Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th October 2019, 18:59   #646
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How to enable Hibernate on Win 10 ?

I have tried the Power settings (what the power buttons do), groupedit and also searched registry. I am not able to find any way to enable the hibernate option (it shows disabled in Control Panel > Power settings.

Work laptop?

In the 'choose what power buttons do' section, don't you have an option that says 'change settings that are currently unavailable'?

It prompts for admin access on my office laptop so it may be disabled by office admin policy on yours.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2019 at 19:00.
Old 20th October 2019, 19:06   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Work laptop?
Yes, work laptop. That setting is disabled. So cant change - even if I had the admin password.
Old 21st October 2019, 10:58   #648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, work laptop. That setting is disabled. So cant change - even if I had the admin password.
Don't fight the force then.

The problem ain't finding a workaround. Even if you do, they can roll it back at next scan (if your org administers device policy remotely).
Old 24th October 2019, 21:51   #649
Senior - BHPian

First of all, Sorry guys for not updating here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurangsaini View Post
To perform the reset, open Settings app from start menu, select 'Update & Security', select 'Recovery' from the left pane, click on 'Get started' under 'Reset this PC', and select 'Keep my files'.
Thank you for suggesting this. After performing this step, the performance of laptop was restored.
I have upgraded to 1903 in last week of September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Your windows 10 will get activated when you connect online.

As for the rest, you will need to reinstall just as you would when purchased new.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Create an Microsoft account and add your laptop to the account. Login with the same Microsoft account on your office as well. Next time when you re-install, just login to your laptop with your microsoft account and it will pull everything from it and activate the respective products.
I had already created Microsoft Account while Activating Windows first time last Nov. (2018).
Anyways Thank you, Sagar.
Old 24th October 2019, 22:49   #650
BHPian

Anyone knows a good antivirus that doesn't affect system performance and interfere with working? Something simple and one that doesn't irritate us with pop-ups. Had McAfee preinstalled, which expired, it was horrible, slowed down the PC.
Currently using Kaspersky Trial version, found it alright but it still has too many notifications, which refuse to go away.

Using a Dell Inspiron 5559 running a pirated copy of Windows 10 Enterprise edition. The laptop had come with preinstalled software but it was Windows Home, many third party applications did not work on that and was filled with Dell Bloatware, couldn't live with it.
Old 25th October 2019, 07:27   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Anyone knows a good antivirus that doesn't affect system performance and interfere with working? Something simple and one that doesn't irritate us with pop-ups.
Avast Free Antivirus.

I have been using the same on my personal laptop for 5+ years. Does NOT affect performance and very lightweight.
Old 25th October 2019, 08:11   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Avast Free Antivirus.

I have been using the same on my personal laptop for 5+ years. Does NOT affect performance and very lightweight.
+1 to that. I am using Avast free antivirus on two laptops and my mobile. It throws a few ads in the mobile version but is not intrusive at all in the laptop. An absolute joy to use. It also has a web shield which you can add to your browser which provides added security, especially helpful while following links thrown up by google search results.
Old 25th October 2019, 09:17   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Even if you do, they can roll it back at next scan (if your org administers device policy remotely).
Remote Roll back is possible - but at least finding how to make it work .. ?
It was working on the Win-10 that I had till last week, but not on the one I have now. I tried the "powercfg /hibernate on" - this throws an error.

Reason why I have been searching for this is - the sleep doesnt always work. Something will trigger it and the laptop is back up and running.

Anyway, have done a work-around by setting the what to do on shutting the lid
Old 25th October 2019, 11:15   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Anyone knows a good antivirus that doesn't affect system performance and interfere with working? ...
1. If bloatware was the issue, you can do a fresh installation of Win10 which will have none of the bloatware.

2. For anti-virus, would recommend Windows defender, the inbuilt anti-virus, which is as good as any other, provided you are aware of what you are doing, online and offline.

3. Avast, as others have mentioned, is a good free anti-virus for personal use. But, not sure if you will be able to install it on an enterprise edition software.
Old 25th October 2019, 18:33   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Avast Free Antivirus.

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
1. If bloatware was the issue, you can do a fresh installation of Win10 which will have none of the bloatware.

3. Avast, as others have mentioned, is a good free anti-virus for personal use. But, not sure if you will be able to install it on an enterprise edition software.
Bloatware was one issue, it was filled with Dell programs, was seriously irritating

Another issue was the fact Adobe's Pro series doesn't work on the Win Home Edition. Hence I installed Win Enterprise Edition.

Also, I had to manually shutdown Windows Updates regularly on the Home edition, here if I disable it, it stays disabled. Another way is to set the connection as metered connection, so background data use by Windows is limited. I am okay with updates and that they increase security, but they download while I browse online and suck the bandwidth. On top of that, they install the update every time on startup, this is really irritating as the laptop needs to whenever I want for taking lectures, I don't want to wait 10 to 15 minutes infront of the class for it load. Really sad the fact Microsoft never does anything about this.

Kaspersky Trial Version is working fine on Enterprise, will install Avast now. Thank You for the info.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:34   #656
BHPian

Prelude: I am not sure where to post this. So Mods - I am sorry if this message doesn't belong here.

My new laptop runs OEM windows 10 Home edition and of late I get the nagging screen which states that there is a problem in my Microsoft account. When I try to change the password or try to reset it, it asks me to fill in the phone number. But no text message.
It says at other times, that this service is not available. The laptop has its own admin account and I can login with no difficulty. It has issues only with its outlook account which doesn't allow me to reset even with email account. It doesn't communicate with text or by email.
A google search asked me to reset the time. No luck.
Any pointers ?
Old 17th July 2020, 19:40   #657
BHPian

Hey guys, so I've started as an intern at an upcoming food delivery kitchen based in Bangalore, and they have given me the task of researching various items such as wheat, rice etc. and find out about farmers who supply them. They told me to create some really complex looking dashboards, which I really don't have any idea on how to proceed, does anyone here know how to do that in excel ?

Most Viewed