Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 09:24   #526
BANNED

Kaspersky warning!

By the looks of it Kaspersky is still incompatible with Win10. I reinstalled Win10 SL Home 64-bit. It was working very nicely with no issues. I added AOMEI One Key and already had EaseUS Partition Magic Installed.

Yesterday I decided to revert to my favorite Anti-virus Kaspersky Internet Security. I got the latest 2016 16.0.0.614/8223 from their site. Installed and activated. However, this was where all hell broke loose. It was unable to authenticate OneDrive (asked me to log in every time), and hung up on Chrome. So I ended up removing kaspersky. Then on rebooting the Start Key (windows icon on the extreme LH side) stopped working. I ultimately ended up installing my Recovery from the previous day, and went back to the MSE as a security. My daughter reports that AVG Free works fine.

So a warning about Kaspersky, and what anti-Virus do I use?
Old 18th December 2015, 09:49   #527
BHPian

Re: Kaspersky warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
By the looks of it Kaspersky is still incompatible with Win10. I reinstalled Win10 SL Home 64-bit. It was working very nicely with no issues. I added AOMEI One Key and already had EaseUS Partition Magic Installed.

I too have the Win 10 64 bit pro Edition. I use Nod 32 Antivirus .It works fine.No issues at all.Give it a try.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th January 2016 at 22:12. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post, cause inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:11   #528
BANNED

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

My woes are not over. My Hard Disk has crashed. Since I have a two year additional warranty, I should get a replacement disk in due course. My supplier is already at it. Is there someplace I can download the latest Win10 SL (64 bit). My download was on 25 August and the 1511 update is here!
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:14   #529
BHPian

Quote:
My woes are not over. My Hard Disk has crashed. Since I have a two year additional warranty, I should get a replacement disk in due course. My supplier is already at it. Is there someplace I can download the latest Win10 SL (64 bit). My download was on 25 August and the 1511 update is here!
Here is the link to download. These are original ISO(check the Sha1).

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...t-X-quot-files
Old 24th December 2015, 14:13   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I second that. Kaspersky AV seems to have some issues with Windows 10. I too have Kaspersky installed. Recently, it came up with a information about an upgrade to the 2016 version of the AV. After upgrading, the machine re-started but somehow the blue screen of death appeared.

I too had to restore it to a previous restore point in order for Windows 10 to work correctly. Next day the same update warning popped up and the machine re-started again. But thankfully this time everything went smoothly. Windows 10 is booting and working normally and Kaspersky is upgraded to the 2016 version something.

I never managed to figure out what the problem was though. Note that mine is a brand new Acer Laptop purchased some two months ago.
Old 25th December 2015, 11:34   #531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Here is the link to download. These are original ISO(check the Sha1).

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...t-X-quot-files
This site demands a login. I did manage to get the latest (1511 included) from the Microsoft Tech Bench. I used Rufus to make a bootable USB drive for installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I second that. Kaspersky AV seems to have some issues with Windows 10. I too have Kaspersky installed. Recently, it came up with a information about an upgrade to the 2016 version of the AV. After upgrading, the machine re-started but somehow the blue screen of death appeared.

I too had to restore it to a previous restore point in order for Windows 10 to work correctly. Next day the same update warning popped up and the machine re-started again. But thankfully this time everything went smoothly. Windows 10 is booting and working normally and Kaspersky is upgraded to the 2016 version something.

I never managed to figure out what the problem was though. Note that mine is a brand new Acer Laptop purchased some two months ago.
I started with the 2016 version which I downloaded from them. On tenforums the discussion has centred around Mcafee and some mention of AVG.

Let me get my new hard disk, in a couple of days, and then I will check out.
Old 28th December 2015, 09:27   #532
BANNED

Got the laptop with a new HDD on the 26th late evening. Smart job, reported on the 23rd, the new disk dispatched on the same evening, and system delivered on the 26th. Thanks to Mr Lalchandani with whom I have been dealing for well over 15 years. As it happens the disk was physically installed but not enabled. I had some fun doing that.

The bootlloader did not see it. I booted in Linux (Mint) and all it was showing was a 8GB SSD. While fooling around I found a 465GB partition uninstalled, installed and formatted it. Booting back into the bootloader, it was net seeing the Windows USB Installer, prepared using Rufus (now 2.6) on the downloaded ISO. I found I had to change the configuration to Legacy at two places. Then it saw the USB Pen and things went smoothly from there. I chose the Win10 SE (64-bit) International English, which is by the looks of it GB. Now I have run out of bandwidth in my 20GB Connection.

One point, always download the current version of Win10 from MS Tech Workbench before installing, since otherwise upgrades take far longer.

Having been spoilt by Partition Magic, I find the Windows partition manager a dinosaur. So I loaded EaseUS and partitioned the drive. 110GB for main, 100GB for Wrok, and 120GB forArchives. Still about 130GB left. When I install AOMEI One key Recovery that will use up about 45GB (incl one Backup) and then I may leave the remainder for Linux, if I again feel like playing with it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th December 2015 at 09:30.
Old 29th January 2016, 22:01   #533
BHPian

Virtual PC Support?

Only issue holding me from moving into Win 10, is lack of support for 'virtual PC'. Are there any workarounds for this issue?

Please advise!
Old 29th January 2016, 22:04   #534
Senior - BHPian

Re: Virtual PC Support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Only issue holding me from moving into Win 10, is lack of support for 'virtual PC'. Are there any workarounds for this issue?

Please advise!
You have Hyper-V integrated into the OS which is the replacement for Virtual PC. Otherwise you can use VMware or Virtual Box. Both work better than the outdated Virtual PC anyways.
Old 29th January 2016, 22:12   #535
Senior - BHPian

Checking this thread after long time.
Quote:
If it helps, I am using Avast Anti Virus from day 1 & no issues so far.
Old 30th January 2016, 16:21   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

So far I have used the following AV suites:

a) Norton Security with Backup, 3 year subscription
b) Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, 3 year subscription
c) Bitdefender Total Security 2016, 1 year subscription

BD was the cheapest, followed by Kaspersky and the most expensive was NSWB.

Major issues with BD for me, for some reason their firewall adds latency to the network. This was noticed in version 2015 too.

No such issues with Kaspersky or Norton. I've stuck with Norton as I did for nearly 10 years now. Happy with the choice. Have given away the BD and KIS licenses to friends and family.
Old 8th February 2016, 13:30   #537
BHPian

I have an AMD based desktop Rig with an Asus A8n SLI Premium motherboard and an Opteron 170 processor. I had a SLI GE Force video card. This config worked well with XP, but when I moved to Win 7, the PC would crash inconsistently. This resulted in my not using my desktop for about 5 years now. I recently upgraded it to Win 10 and it worked for a few hours. But ever since, it has gotten into an infinite loop of crash on boot up (some update may have run) and I have not been able to resolve it. I tried to sort it out for a week and finally went to Ubuntu just to see if it would work fine or if there was a hardware issue. Ubuntu works just great and now I realize that Win 10 is not ready for older config hardware yet. I suppose I can try once they release SP1. However, am not confident as Win 7 had never resolved the crashes. I believe it is something to do with the NVidia drivers on the motherboard, but i am not that much of a techie to resolve this. My beef is that I spent close to 1.2L on my configuration and sourced all components from the US in 2006/2007, Toshiba TFT from Japan etc but never used it to its full potential...
The Win 10 upgrade worked well on a new Win 8 laptop for me though.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:16   #538
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am looking to buy original windows 10 home edition for my PC. Any idea where to buy it from? I can find it only on Snapdeal. Local PC shop is quoting Rs 6.8K but for the OEM version which comes in a pouch. I don't want the OEM version, but the retail version (boxed).
Old 18th February 2016, 20:27   #539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking to buy original windows 10 home edition for my PC. Any idea where to buy it from? I can find it only on Snapdeal. Local PC shop is quoting Rs 6.8K but for the OEM version which comes in a pouch. I don't want the OEM version, but the retail version (boxed).
From Microsoft directly, of course. Though I am not sure if they sell those boxed versions themselves. You can also find the address of the resellers in your city/town on MS website.
Old 18th February 2016, 20:32   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
From Microsoft directly, of course. Though I am not sure if they sell those boxed versions themselves. You can also find the address of the resellers in your city/town on MS website.
Its available for download (for Rs 7.9K approx) on Microsoft website, but I want proper Disc actually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks