Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 20:18   #166
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I made a DVD and tried to install on existing win 8 - but cant go beyond screen where it asks for keys - my win 8 keys are not accepted .. no skip or do it later options available either ..
Whats happens when you try to do a direct upgrade from your Win 8 via Internet ? Did you register for the update ?

Alternatively, it should also ask you via DVD if it's an upgrade or a fresh install.
Old 29th July 2015, 20:31   #167
BHPian

I had heard that from now on Windows will be offered as service. So will there be any annual subscription if one updates from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after the first year?
Old 29th July 2015, 20:46   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you upload a screen shot of what you see? Win 7/8 keys will NOT be accepted.
Enclosed - cant figure out what am i doing wrong :(

Quote:
Whats happens when you try to do a direct upgrade from your Win 8 via Internet ? Did you register for the update ?
Yes I did registered many weeks ago , looks mine is not qualified for update yet

Alternatively, it should also ask you via DVD if it's an upgrade or a fresh install.

It does not ask or maybe I have not reached there yet

So this is my DVD folder - I click set-up & get following screens before it asks for key
Attached Thumbnails
The Windows 10 Thread!-1.jpg  

The Windows 10 Thread!-2.jpg  

The Windows 10 Thread!-3.jpg  

The Windows 10 Thread!-4.jpg  

Old 29th July 2015, 21:21   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I had heard that from now on Windows will be offered as service. So will there be any annual subscription if one updates from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after the first year?
No there is no charge. The OS is a free upgrade. It is basically MS trying to make up for the cockups with Windows 8/8.1

Quote:
Enclosed - cant figure out what am i doing wrong :(

Yes I did registered many weeks ago , looks mine is not qualified for update yet
Based on my own experience with the W10 upgrade on 3 PCs at home including the one I am typing this post from, I have some questions and please don't take any of them personally I am trying to ascertain the reason why you cannot upgrade.

a) Is your machine running a genuine copy of Windows? If MS detected a pirated key or illegal activation it may ask you for the key. I am NOT saying you are **knowingly** using illegal software, as many people are provided pirated copies by PC dealers in this country. MS takes a soft stance on this BTW and you can get a legal key for a nominal amount of money.

b) Have you downloaded the ISO for the correct version (home/pro) and architecture (x32/x64)? For e.g. a change from home (installed on your PC) to a higher edition i.e. Pro will entail inputting an upgrade key.

c) Where did you get the ISO from? Was it from an internet site or the official MS download site using a MS tool that downloads the files and creates the ISO? Please make sure you download the ISO from the official site.

PS - As an aside, http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...untries-today/ The thing is 10240 WAS the RTM and I have been using it for 2 weeks now, with all its warts and wrinkles. It is not perfect BTW. I found about 15-20 bugs.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th July 2015 at 21:30.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:35   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
c) Where did you get the ISO from? Was it from an internet site or the official MS download site using a MS tool that downloads the files and creates the ISO? Please make sure you download the ISO from the official site.

PS - As an aside, http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...untries-today/ The thing is 10240 WAS the RTM and I have been using it for 2 weeks now, with all its warts and wrinkles. It is not perfect BTW. I found about 15-20 bugs.
I have posted the download links some post earlier.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3765509

I have used that link to download windows 10 en-US Pro and Home x64 and the SHA1 matches with MSDN. I am now cool with that link though even the ESD link in that post is genuine. So there are 2 ways posted to get the ISO (direct ISO and ESD to ISO). The direct ISO links may expire after 12Noonn tomorrow (MS says they are valid for 24 hours) but the ESD should still be on.

AS to activation, you were kind enough to clear my doubts some days back. The gist is
1. I have genuine win 7, 8 and 8.1 key; but no windows 10 key.
2. So on a activated windows 8.1 system, I used the ISO to upgrade first to 10.
3. That led to MS recording my hardware info.
4. Then I tried a clean install of win 10, skipped the key entering part, and windows 10 was activated right off.

The upgrade from 8.1 to 10 was just to register, and I will be doing a final clean install of 10 later. Always better in my opinion.

So if you need an ISO, I can say with near certainty that the link is genuine and will give genuine win 10 iso (pro or home based on base 7/8.1 system).

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th July 2015 at 21:39.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:38   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Based on my own experience with the W10 upgrade on 3 PCs at home including the one I am typing this post from
That's great - so I am in right hands

Quote:
a) Is your machine running a genuine copy of Windows?
Absolutely - I am trying this on my X1 Carbon - 3rd Gen. picked from Lenovo Canada with Windows 8.1 64

Quote:
b) Have you downloaded the ISO for the correct version (home/pro) and architecture (x32/x54)? For e.g. a change from home (installed on your PC) to a higher edition
Sorry for my naive question - how can I check which version I am running ? Maybe this can be a culprit as I am trying to install Pro win 10 .

Quote:
c Where did you get the ISO from? Was it from an internet site or the official MS download site using a MS tool that downloads the files and creates the ISO? Please make sure you download the ISO from the official site
Yes from MS - should I try this link instead or you have some other suggestions

http://software-download.microsoft.c...cfa3a39aac1f90

Thanks for the help
Old 29th July 2015, 21:46   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes from MS - should I try this link instead or you have some other suggestions

http://software-download.microsoft.c...cfa3a39aac1f90

Thanks for the help
For x86 (32bit), see my link which I think matches with the above link. Use a download manager for such big files (FDM or idm). When you have done, do a hash check. Use any hash check utility such as

http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/downl...all-latest.exe

Install this.

When you download complete, right click on iso, and see the icon checksum and calculate the hash. See what is SHA1 and match it with below:

The MSDN SHA1 for Windows 10 (Multiple Editions) (x86) - DVD (English)

is

27A91E1DD7D9C6023D0DA1DBCB16DEFEC5B6C1

Alternatively instead of link, you can download the media creation tool of MS which will lead to the same stuff. In either case, check the SHA1 post download.

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th July 2015 at 21:49.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:59   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for x86 (32bit), see my link which I think matches with the above link
sorry for wrong link , I am running on 64 bit , which one should I use in case i want to use home

Pro & Home x64
http://software-download.microsoft.c...bfdb128a16317e

http://software-download.microsoft.c...c721282c75028a
Old 29th July 2015, 22:14   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the help
Please make sure you download the correct architecture and version of the ISO using the tool that's available at the link below. DO NOT use anything else. This is the tool that gets you the 'real' setup files i.e the files that MS wants you to have. The tool will allow you to select the version and architecture.

If your laptop came with Windows 8.1 **Home** x64, download Windows 10 Home x64. Do not download Windows 10 Pro coz it'll ask for an upgrade key.

On the other hand, if your laptop came with Windows 8.1 Pro, then get Windows 10 Pro.

To check which version and arch you have, check System app in the Control Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Alternatively instead of link, you can download the media creation tool of MS which will lead to the same stuff. In either case, check the SHA1 post download.

Vineet, the download tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Is the one I would strongly recommend using to download and create the ISO. All other links and contents are probably redundant starting today.
Old 29th July 2015, 22:22   #175
BHPian

Turbanator, I have solution for your problem. I don't see an option to PM you. Can you pm me ?
Old 29th July 2015, 23:22   #176
BHPian

For those wondering if the download is happening in the background, you can click on the get windows 10 icon in the notification area. You will get a screen like this if the download is going on and you can also view the progress.

The Windows 10 Thread!-w10_download.png
Old 29th July 2015, 23:37   #177
BHPian

I have the update downloaded in the C drive. The folder is 6.18 gb but i can't see an option to install the update. How to do that on a windows 8.1 machine?
Old 29th July 2015, 23:42   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please make sure you download the correct architecture and version of the ISO using the tool that's available at the link below. DO NOT use anything else. This is the tool that gets you the 'real' setup files i.e the files that MS wants you to have. The tool will allow you to select the version and architecture.
Thanks R2d2 & Vasudeva - Voila - I could do it so the trouble was wrong selection of version - I had win 8 Pro keys so first I upgraded my win 8 - and then could upgrade to win 10 easily

It appears MS has sort of complicated things by way of this auto update - it would have been lot easier if they would have encouraged everyone to download directly

Edit :
Quote:
Turbanator, I have solution for your problem. I don't see an option to PM you. Can you pm me ?
Thanks Atulsian - I could manage

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th July 2015 at 23:43.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:10   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

These MS pages tell you about product activation issues and the reasons:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...ate-windows-10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/950929

PS - MS Windows 10 Pro priced at Rs 15K at the MS India Store

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th July 2015 at 09:14.
Old 30th July 2015, 09:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Vineet, the download tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Is the one I would strongly recommend using to download and create the ISO. All other links and contents are probably redundant starting today.
Sorry for the delay. While you were most probably breaking and reformating your system in the night, I was doing the same thing except in my sleep.

Yes you are right. The ESD link is anyway reduntant except for archival reasons. The toolkit can be used to choose language, edition, and architecture. The direct download links will also expire and I posted them anyway.

As of now, I think it only checks (if at all) for genuine and then lets you create an ISO. That is great and let us hope that MS keeps it that way instead of trying some telemetry/hotmail account sign in stunt. This is usually the case with MS sooner or later. I had to download office 2013 with sp1 and it took some time but did it anyway.

How sure are you about the MS toolkit download not getting interrupted in between and then one is left with an incomplete, useless file. That was my only reason to post the link.

Last edited by vasudeva : 30th July 2015 at 09:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks