Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2015, 09:14   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I use it in 8.1 and the clean up process is much faster in 8.1 than in 8. More like 15 mins on a SSD with first built system in 8.1 compared with 2+ hours on 8. Plus I also use Wise Disk Portable free to really clean up. On a built up windows system, I get 3 GB more. Not that I need it buy why not. So far in 8-10 months, Wise Disk has not created any problems for me. I use it only for windows update cleanup. Ccleaner is not so great anymore.

Yes, KB updates are installed auto unless you specify (like in older OS). I choose check, then note down/download, and then do it over the next 1-2 days. MS patches have become more frequent and if you have been on 8.1, so many re-releases, eg for 3035583, 2976978. These 2 are related to 8.1 to 10 so aybe getting updated after each 10 build. Plus, even flash is now sometimes seeing 3-4 updates in a month. Even long released updates are being refreshed. Not to even say much of office 2013 which gets >1GB updates every month. To avoid bloating my system, I just uninstall office 2013 every month. Then download the updates, extract x-none files, overwrite those files to all previous updates, then integrate in office 2013 and install. Takes 10-15 mins for integration and install.

So far my experience with patch tues is that each month's updates for win 8.1+ office 2013 (both x64) costs just 100-200 MB, after doing dism cleanup (as admin cmd) and using WDC.
Gosh man, you sure do have patience to do all this

I let my PCs download straight from the 'net and install, running DISM every couple of months to clean up the WinSXS folder. I also reinstall the OS on my main PC (i.e. victim of my experiments ) every 6 months or so but not with the others. They run the same copy for years on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Upgrading from Win8.1 is not compulsory. You will continue to get support and updates till EOL on 1/10/2023. That's in DD/MM/YYYY.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/...ilter=FilterNO
In the page referred to above MS has botched up - dates in the life cycle start date column are in DDMMYYY and the one in the comments section is in MMDDYYYY. Support for W8.1 ends in Jan 2023

Here's another page that spells it out in words:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

PS - Today, W10 b10240 downloaded the 2nd set of security updates since its release. Huh?! Already?!

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th July 2015 at 09:17.
Old 18th July 2015, 09:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Still win 10 right off will be a lot disk consuming. My 8.1 base image (with only net 3.5+4.5+all updates+nvidia driver only) ends up at around 15.8 GB as of now. At RTM, 8.1 was around 14 GB. I think 10 will also start at 13-14GB of space after cleaning up.

Each month, recovering thru acronis, installing updates and office, and backing up 3 times takes around 45-60 mins. Guess you can call it cleaning up the system (just like a car) time.

Dism cleanup does work but to not full extent. Reclaiming more space does require a clean install of windows and office every quarter. The cost of that (2-3 hrs for full system) must be weighed against gaining 1 GB of disk space and getting a cleaner system.
To give a personal example. I have 2 acronis images. One built in march 2015 with office 2013 and all same software. Updated till July. Disk space used 30.7 GB. Same stuff built in June and updated till July, disk space 29.7 GB. Images are 1 GB less. Multiply with 6-7 images across 4-5 places and it is 50 GB less.

Last edited by vasudeva : 18th July 2015 at 09:38.
Old 18th July 2015, 09:51   #108
BHPian

Quote:
I read that MS has supposedly changed their policy towards updates in windows 10. Previously, those upgrading from Home, etc editions were supposed to be automatically updated when released. Now, this policy has been extended to Pro editions (think windows 8.1 Pro). Earlier it was stated as not. No way to disable automatic updates or download once and install across systems. Only enterprise customers can choose when to install/download updates.

Do you know the status.
That's not true. You can have windows 10 upgrade for Windows 8.1 as well as 8.1 PRO. MS is not restricting it to PRO only. The only thing is you need to reserve your windows 10 upgrade in both the versions with the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ows-10-upgrade.

Also, IMO there is no way to disable automatic updates or download once and install across systems. You'll have to do it manually across all your PCs.
Its all about reserving your windows 10 upgrade for each PC.
Old 18th July 2015, 09:53   #109
BANNED

Now MS commits to a 10 year maintenance lifecycle for Windows 10.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...tag=TREc64629f
Old 18th July 2015, 09:55   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta1.6 View Post
That's not true. You can have windows 10 upgrade for Windows 8.1 as well as 8.1 PRO. MS is not restricting it to PRO only. The only thing is you need to reserve your windows 10 upgrade in both the versions with the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ows-10-upgrade.

Also, IMO there is no way to disable automatic updates or download once and install across systems. You'll have to do it manually across all your PCs.
Its all about reserving your windows 10 upgrade for each PC.
I do it manually anyway through script. Just download once. I know 8.1 is eligible for 10, but 8.1 gets the basic edition and 8.1 Pro gets 10 Pro. I have 8.1 Pro. I do not feel the need to reserve. Just will get the ISO when ready and do it. Do not depend at all on store or windows net download except for the one time download. Why waste bandwidth in a 4th class internet country like India.
Old 18th July 2015, 11:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To give a personal example. I have 2 acronis images. One built in march 2015 with office 2013 and all same software. Updated till July. Disk space used 30.7 GB. Same stuff built in June and updated till July, disk space 29.7 GB. Images are 1 GB less. Multiply with 6-7 images across 4-5 places and it is 50 GB less.
My registry and other OS hacks generally cause the OS much distress and result in BSODs every now and then.

So, one of the main reasons I reinstall is to get the OS back to its 'original specs and performance' and obviously to trim any flab that may have accumulated over the months.

But seriously i.e. no kidding here coz I am puzzled. I need to ask you this -

a) Are you short of SSD/HDD/storage space that you're trying to recover every GB back from the OS?
b) Are you on a slow internet connection?

Slight OS bloat over successive versions and their resultant updates is a given. But in this era of multi terabyte drives or SSDs with 100s of GB in capacity is it really necessary to go thru all this? Don't get me wrong - we all do what we deem right for our own situation(s) - but it does make me wonder.
Old 18th July 2015, 14:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
M

a) Are you short of SSD/HDD/storage space that you're trying to recover every GB back from the OS?
b) Are you on a slow internet connection?

Slight OS bloat over successive versions and their resultant updates is a given. But in this era of multi terabyte drives or SSDs with 100s of GB in capacity is it really necessary to go thru all this? Don't get me wrong - we all do what we deem right for our own situation(s) - but it does make me wonder.
No to both. Have SSD and 18TB of disk space so you are justified in thinking me nuts. Yet just a matter of preference of keeping it >90% bloat free, nothing else. Pls forgive my eccentricities and quirks. You are right, saving 50GB costs me 6-7 hours, but then I like it. That being said, there was a time in 2009-10 when a complete reinstall every fortnight was a given. At least now it is2-4 months. So that is progress.

Your opinion is important to me and OT, I have still not got around to as of yet buying (a) a new core i7-5... system or (b) 70-200 Canon lens. Remember we discussed that a lot some time back. My core i7.3930K is good enough for me, and for the Canon, 85 mm 1.8 is superb.

Last edited by vasudeva : 18th July 2015 at 14:49.
Old 18th July 2015, 19:23   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pls forgive my eccentricities and quirks. You are right, saving 50GB costs me 6-7 hours, but then I like it. That being said, there was a time in 2009-10 when a complete reinstall every fortnight was a given. At least now it is2-4 months. So that is progress..
Hey, no worries vasudeva, We all have our own 'passions' as I do with the registry and other hacks though I admit it has waned over time compared to what it was in the 90s.

I have normally done a fresh install every few months with Win 9x, about 6-7 months with the NT variants starting with Windows NT 3.x and extending it to years with some of my machines. My main desktop gets a clean install every 6 months coz it bears the brunt of my experiments.

Quote:
Your opinion is important to me and OT, I have still not got around to as of yet buying (a) a new core i7-5... system or (b) 70-200 Canon lens. Remember we discussed that a lot some time back. My core i7.3930K is good enough for me, and for the Canon, 85 mm 1.8 is superb.
Thanks man. I too have stuck to the same configuration on my 2 home desktop PCs as we had discussed over the phone I think back in mid 2013, Wow! 2 years have passed since then! My Core i7 3930K and 3970x CPUs provide plenty of grunt so I have found no reason to upgrade the CPU or Mobo. The SSD got an upgrade and I am now running a Samsung 850 Pro on my main desktop while the other has a Corsair 240 GTX. The laptop has obviously not changed at all, still as it came from the factory, though I suspect it may need a new Li ion battery sometime this year or next.

Now coming to lenses - oh dear...my lens collection grew and grew and has finally plateaued. GAS (gear acquisition syndrome, in photography jargon) struck hard and has luckily waned big time.

The 85 1.8 is a great portrait lens. BTW, there are guys selling 70-200 2.8 IS II in Delhi and other areas. You'll save quite a bit off a new lens. Just make sure to check them properly. Visit the JJ Mehta forum if you are interested. Need any help in locating this or other lens in NCR? Let me know
Old 18th July 2015, 22:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 85 1.8 is a great portrait lens. BTW, there are guys selling 70-200 2.8 IS II in Delhi and other areas. You'll save quite a bit off a new lens. Just make sure to check them properly. Visit the JJ Mehta forum if you are interested. Need any help in locating this or other lens in NCR? Let me know
No money for now but will bug you when willing, and also when I plan to get perhaps a X99 system maybe later in the year.
Old 18th July 2015, 23:01   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No money for now but will bug you when willing, and also when I plan to get perhaps a X99 system maybe later in the year.
Sure.

I was thinking of a X99 with the Ci7 5960x but decided to hold off because I am not sure about Intel's commitment to socket LGA 2011 V3 and it IS a large sum of money to upgrade every component including the CPU, motherboard & DDR4 memory i.e. everything except the storage and display adapter. Will give it a year or so before deciding.
Old 18th July 2015, 23:45   #116
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the last few posts have nothing to do with Win10... back to the topic please.
Old 19th July 2015, 08:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Extremely sorry and I am the culprit as can be seen.
Old 20th July 2015, 09:54   #118
BHPian

What are the upgrade terms for the systems come with preloaded OEM Windows 8.1?

Microsoft saying the upgrade is 'completly' free for the OEM Windows devices but at the same they also say that the upgrade is free only for first year.

I have reserved the upgrade for my Laptop but still confused if it will be free for lifetime or only for one year?
Old 20th July 2015, 10:11   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

Microsoft saying the upgrade is 'completly' free for the OEM Windows devices but at the same they also say that the upgrade is free only for first year.

I have reserved the upgrade for my Laptop but still confused if it will be free for lifetime or only for one year?
It does say full version of windows 10 not trial.

Name:  Screenshot 20150720 10.09.36.png
Views: 287
Size:  100.8 KB
Old 20th July 2015, 10:26   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

To get it for free, you should upgrade it within the first year of Windows 10's release, i.e. by July 28th 2016 (Windows 10 launches on July 29th 2015).

If you try to upgrade to Windows 10 after July 28th 2016, Microsoft may charge you.

The Windows 10 license will be free on your device(laptop) until the device is functioning, and Microsoft will continue to support it with updates for a minimum of 10 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks