Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 14:33   #496
BANNED

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Yes, this article was also chronicled in ZDnet at

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...tag=TREc64629f

So I expect normal service may be restored in a few days.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:45   #497
BANNED

I have had enough with Win 10. Since I am not seeing too many complaints, I am thinking of doing a clean install. Now in my Lenovo Flex 14 the Drivers are in D:\Drivers\<function>. I have also copied them into F:\ftp\drivers. Now to do a clean install I will need the drivers. Are their any tricks involved.

I am getting sick of doing a reinstall of the recovery backup every three weeks! If this also, fails then I will probably revert to Win 8.1!!

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th November 2015 at 09:53.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:19   #498
BHPian

Most of the drivers should be installed by default and/or downloaded automatically by Windows update. I made a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit this month and I only needed to additionally install drivers for my Video card and Corsair Link for my liquid CPU cooler. But this is for a desktop obviously.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:40   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have had enough with Win 10. Since I am not seeing too many complaints, I am thinking of doing a clean install. Now in my Lenovo Flex 14 the Drivers are in D:\Drivers\<function>. I have also copied them into F:\ftp\drivers. Now to do a clean install I will need the drivers. Are their any tricks involved.

I am getting sick of doing a reinstall of the recovery backup every three weeks! If this also, fails then I will probably revert to Win 8.1!!
Since there is opportunity to install Windows 10 on clean system, I would suggest to ditch all he hidden system partitions came on the Lenovo machine like one key recovery etc. They aren't of any use once the system is upgraded onto Win10. Windows automatically senses the OEM key which is prefixed in the bios. If yo are hell bent on having a recovery partition then create it using Windows, there is feature to have one on the system itself along with separate recovery disk. That way your hard disk will be having fewer and lesser messy partition table.

Once you have finished setting up Windows, you can also install Linux along side Windows and can enjoy phenomenally fast performance, especially the quick boot and shut down times. I end up using Linux much more than Windows these days on my Laptop.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:42   #500
BHPian

Quote:

I took the easy way out and reverted to Windows 7 within a week of upgrading to Windows 10
Basically got fed-up with never-ending issues!
Old 26th November 2015, 11:14   #501
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Most of the drivers should be installed by default and/or downloaded automatically by Windows update. I made a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit this month and I only needed to additionally install drivers for my Video card and Corsair Link for my liquid CPU cooler. But this is for a desktop obviously.
What is bugging me that it has to find the Driver for the WiFi, else nothing else gets done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Since there is opportunity to install Windows 10 on clean system, I would suggest to ditch all he hidden system partitions came on the Lenovo machine like one key recovery etc. They aren't of any use once the system is upgraded onto Win10.
In any case One Key is u/s in Win10, so I have moved on to AOMEI, which works. It installs in the system and shows up as an OS option. As for the partition I have used the EaseUS Manager to remove (and clean up) quite a lot of junk. I am on the horns of dilemma. While I have (and maintain) backups of the other partitions, but an a bit scared about totally cleaning up the system of all partitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I took the easy way out and reverted to Windows 7 within a week of upgrading to Windows 10
Basically got fed-up with never-ending issues!
That is the last option Win 8.1 in my case! But I am coming to quite like Win10, when it works.
Old 26th November 2015, 11:37   #502
BHPian

Quote:
While I have (and maintain) backups of the other partitions, but an a bit scared about totally cleaning up the system of all partitions.
No need to get scared, I have done it on my Y50-70 when I received Windows 10 update. Feeling so much relived after that. Otherwise never could use my laptop freely due to fear of the spywares which came preloaded onto it on the name of Lenovo official apps along with lot other Lenovo craps.

Lenovo systems come with lot of hidden system partitions, which can't be seen through normal disk partitions tools. You just need to backup the drivers and apps came stored on one of the partitions, Or maybe you can clone the full disk using any strong cloning tool in case you feel that you may have to restore back to stock, thats it.

These Chinese manufacturers are so shameless that they don't even hesitate injecting their spywares on the system partitions, rather have heard that spywares found even in Lenovo One Key Recovery. So its better to do the clean up on the first day we get anything form these Chinese, or better we fully skip buying anything from them.
Old 26th November 2015, 11:57   #503
BANNED

Quote:
Lenovo systems come with lot of hidden system partitions, which can't be seen through normal disk partitions tools. You just need to backup the drivers and apps came stored on one of the partitions, Or maybe you can clone the full disk using any strong cloning tool in case you feel that you may have to restore back to stock, thats it.
Yes, going through operating EaseUS I did spot a lot of partitions, many unlabelled. I removed many of these. EaseUS came with a very high rating, hence I downloaded and installed it. I still miss my Partition Magic! Also, AOMEI One Key also came highly recommended and does the job. Lenovo One Key does not work in Win10.

Yes, both EaseUS and AOMEI are Chinese and I was quite amazed by the quality. Both come highly recommended in review. I still miss good old Partition Magic.

What I may do is take a second backup of the partitions (E & F to me) and then do a clean up. MAybe wait for a couple of weeks for the 1511 to be sorted out fully.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th November 2015 at 12:01.
Old 26th November 2015, 12:39   #504
BHPian

Quote:
What I may do is take a second backup of the partitions (E & F to me) and then do a clean up. MAybe wait for a couple of weeks for the 1511 to be sorted out fully.
Much easier and reliable way to clean up the disk partition is download any of Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint etc (I prefer Mint), make bootable USB then follow these steps:

1. Boot the system using it.

2. Go into disk utility, delete all the partitions

3. Create single partition, perform full format which will take lot of time. Maybe you need to leave the system overnight.

4. You can keep using Linux till the formatting is finished and can see if you like it

5. Now delete that single partition also to bring the disk back into the unpartitioned stage. Now reboot the system using your Windows 10 media.

6. There you can re-partition the disk as per Windows requirement.

7. You can leave some unpartitoned space something like 50 odd GB here if you plan to install Linux on the system disk. Linux usually needs 3 separate partitions - boot, home and swap. 20-20 GB are good enough for boot and home, 10-15Gb is more than sufficient for swap. You can access all of your Windows partitions and data in the Linux but can't see or access your Linux partitions or data in Windows.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 26th November 2015 at 12:41.
Old 26th November 2015, 14:06   #505
BHPian

Quote:
What is bugging me that it has to find the Driver for the WiFi, else nothing else gets done.
Buy a 5 meter patch cord (Cat 5/6) and connect the laptop to your home router for the initiation phase if that is an option.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:12   #506
BANNED

Quote:
Much easier and reliable way to clean up the disk partition is download any of Linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint etc (I prefer Mint), make bootable USB then follow these steps:

1. Boot the system using it.
I had my Asus i7 dual boot, until I got a real rogue Ubuntu distro. Removed it and have not tried it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Buy a 5 meter patch cord (Cat 5/6) and connect the laptop to your home router for the initiation phase if that is an option.
Never struck me, of course I have a ethernet patch cord handy (2m!). I can get a 5m/10m made easily or borrow one.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:31   #507
BHPian

I had enough problems along with lag with windows 10 and decided to go back to 8.1. I even had upgraded to 8GB memory and installed a SSD in the hope of getting rid of the lag .
Old 27th November 2015, 14:53   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I had enough problems along with lag with windows 10 and decided to go back to 8.1. I even had upgraded to 8GB memory and installed a SSD in the hope of getting rid of the lag .
For what actions do you notice the lag? What is the H/W spec its running on ?

Since anything that runs 8.1 should be better in 10, unless there are conflicts/ incorrect drivers.

Will wait for the experts as well.
Old 27th November 2015, 15:06   #509
BANNED

Quote:
3. Create single partition, perform full format which will take lot of time. Maybe you need to leave the system overnight.
4. You can keep using Linux till the formatting is finished and can see if you like it

5. Now delete that single partition also to bring the disk back into the unpartitioned stage. Now reboot the system using your Windows 10 media.
I have downloaded both Ubuntu & Mint. The latter seems to be much better organised. Now I will use rufus to prepare a install USB. As for 5 how do I do it. It is ages since I did this work. I doubt whether I will leave my system dual boot - shortage of disk space. I am thinking of another system, which will be either dual boot. Else, I may make one system Linux and the second one dual boot.

I return home next week, so may do the job the following weekend.
Old 27th November 2015, 17:26   #510
BHPian

^ Open 'Menu' when you are on Mint desktop. You will find 'Disks' under 'Preferences', open it.

Here you should be able to see all the partitions of your hard disk. First you need to delete all of them using the '-' (minus) sign visible at bottom of 'Volumes'.

If choices are disabled then you may have to mount the hard disk by clicking the 'play' button.

Once all the partitions are deleted, your disk will come into unpartitioned state from where you will have to recreate a single partition of full available capacity. Once prompted with file system options, choose NTFS at this stage. Now perform 'Full' partition using gears button available next to 'minus' button.

Full format takes long time like full day or so depending on the disk size so plan your schedule accordingly.

Once formatting is done, delete that single partition also otherwise your disk won't be accessible during Windows setup.

Hope all goes well.

EDIT: Please see the screenshot to see how to access 'Disks' utility:

The Windows 10 Thread!-screenshot-20151127-173335.png

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th November 2015 at 17:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks