Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 18:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I wont be downloading the RTM ISO from anywhere except an official MS download site. Simply too risky.

PS - This is when the formal announcement is expected; @ the WPC on Thurs 8:45 ET (18:15 IST) - https://news.microsoft.com/wpc2015/

PPS - A formal announcement may even come in on Wed 15th.
That is unexpected and should be new. Some sites were expecting a delay.
By the way, this WPC was scheduled but people are so far expecting a delay. Anyway you have 2 days to find out. I am not actually looking forward to getting the RTM bits ASAP. In fact unlike 7/8/8.1, I have experimented less on 10 in VM/physical machine. I think I have the ISO/VM/physical build of 10074. Have not bothered after that.

Of course, you should not download except from MS (msdn perhaps). But very few people have access to MSDN downloads (as you might have). It costs a bomb. One reputed alternate site is of course MDL. People do download from links there and of course do a hash check with MSDN. I had a Technet account till late 2013 and so got windows 8.1 first ISO. But I had to download 8.1 April 2014 and Nov 2014 ISO refresh from MDL links.

Last edited by vasudeva : 13th July 2015 at 18:43.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:48   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Newbie alert: Samu, for threat management on multiple PCs why not get a single firewall like Cyberoam, Fortigate (Fortinet), Sonicwall, or Baracuda? Is there a reason you use Windows firewall?
I do have Sonicwall at office and Bangalore home. But there are laptops in the office that are often taken home by employees, or they bring their personal laptop to work. So we keep the windows firewall on too.

The Windows 10 Thread!-dsc_0128.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 13th July 2015 at 18:56.
Old 13th July 2015, 23:25   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
That is unexpected and should be new. Some sites were expecting a delay.
By the way, this WPC was scheduled but people are so far expecting a delay. Anyway you have 2 days to find out. I am not actually looking forward to getting the RTM bits ASAP. In fact unlike 7/8/8.1, I have experimented less on 10 in VM/physical machine. I think I have the ISO/VM/physical build of 10074. Have not bothered after that.
The actual RTM sign off date is still a matter of conjecture at this point of time, with varying dates claimed by different sites. All in all it should be out within a week.

About Windows 10, I like what I have been seeing so far over the past week or two. Build 10166 definitely runs better than Win 8.1 Pro ever did on my main desktop machine. And this is with an in place upgrade, a fresh install should do better.

As for the actual release of RTM, I expect it will be released as an install.esd file over Windows update for those using the Insider builds just as 10166 was rolled out to those using 10162. There are methods to create an ISO image from that esd file which is what I will eventually use to update my home PCs. No point downloading several GBs of data multiple times. Of course needless to say one needs a legal copy of Windows 7 or 8 for the RTM to remain properly licensed. Though I use a preview build my OS license is still classified as Retail because it was an in place upgrade to a retail version of Win 8.1 Pro.

Quote:
But very few people have access to MSDN downloads (as you might have). It costs a bomb.
I had personal MSDN and Technet subscriptions a long time ago but later got whatever I needed through the companies that I worked for via their MSDN enterprise subscriptions. Technet is now discontinued and I find MSDN too expensive for me as an individual.
Old 14th July 2015, 18:02   #79
Team-BHP Support

Getting a new PC today. Now I am conflicted about whether to install Win8.1 or "Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview" or wait for the July 29th for the Win10 GA version.

Since I have MSDN, I can download any one of them. But, which one?
Old 14th July 2015, 18:59   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Getting a new PC today. Now I am conflicted about whether to install Win8.1 or "Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview" or wait for the July 29th for the Win10 GA version.

Since I have MSDN, I can download any one of them. But, which one?
If it's a key work laptop i.e. will be used to work on important data, I'd use Windows 8.1.

If it's a home laptop and you backup frequently then it's W10 Pro. The latest build for W10 Pro is 10166 and it's pretty good. Not sure what build version W10 Enterprise is on at this time.

Talking about RTM dates - softpedia also believes RTM will be announced on 15th Jul..late night tomorrow or early Thursday morning IST.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windo...5-486691.shtml
Old 14th July 2015, 19:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it's a key work laptop i.e. will be used to work on important data, I'd use Windows 8.1.

If it's a home laptop and you backup frequently then it's W10 Pro. The latest build for W10 Pro is 10166 and it's pretty good. Not sure what build version W10 Enterprise is on at this time.

Talking about RTM dates - softpedia also believes RTM will be announced on 15th Jul..late night tomorrow or early Thursday morning IST.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windo...5-486691.shtml
I have read a lot about ESD and how people do it on MDL. I wanted to get a win 10 ISO. I hope that will be available soon (0-90 days). So far I have not applied almost all the major updates (3035583 etc) that give a store nag. There are registry entries too that are available. This + iso gives me the freedom to do a fresh install when I want to instead of downloading again and again. I anyway do a fresh install every 45-60 days and keep acronis backups on a 2-3 days cycle in 3-4 destinations (full backup). Just delete the old one.

So, another 26-30 hours when people here get the ISO??

Last edited by vasudeva : 14th July 2015 at 19:23.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

'Had registered for Win10 a long time ago!

Oh July 29, I await thee!
Old 14th July 2015, 19:42   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The MSDN is only offering build 10074. So I quickly signed up for insider preview, that is offering Build 10162.

Anyway, I think I will postpone Win10 by a month for the real deal. Sticking to Win81 enterprise for now.
Old 14th July 2015, 19:43   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

I too have registered but I think the roll out will be staggered out and not happen on the same day.
Old 14th July 2015, 21:07   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The MSDN is only offering build 10074. So I quickly signed up for insider preview, that is offering Build 10162.

Anyway, I think I will postpone Win10 by a month for the real deal. Sticking to Win81 enterprise for now.
That's the best option.

But if you (or anyone else) are really curious about knowing how W10 is shaping up, 10162 can be updated to 10166 if you hurry because they're pulling the download links any time today.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...w-build-10166/

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I too have registered but I think the roll out will be staggered out and not happen on the same day.
Yes, it will be staggered. There are millions of PCs to update and starting the update process on all PCs will slow down their data links and windows update servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Do remember, this is a staggered update. You may or may not get the update on 29th. It will run in batches, in an order or schedule that only MS is aware of.

Quote:
I have read a lot about ESD and how people do it on MDL. I wanted to get a win 10 ISO. I hope that will be available soon (0-90 days). So far I have not applied almost all the major updates (3035583 etc) that give a store nag. There are registry entries too that are available. This + iso gives me the freedom to do a fresh install when I want to instead of downloading again and again. I anyway do a fresh install every 45-60 days and keep acronis backups on a 2-3 days cycle in 3-4 destinations (full backup). Just delete the old one.

So, another 26-30 hours when people here get the ISO??
I created an ISO of 10166 from the ESD that was downloaded by Windows build 10162. Have both ISOs just in case. I am not leery about creating an ISO from the RTM update (whenever it comes thru to insider preview test PCs, very hopefully in the next day or two), but will obviously prefer an ISO direct from MS. But that will take time and I am not prepared to wait. 10166 has made me throw caution to the wind. This is the 1st time in decades that I have installed MS beta software on my home PC and frankly I haven't been disappointed.

Well, hope to get the RTM ISO on Thurs if not late tomorrow night. Will report back here. Once again there's no saying if they will actually freeze on the build tomorrow. If there are bugs they could postpone it yet again. The last talked about RTM date was Thurs 9th Jul.
Old 15th July 2015, 21:32   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

RTM not announced at the WPC 2015. So final build still up in the air. That said Insiders have had their updates moved to Windows update production servers via registry tweaks. New builds will be from the TH1 branch.
Old 15th July 2015, 22:46   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Build 240 has been finalised according to reports

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/89...ws-10-rtm-date

http://www.winbeta.org/news/screensh...tm-build-10240

http://www.winbeta.org/news/screensh...tm-build-10240

Assuming the above is true I await the final update to the 10166 preview build

PS - Even Insider updates expected to roll out starting 29/7. If it does download any sooner, I'll update this thread.

PPS - Now it's 20 years since Windows 95. Gosh! https://twitter.com/bradsilverberg/s...75519631560704

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th July 2015 at 22:52.
Old 16th July 2015, 08:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PPS - Now it's 20 years since Windows 95. Gosh! https://twitter.com/bradsilverberg/s...75519631560704
You know I was tasked to install windows 95 at my old office for one system in late 1995. That was on floppy disk and took ages with multiple floppies.
That being said win 95 really caused a huge upsurge in MS fortunes and pretty soon they were the default OS. WWW and bundled free IE followed almost immediately. It was further consolidated by office 97?? WWW. Remember IE and MS internal memo vowing to cut off Netscape's air supply. Within a few years, MS was a subject of antitrust investigations, the same way Google is now.

Last edited by vasudeva : 16th July 2015 at 08:34.
Old 16th July 2015, 09:55   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You know I was tasked to install windows 95 at my old office for one system in late 1995. That was on floppy disk and took ages with multiple floppies.
That being said win 95 really caused a huge upsurge in MS fortunes and pretty soon they were the default OS. WWW and bundled free IE followed almost immediately. It was further consolidated by office 97?? WWW. Remember IE and MS internal memo vowing to cut off Netscape's air supply. Within a few years, MS was a subject of antitrust investigations, the same way Google is now.
Oh yes I remember Windows 95 very well. I bought the software in Aug 95 from an MS distributor in Pune and began to load it via floppy disks. Cost me about a bit over Rs 6K (IIRC), a tidy sum in those days!

Windows 10 - I am currently downloading a new build of W10 Pro from their production server "TH1 Professional Build 240". They have deployed it finally Now, once it installs I'll be able to discern if it is still a beta or a RC (a Release Candidate, as they rolled out in the past just before the RTM) or the RTM itself.

PS - Yeah, this is a kinda RC. http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...nd-slow-rings/

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th July 2015 at 09:57.
Old 16th July 2015, 10:09   #90
Senior - BHPian

Well since you are a (I presume and hope) very good person and a very good friend of mine, did I not conjecture that people who were expecting 10 RTM in their hands could have to wait beyond 15th. They will now have to spend some more sleepless nights. I only do one sleepless night on patch Tuesday every month. Get links, download all updates through FDM. Have to update 5-6 images and so best to download once for both current patching and future reinstalls.

Office 2013 is a joke with more than 1-1.5 GB updates every month. Guess the time for SP2 is past due (it did come in 2013).

Since we were in 1995, today there were a lot of articles about amazon. So now we have three huge breakthroughs for 1995: windows 95, wider www (remember vsnl and giasdnl and hoping for a connection), and amazon/e-commerce.

Last edited by vasudeva : 16th July 2015 at 10:11.

Most Viewed