 8.1 Enterprise.
Darn this is an option i should have tried earlier, first thing tomorrow morning! will keep you posted.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:34   #380
BHPian

My fourth day with Windows 10. So far, loving every moment of it. Boot Up is ultra fast (faster than 8.1) for me. Interface is pretty good. All the third party applications that I use are working well with it. One of the first things I did was to disable the 'Wi-Fi Sharing' tabs (or something like that) that were ON by default. Security threat, this.

My only complaint is the small font size of the Start Menu and the irritating Windows Feedback messages.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:42   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you have installed and activated W10 my recommendation to you would be to backup all your data and do a clean install. Some drivers get messed up during the upgrade.
Ok, I will try formatting it and and doing a clean install. The display drivers could be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
@WAG7, just a question, when you disconnect the battery, are you disturbing the LCD, i mean holding on to the LCD screen fro better grip and in the process the lid moves back & forth?

The reason could well be a case of a loose LCD connector from the mother board, I've an XPS and sometime when the lid is opened halfway, i do see a dull gray screen, but moving the lid to a more obtuse angle solves this issue.
Yes, that happens, I do adjust the LCD angle. Also the lid is not as tight as it should have been. At a particular angle, the lid moves freely back and forth about an inch. I didn't think about this problem. Thanks!
Old 12th August 2015, 22:14   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My Windows 10 installation failed a couple of times and searching with the error code did not help.

It downloads the updates but installation fails to proceed after around 26% or so and then says failed.

Disabled the update for now but anyone can suggest a workaround to avoid this issue next time?

I'm currently on Win7 Enterprise Edition which is a 64 bit licensed version of the OS.
When you say failed, what does that mean? Does it mean you had to roll back to W8.1? Update installation failures are common nothing to worry about. Press the Windows Key + R, type in services.msc. In the Services Management window stop the windows update service. Then go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the files. Go back to Services Management and restart the WU service. Check for updates again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Ok, I will try formatting it and and doing a clean install. The display drivers could be a problem
Before doing a clean install make sure your copy of W10 is activated. Otherwise the MS activation server will not recognize your hardware ID and activation will fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Yes, that happens, I do adjust the LCD angle. Also the lid is not as tight as it should have been. At a particular angle, the lid moves freely back and forth about an inch. I didn't think about this problem. Thanks!
WAG7 this problem you're facing is a hardware problem and nothing to do with W10. If your display worked properly under W8 then it ought to work just as well under W10 provided the correct drivers are installed.

Most laptop displays/lids have some slack which increases with age/use. You may want to get the lid and ribbon cable checked by the mfr.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2015 at 22:16.
Old 13th August 2015, 08:53   #383
BHPian

After downloading nearly 6.5 Gigs, my installation was successful.
Enjoyed Windows 10 for a brief period of time and moved back to Windows 7. Yes moved back.

The boot up in windows 10 is really slow. After the windows splash screen, the screen goes blank for nearly a minute. Did all the tricks which the on-line remedies advice, but for no improvement. Once its boots, OS itself is sleek, fast and one of the best browsers EDGE is.

God knows whats the reason for a 1 to 1.5 minute of blank screen.
Old 13th August 2015, 09:50   #384
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone installed Windows 10 on a Mac via boot camp??
Old 13th August 2015, 10:42   #385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you have a system image and data backup, don't waste time trying to get the failed OS to work.
Guess what?!

Came to office, took the cd drive and cd's, came to seat and IT team calls to inform that back up disk also has failed!! So do not format.

Anyways by then i had fired up using 8.1 cd, install failed so went into repair option, used recovery which gave "failed" for 3 recovery stored in the comp. As a final option IT team gave an external OS cd or something, and the comp is right now alive on 10! best part all the previous issues also seems to be resolved.

Backing up all the data into another HDD as i type this! Before i do a normal restart. Think the restore worked though it gave message as failed.

EDIT: AND IT WORKED!! Special thanks to R2D2 who saved me lot of misery

Now sending a stinker to HP guys who are yet to even deliver that new HDD!

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th August 2015 at 11:23.
Old 13th August 2015, 11:40   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post

The boot up in windows 10 is really slow. After the windows splash screen, the screen goes blank for nearly a minute. Did all the tricks which the on-line remedies advice, but for no improvement. Once its boots, OS itself is sleek, fast and one of the best browsers EDGE is.

God knows whats the reason for a 1 to 1.5 minute of blank screen.
Hey this happened on my laptop too for few days, later however it was back to sub 1 min boot up times like in windows 7.

I wasn't expecting much with this upgrade but I must say the experience has been positive so far. Microsoft Edge is so so fast. I don't miss Windows 7
Old 13th August 2015, 11:44   #387

Has anyone faced problems with WiFi which has been corrected after updates
Old 13th August 2015, 12:28   #388

Hi all,
I seem to have run into a rather weird problem after installing Windows 10 on my Dell Vostro laptop. My brightness control is shot. I have updated all the necessary drivers. Still can't access the brightness from the taskbar or the physical keys on the keyboard. I have flux installed which is currently doing the job of saving my already screwed eyes.
Any pointers?
Old 13th August 2015, 12:38   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55-Nitinol View Post
Hi all,
I seem to have run into a rather weird problem after installing Windows 10 on my Dell Vostro laptop. My brightness control is shot.
====
Any pointers?
Precisely what i went through!

Just try using restore to an earlier time within the win 10 restore points. That brought back the controls in mind. ie if you have already uninstalled and installed the display driver.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:26   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55-Nitinol View Post
Hi all,
I seem to have run into a rather weird problem after installing Windows 10 on my Dell Vostro laptop. My brightness control is shot. I have updated all the necessary drivers. Still can't access the brightness from the taskbar or the physical keys on the keyboard. I have flux installed which is currently doing the job of saving my already screwed eyes.
Any pointers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Precisely what i went through!

Just try using restore to an earlier time within the win 10 restore points. That brought back the controls in mind. ie if you have already uninstalled and installed the display driver.
I had a similar problem - in my case my son's Vostro kept flickering forever after the Win 10 update.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers thrice, and we seem to have got something right along the way because the flickering stopped.

Now we have a problem with fluctuating WiFi signal strength - the laptop keeps losing connection to WiFi (same behaviour as screen flicker). We will now try uninstall and reinstall of the WiFi drivers, at least 3 times in the hope that this voodoo works.

Cant they get anything right? My son now wants to go back to Win 7, but I'm not sure if I want to go through another ordeal all over again.

In stark contrast, my Mac has been running beta versions of their OS for a couple of years now since I signed up for public betas. Never had any major issue with Mac betas except maybe once with the Yosemite beta, but that experience is in no way comparable to the travails on the Win 10 commercial release.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th August 2015 at 13:28.

Most Viewed