Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2014, 18:19   #31
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Trying Windows 10 on my PC since yesterday; love it, but loved 7 and 8 as well. This should appeal to those who didnt like Windows 8. Last (major) Windows ever, so is significant. More interesting should be the subscription based pricing. Around rs 3000 a year or rs 300 a month with 10tb of onedrive storage might appeal to many.
Where is this pricing announced for India? I have Windows 7 on my personal laptop & am looking to upgrade to Windows 10, rightly skipped Win8.
Old 4th October 2014, 18:52   #32
BHPian

Downloaded the eval version and installed it over my 8.1, and my initial impression is that it looks like 8.1 with a start button which includes the tile. The look and feel of all the apps still looks like 8.1 with very very minor diff. Is that right or would I get anything diff if I had done a clean install? still a 50:50 on the look and feel. That said it runs well on my old Centrino Duo Inspiron 6400 laptop, which is now converted as my test rig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Where is this pricing announced for India? I have Windows 7 on my personal laptop & am looking to upgrade to Windows 10, rightly skipped Win8.
Windows 10 is still in evaluation/tech preview. So I dont think the pricing has been arrived at yet!!.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 4th October 2014 at 18:59.
Old 5th October 2014, 21:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Those using tech preview, note that this version is capturing all usage (email IDs and even keystrokes).

As per privacy policy of tech preview, these can be shared with Microsoft.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/using-wi...-help-feedback
Old 6th October 2014, 11:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Those using tech preview, note that this version is capturing all usage (email IDs and even keystrokes).

As per privacy policy of tech preview, these can be shared with Microsoft.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/using-wi...-help-feedback

This is put in the "fine print" which we ack at the begining. I currently use this on a test pc, which I use for browsing. That said, above info/news warns me of the risk in using the machine for accessing sensitive information or working/copying office documents.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:19   #35
BHPian

Microsoft should not have attempted to merge separate OSes for touch devices with conventional PCs which resulted in a disaster called Win 8. They tries to make amends with 8.1 but by then people already hated the brand Win8 too much (me included; Win 7 rocks). Hopefully they should learn from Apple and keep the two separate in future. Besides they should focus on core issues like speed, reliability, security and better user interface. Even a core component like Explorer still lacks so many useful features.
Old 8th October 2014, 23:02   #36
BHPian

Has anybody been able to install Windows 10 on a Mac, using Boot Camp, by upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I keep getting a couple of errors and 8.1 is restored on my laptop.
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards,
Old 9th October 2014, 12:27   #37
BHPian

I dont know whats the fuss with the Windows 8 and 8.1 being so different to windows 7 . Yes if you use Metro . What i did when i got my new laptop with win8.1 was to install classic shell . ( http://www.classicshell.net )
Its Free . Install it and reboot your system . On reboot you will not even realize that you are on windows 8 and not the good old and familiar windows 7.
And Metro is still available when you want to use it.

I dont think there was any decent laptop available for purchase with win7, so though i would have preferred win7 . Couldnt buy one.
Old 9th October 2014, 22:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is what the Privacy Statement reads:

Quote:
Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage. For example, when you:
  • install the Program, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility,
  • use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing,
  • open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use it for purposes such as improving performance, or
  • enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.
That's a little too much information to be sent to Microsoft.

I was eager to try W10. But I guess I'll wait for the official launch now.
Old 20th October 2014, 13:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Windows 10 for couple of weeks. There are only 3 visible changes:

1) Multiple desktops.
2) Choice of Start Menu instead of Start Screen.
3) Metro apps have title bar minimize & close buttons.

3rd change is 'don't care'. Desktops have excellent browsers. Metro apps hardly matters for desktops. Why would anyone access Facebook, Google via metro app instead of browser?

2nd isn't much of a choice for Windows 8.1 users, but might matter for Windows 8 users.

So the only major change over Windows 7 is multiple desktops feature. Not sure much useful is is this. Anyway this feature was available in Unix for over 25 years.

How much will Microsoft charge for Windows 10 upgrade over Windows 7? If they charge anything over $5 or Rs 250, then it is robbery and I am being charitable. For Windows 8 & 8.1 users, they must give it free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
That's a little too much information to be sent to Microsoft.
I was eager to try W10. But I guess I'll wait for the official launch now.
Note that this is beta release and essentially you are beta testing for Microsoft. To iron out any bugs, issues, problems Microsoft needs this information. So this beta release must be employed in test environment just to test your applications and must not used in production. So don't use for your personal email, e-shopping or financial transactions.

Last edited by msdivy : 20th October 2014 at 13:06.
Old 20th October 2014, 13:45   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
So the only major change over Windows 7 is multiple desktops feature.
How do you switch between desktops?

If you have multiple monitors, is there a taskbar on each monitor?

Quote:
How much will Microsoft charge for Windows 10 upgrade over Windows 7? If they charge anything over $5 or Rs 250, then it is robbery and I am being charitable.
Isn't is supposed to be a free upgrade for Win 8 (and maybe win 7?) users?

cya
R
Old 20th October 2014, 14:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
How do you switch between desktops?
Button in red circle is the 'Task View' button, which will show the list of desktops and option to add new virtual desktop (green circle). Implementation is neat, but moving app between desktops needs some learning.Name:  650x488x05_using_keyboard_to_switch_desktops.png.pagespeed.ic.aaGLJaMcXZ.png
Views: 1140
Size:  230.2 KB
Quote:
If you have multiple monitors, is there a taskbar on each monitor?
I think Windows 8 or 8.1 had this feature. Yes, it is there in Win 10. The options are,
Name:  Win10Taskbar.png
Views: 678
Size:  16.7 KB
Quote:
Isn't is supposed to be a free upgrade for Win 8 (and maybe win 7?) users?
So far nothing has been announced on price.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:56   #42
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton for the screenshots!

Quote:
So far nothing has been announced on price.[/left]
You're right. I don't know where i read the headline saying it'll be a free upgrade.

Like you said, it better be cheap or free. If MS is smart, they'll make it a free upgrade from 8.

cya
R
Old 21st November 2014, 13:00   #43
BHPian

Bumping the thread.

Any further features in this version, already it seems the interest has fizzled out.

Anybody using Storage spaces or ReFS? Could not try it since I dont have that many drives to store data currently...
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:50   #44
BHPian

Going by the press releases, the upgrade from windows 7 and 8.1 would be free for the first year. Looks like they are moving to subscription based licensing.

In which case I think I will not upgrade!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 22nd January 2015 at 17:56.
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

I am perfectly okay with Windows 8.1 on my 6 year old Vaio. I do not want to go through the rigmarole of finding correct drivers to make everything work again because luckily almost all Win 7 64 bit drivers worked with Win 8 64 bit. I am not sure if this is going to be the case going from 8.1 to 10.

Most Viewed