Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 16:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You don't need to enter any serial key when you do an in-place upgrade. Your first install of Win10 MUST be an in-place upgrade. Do not boot from the ISO, wipe/format the disk and install. It will NOT activate.

The setup program verifies your Windows' is genuine and correctly activated. Your hardware hash/keys will be stored on MS' servers and you are free to do any number of clean installs thereafter provided you don't change major hardware components like the motherboard. If you do, call up the MS call centre for an activation code.
Thanks, can i update through the downloaded files from the ms website ? i mean upgrading the existing windows 7 OS not formating the disk and installing ? or i have to wait for ms to initiate the installed automatically ?

I have done this in past when i purchased windows 8 upgrade from windows 7, first time it got installed. Then i formatted the pen drive. When after a year or so i have format the system again i could not find any place on the ms site to download windows 8 installer
Old 29th July 2015, 16:18   #152
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the update from the ISO will be akin to installing any other application. Similar to how the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 was offered.

That said, the wuauclt.exe/updatenow worked for me. The updates are downloading on my home system while I am sitting in my workplace.

Connected via TeamViewer through the phone and started the update!
Old 29th July 2015, 16:33   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Thanks, can i update through the downloaded files from the ms website ? i mean upgrading the existing windows 7 OS not formating the disk and installing ? or i have to wait for ms to initiate the installed automatically ?
Do not start the setup by double clicking on setup.exe in the hidden folder. You will get an error about a boot.wim file. There are also reports it deletes the entire download and you need to start all over again. This automatic method needs to be activated by MS which begins the upgrade.

As I said below - if you want to install it yourself, download the ISO and start.
Old 29th July 2015, 16:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Got an error 80240020 while installing the update after downloading around 6.3GB. After wuauclt.exe/updatenow, post download, looks like Windows Update tries to install the update automatically.

You can go to Control Panel -> Windows Update to check the status of update.

As for the error, followed https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/com...ng_to_install/

And deleted everything from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

And again run wuauclt.exe/updatenow from CMD. Will re-download the entire 6.3GB again.

Hope it works!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 29th July 2015 at 17:01.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:08   #155
Senior - BHPian

For some time today (or even earlier), MS was giving direct ISOs (download links valid for 24 hours). It was at this site

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...d/windows10iso

Now it redirects to media creation toolkit.

Anyway, I saved the links which should be valid for 21 hours now:
These are for en-US (nothing pirated and only from Microsoft). Be sure to check SHA1 hash from MSDN. Use download manager such as FDM or IDM.

Pro & Home x64
http://software-download.microsoft.c...bfdb128a16317e

http://software-download.microsoft.c...c721282c75028a

Pro and Home x86:
http://software-download.microsoft.c...cfa3a39aac1f90

These links may expire around 11AM tomorrow but as of now, they are fast and I downloaded the pro x64 at my full 8 mbps speed.

If you want the ESD file which can be converted to ISO easily, here is the link (just choose your language and architecture)

http://ms-vnext.net/Win10esds/urls/

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th July 2015 at 17:15.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:09   #156
BHPian

The said folder is appearing on my system, but on 6 GB in total. Not in a hurry, so will probably wait for MS to start the update automatically.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 29th July 2015, 17:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Do not start the setup by double clicking on setup.exe in the hidden folder. You will get an error about a boot.wim file. There are also reports it deletes the entire download and you need to start all over again. This automatic method needs to be activated by MS which begins the upgrade.

As I said below - if you want to install it yourself, download the ISO and start.
Thanks again mate, i did that already and just booted on windows 10. It a nice change from traditional windows installations. all my settings including wallpaper is intact. so far looking good with flat design.

Edit: There was no error in the installation.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:23   #158
Team-BHP Support

My attempt to download failed several times in both Chrome and IE, so I gave up. Then I logged into our CoLo in NJ and tried to download. The 3.7GB file downloaded in just 2 minutes from MSDN.

I was a bit stunned, so ran the speed test...

The Windows 10 Thread!-chrome-legacy-window-29072015-171913.bmp.jpg

Now I have to get it to India over the VPN... hopefully this won't break.
Old 29th July 2015, 18:15   #159
BHPian

I was using the insider preview program and last night it upgraded to the production built 10240 which I am assuming is the production writeoff too. MS has indeed done a great job with Win 10, this indeed will be the game changer !
Old 29th July 2015, 19:19   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I saved the links which should be valid for 21 hours now:
These are for en-US (nothing pirated and only from Microsoft). Be sure to check SHA1 hash from MSDN. Use download manager such as FDM or IDM.
I did made an ISO image and tried to install but it asks key for wondows 10 - any pointers on how to take this further ? trying to upgrade from 8.1
Old 29th July 2015, 19:22   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now I have to get it to India over the VPN... hopefully this won't break.
Copying over VPN worked fine, downloaded in 1.5 hours. Now for the upgrade.
Old 29th July 2015, 19:23   #162
Senior - BHPian

So, I download Windows 10 Pro on a USB drive with Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationToolx64.exe).

And installed Win 10 on my laptop (from within Win 8.1) and it got installed smoothly. It shows Win 10 activated.

Loving the new look and trying to explore the changes.

Will install Win 10 on my desktop and HTPC in a day or two.
Old 29th July 2015, 19:33   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I did made an ISO image and tried to install but it asks key for wondows 10 - any pointers on how to take this further ? trying to upgrade from 8.1
I assume you're doing an in-place upgrade. If yes, it shouldn't ask you for a key, even if it does, just skip the key entry screen. The 'Skip" or "do this later" link should be near the bottom of the screen.

Once you have installed W10 for the 1st time and it activates you can do a clean install.

I just did a clean install on my PC - holy moly. Issues that I faced with the so called preview builds haven't been sorted out yet. Task Scheduler reports tasks that have invalid XMLs. I mean this is build 10240, the very build I and tens of thousands of other Insiders have been playing with for the last 2 weeks. But I am a bit bugged that these issues weren't fixed. Maybe in a future update.
Old 29th July 2015, 19:34   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I assume you're doing an in-place upgrade. If yes, it shouldn't ask you for a key, even if it does, just skip the key entry screen. The 'Skip" or "do this later" link should be near the bottom of the screen.
I made a DVD and tried to install on existing win 8 - but cant go beyond screen where it asks for keys - my win 8 keys are not accepted .. no skip or do it later options available either ..

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th July 2015 at 19:37.
Old 29th July 2015, 19:53   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I made a DVD and tried to install on existing win 8 - but cant go beyond screen where it asks for keys - my win 8 keys are not accepted .. no skip or do it later options available either ..
Can you upload a screen shot of what you see? Win 7/8 keys will NOT be accepted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks