Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 08:28   #451
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
With all these compatibility issues, I will defer the Win10 update to my new MSI laptop
. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
This is true, laptops, especially the high end ones
are much more complicated to handle than desktops. These days many of the high end laptops have dual graphics card setup where one is for efficiency and another is for intensive power usage purpose like gaming or running multimedia apps. Laptops having such kind of dual setup are facing more issues. Then upgrading from preloaded OEM version is also kind of a task compared to upgrading from stand alone Windows copy.
Last evening had some time on hand, and could not resist the temptation of upgrading my msi gt80 to windows 10. The upgrade was smooth, though upgrading the drivers did scare with a few "black" screens with no response. Also the NVIDIA driver for the GTX980M driver crashed after installation. Post a couple boots, it has now stabilized. Now upgraded to version 355.60.

Finger Crossed, and hope no new challenges surfaces as time progress!!
Old 22nd August 2015, 08:51   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Finger Crossed, and hope no new challenges surfaces as time progress!!
Check all Windows logs in Event Viewer if Windows is throwing any errors.
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:26   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Check all Windows logs in Event Viewer if Windows is throwing any errors.
There were couple of errors after installation. Now Cortana, and edge have a couple of issues. Also the display driver nvlddmkm stops and recovers occasionally.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:46   #454
Senior - BHPian

http://microsoft-news.com/torrent-tr...vacy-concerns/

Apparently Windows 10 sends local hard disk content details to an anti-piracy company called MarkMonitor.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:23   #455
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
[url]Apparently Windows 10 sends local hard disk content details to an anti-piracy company called MarkMonitor.
Quite likely, any way of blocking these jokers? They must be a MS outsourced company.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:29   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Sadly no but you can download Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 ISO's for future.

Windows 8.1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/w...-refresh-media

Windows 10
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
I am finally getting the 8.1 ISO tomorrow. Had to ask a friend at IIT to get it for me. As for the Win10 my system is Single Language, so the update does no work (asks for License no.). So I will have to do it the hard way. Maybe in October when I go to Gurgaon.
Old 24th August 2015, 12:59   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am finally getting the 8.1 ISO tomorrow. Had to ask a friend at IIT to get it for me. As for the Win10 my system is Single Language, so the update does no work (asks for License no.). So I will have to do it the hard way. Maybe in October when I go to Gurgaon.
I updated my brother's Single Language Win 8.1 to Win 10 with the ISO recently.

You can download the ISO directly. Around 2.8GB AFAIK. Load it up on a pen drive using Rufus and then just run the installer like any other installer. It didn't ask me for the key anywhere during the upgrade as well.

Perhaps this little bit of information from MS will help?
Quote:
IMPORTANT: To upgrade for free, select Upgrade this PC now in the tool. You should NOT be asked for a product key during the upgrade process. If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.
Old 24th August 2015, 14:06   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Single Language is not a problem. There is a skip button which will let you install / upgrate to windows 10 without entering the key.

From Reddit:
Quote:
Here are all generic keys:
Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y
EDIT: If you have already upgraded to Windows 10 and it is activated, DO NOT reinstall using one of these keys. Just skip the key entry process and it will activate automatically.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:19   #459
BANNED

Quote:
I updated my brother's Single Language Win 8.1 to Win 10 with the ISO recently.

..... Around 2.8GB AFAIK. Load it up on a pen drive using Rufus and then just run the installer like any other installer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Single Language is not a problem. There is a skip button which will let you install / upgrate to windows 10 without entering the key.
I have the Win10 ISO (both Home and Pro) which I had downloaded on 6th August. Can I run these, since they were giving trouble before the first time install. I guess now that my Win10 has been installed once so it should be kosher. Why I got both - Pro for my other laptop (my wife's) which is Win7 Pro. Has got the update falg showing.

I presume Rufus is a tool for converting the ISO to a pen drive unit.

Thanks, you guys are giving me hopes.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:35   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the Win10 ISO (both Home and Pro) which I had downloaded on 6th August. Can I run these, since they were giving trouble before the first time install. I guess now that my Win10 has been installed once so it should be kosher. Why I got both - Pro for my other laptop (my wife's) which is Win7 Pro. Has got the update falg showing.

I presume Rufus is a tool for converting the ISO to a pen drive unit.

Thanks, you guys are giving me hopes.
There is a single ISO that is for both Pro and Home.

You can get ISOs from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

On the same page, it is mentioned -
Quote:
Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional.
There is also a Single Language ISO that is listed on the same page. That is the ISO that I used. Upgrade was a piece of cake.

Yes, Rufus is a tool for making a USB a bootable USB from an ISO.

Before attempting a fresh install, make sure your Windows 10 installation shows as activated.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 24th August 2015 at 15:40.
Old 25th August 2015, 08:33   #461
BANNED

Quote:
There is a single ISO that is for both Pro and Home.

You can get ISOs from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw... as activated.

Yes, Rufus is a tool for making a USB a bootable USB from an ISO.....
This I think is the Enterprise Edition Page. I will first have a crack to 8.1 today before attempting 10. I may next send the link to my contact(s) to get the Win 10 DVD as well. As IIT is on a 1GBps pipe (being upgraded to 2Gbps) the download of 2.8GB takes under 30 minutes using a wired connection in the Gigabit LAN. Remember the bandwidth is shared across all users. Wireless will be quite a bit slower. I remember my 8 to 8.1 upgrade (then I was still in service) took about three hours on the Wireless.

How do I check for the 10 activated.

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th August 2015 at 08:42.
Old 25th August 2015, 17:04   #462
BANNED

I got the 8.1 and 10 ISO files today. As it happened my Laptop was on for about 40 minutes, and the 8.1 update came in that time, so did not have to use the ISO.

While sitting there with my colleague it indicated that the 10 ISO (Single Language 3.74GB) will take only 10 minutes, so got it. Now the choice is with me. The availability of the driver for my Pixma iP7470 will be announced only by October, hence the reluctance. Yes, the driver for the Samsung 3400 MF-laser was available and used by me prior to the crash.

I guess this being a near fresh iinstall I may not have to go back to a native mode install.

Two points, both related to the HD.

1. I need to redo the partitions. That main C: can be reduced by about 50GB.
2. This can be assigned to F: (archive) which is almost full and also for a OneKey partition using the AOMEI OneKey which can save a recovery partition. I tried and managed to reduce C: by 20GB but could not add it to F:!!

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th August 2015 at 17:13.
Old 26th August 2015, 13:00   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Now a new issue, the Win inbuilt apps like Store, Camera and Photo's would not work. They just flash and go put, settings to them are greyed out. Reading up leads to various fixes including clearing up store cache, running some scripts to reset permissions, setting folder access permissions and what not. Nothing seems to fix it.

Only thing left to try is the network rights management, which i have shared details to IT team. They have confirmed nothing was changed or set from their side and they need to now check if something is really interfering or not.

Funny thing the already downloaded app egs: watermark app seems to be working lol
So after zillion tries and after exhausting all options that came on internet regarding this issue resolution, decided i will reinstall. Used the same CD and went for option of upgrade without disturbing setting and files. Only the HP finger print security needed to be removed, since during install it popped up as not compatible.

Now everything works and no apparent bugs so far. HP tool was reinstalled without any hassle also.

Hope life is smoother now on
Old 26th August 2015, 14:42   #464
BANNED

My Pixma is iP7270 and not 7470, and the Win10 driver is there. So printer will not be an issue.

Today, it checked for the Win8.1 updates and wants to download 2.7GB. Now I may go for the 10 update when I go to IITK next week. I am sure it will want to fetch and install 1GB or so!
Old 28th August 2015, 18:37   #465
Senior - BHPian

A tip: If you are installing Win 10, turn off Internet. Installation ask less questions and is faster.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks