Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 22:40   #511
BHPian

Urgent help needed experts! Shrinked my drives, created free space and installed elementary OS. After installation, it prompted for a restart. After restart, my system automatically booted in Windows 10. I have no clue how to go back to elementary OS now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th November 2015, 10:40   #512
BANNED

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Thanks a lot. Now one I am back in Kanpur a feeling a bit stable i will try and do the job. Sounds pretty straight forward, though things never are.
Old 28th November 2015, 20:04   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Urgent help needed experts! Shrinked my drives, created free space and installed elementary OS. After installation, it prompted for a restart. After restart, my system automatically booted in Windows 10. I have no clue how to go back to elementary OS now.

Thanks in advance.
Looks like your Linux Grub (bootloader) is messed up or your Linux partitions may not be properly configured. Did you successfully create all the three necessity partitions on the free space before setting up your Linus OS: 1. Root, 2 Home and 3. Swap?

If you are sure that the setup went successful then you can repair the Linux Grub, just Google using appropriate keywords, fixes are pretty straight forward if reason is broken Grub.You may have to use Linux Ubuntu or mint instead of Elimentory OS in search keywords to receive better result. Steps are almost same in all Debian distros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks a lot. Now one I am back in Kanpur a feeling a bit stable i will try and do the job. Sounds pretty straight forward, though things never are.
Best of luck. It's been quite some time when I performed this clean disk installation process on my laptop so not sure if you will need to perform the step 5. Just try to perform Windows setup before deleting that fully formatted single partition in the Linux, rather delete it during the windows setup and recreate partitions there according to your requirement along with leaving some unpartioned space for Linux installation. If you see some trouble during partition creation during Windows swtup the rebot the system using your Linux bootable media and deleted that partition at there and try again.

Overall logic is to prepare a fully formated fresh hard disk and create partitions during win10 setup for 'clean' Windows setup.

Do not create lot of primary partitions. If your disk already has four primary partitions then you wont be able to setup Linux in dual boot config. Though Windows will also create around four partitions but those are not primary so if you have only C drive along with other partitions created by windows setup then its taken as one primary partition and if you have created C and D then those are two.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 28th November 2015 at 20:11.
Old 29th November 2015, 09:16   #514
BANNED

Oops, I goofed a bit. I will be back in Kanpur next week, and considering we would have been out for over two months it may take some time to do pending things. I am budgeting a day for the Laptop fixing. I may even move some of the stuff over to my wife's i3, just for safekeeping.
Old 1st December 2015, 09:06   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post

Thanks in advance.
Was there an option to configure Grub during Installation.Its quiet possible that grub installed on the first sector of the boot partition.You need to have grub on the MBR.
If the Elementary OS installation disk has a rescue image ,boot with it and when dropped on the command prompt just run the command from the command prompt.

#grub-install /dev/sda or whatever your device name is .You can use fdisk to figure out the device name.

Last edited by Ravi Yadav : 1st December 2015 at 09:07.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:43   #516
BHPian

I have 2 laptops; Dell with i3 + 4GB RAM and a Lenovo with i5 + 8GB RAM. Upgraded both to W10 sometime in Nov'15, from W7 and W8.1 respectively.

Both the system would boot up normally. Dell would be dead in no time and the newer Lenovo, would start to crawl thereon. Even a simple print command would take minutes!!! Wireless printing did not work with my HP printer. Hanged every time I connected to my TV with HDMI.

Finally gave up today and returned to my previous OS. Planning to install a W7 in Lenovo too... Of all 3 OS, W7 has worked best for me.

Its such a relief to experience them working again!!!
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:52   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post

Finally gave up today and returned to my previous OS. Planning to install a W7 in Lenovo too... Of all 3 OS, W7 has worked best for me.

Its such a relief to experience them working again!!!
Try Linux Mint. You'll love the experience.

Neel
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:11   #518
Senior - BHPian

I reverted back the laptop at home to Win 7. Win 10 was slow and there was an annoying flicker on the screen every now and then even after updating all drivers. Decided to revert back and the process was very hassle free and quick. Took less than 20 minutes. Just wasted time and a few gigs on my broadband. Will give it some more months and check again.

Just need to open Start menu and select Settings. And Click “Update & security” icon to select “Recovery.”
Old 6th December 2015, 08:35   #519
BANNED

Yesterday, it prompted and then downloaded the 1511 update. Took a long time to install, came back with a lot of whumf when restarted, seems stable. I looked into the partition table (used EaseUS) and there are over 20 partitions with all sorts of junk, so yes, I will do a clean up eventually. Maybe wait for Win 10 with the 1511 upgrade built in, and then download it.

Post 1511 seems that Cortona is now there. What is the experience with it?
Old 6th December 2015, 17:49   #520
BANNED

I must say Win10 with the updates esp 1511 seems petty stable.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:01   #521
BANNED

Partition Table on my Lenovo Flex 2 14.
Partititons C:, E: F: are mine, D: is Lenovo drivers. AIMEI are recovery, and the rest - garbage from Lenovo.
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows 10 Thread!-full_part.jpg  

Old 9th December 2015, 13:23   #522
Senior - BHPian

I've connected my desktop via the HDMI output from the graphics card to my Pioneer AV Receiver. This is then connected to the TV - HDMI. I've set up the display option in the Control panel to "150%" or something to that extent so that the icons and text isn't too small when I am using the TV as a monitor.

Now, the problem is that sometimes when I boot up the machine, it goes back to the default view settings i.e 100%. I have to reboot the machine to get it back to 150%. This is quite quirky. Any ideas how I can fix this? Yes, I have updated to the latest drivers.
Old 11th December 2015, 16:57   #523
BANNED

With the system misbehaving again I took the plunge and cleaned and reinstalled win 10. As per the suggestion of tbppjr I used a bootable Mint USB to boot. After a bit of a struggle I managed to remove all partitions. Now I could not find how to format the partition. So I rebooted with a Win 10 USB and lo and behold got the OS installed. It created three partitions and then after a format I got the C: going. Installed Win 10 in about an hour in all. Now I am unable to create the two additional partitions I need (work, and archive), since MBR only supports four in all, while I will need five (three windows plus the two created by MINT). So I will try with EaseUS and see. I am still waiting for the OS update to cpmplete and so cannot reboot. Also, it is taking ages to load the YSB drivers so I cannot start uploading my working data. How do you get extended partitions with the crappy Partition Manager of Windows.
Old 11th December 2015, 17:31   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Installed Win 10 in about an hour in all. Now I am unable to create the two additional partitions I need (work, and archive), since MBR only supports four in all, while I will need five (three windows plus the two created by MINT). So I will try with EaseUS and see. I am still waiting for the OS update to cpmplete and so cannot reboot. Also, it is taking ages to load the YSB drivers so I cannot start uploading my working data. How do you get extended partitions with the crappy Partition Manager of Windows.
Just hold on sir, no need for any third party tool, your windows and mint will do the job. Follow these steps:

1. Right click on start menu icon in Windows and open 'Disk Management' utility.

2. There you will see your hard disk partitions. Select the partition having maximum free space available.

3. Right click on this partition and choose "shrink volume". A dialog box will appear asking you how much size you want to shrink. Enter the appropriate figure.

4. Once done, you will have a new unpartitioned disk available. You can decide it according to your requirement. Create partitions you want in Windows leaving appropriate unpartitionrd space for the Mint.

If possible then please put screenshot of disk management utility before proceeding.

Let me also advice you that whenever we are preparing any dual-tripple boot system from scratch, we should only install the OS and should avoid hurdles of software updates and drivers installation. First we should finish up all OS setup. because in case something goes wrong and we have to restart the whole process, we lose only the time spent on OS setup, the long time spent on other tasks won't go waste.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 11th December 2015 at 17:32.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:37   #525
BANNED

@tbppjpr; Did exactly that but was running into the wall of max four primary partitions. So with two addition partitions there was no way I was getting my three in. EaseUS put the partition as a Logical partition. So now I have all the three Windows partitions I require.

Also, ran into another issue, it was taking the USB hard disk (pings) but not showing that in the This PC (old MyComputer), So after fishing I used the trick (of Win XP vintage) of selecting a drive letter (I chose M) and then associating the drive with it. I needed this fast in order to restore my data and archive partitions. All my software is on the latter and the data on the former! As it happened I managed to drop and clobber one of by backup drives, so was in a bit of tension, since i had only one backup (I did a double) before starting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks