Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 07:13   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Manually updated my Alienware 14 to Windows 10 yesterday and I cannot seem to fathom what is the fuss all about. The pinch to zoom gesture in Edge does not work, the twin finger scroll is still choppy. It still does not have the same polish as the Mac Yosemite.
It may be good for tablets (but I will not know since mine is a laptop) but I am struggling to see the value add over Windows 8.1 in this version.
Old 31st July 2015, 07:37   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It may be good for tablets (but I will not know since mine is a laptop) but I am struggling to see the value add over Windows 8.1 in this version.
The value over 8.1,
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Peek at some of the "new" features (or fixes)
  • Start menu is back
  • Everything runs in a window - both metro apps & desktops have same look & feel
  • Support for multiple desktops
Quote:
Manually updated my Alienware 14 to Windows 10 yesterday and I cannot seem to fathom what is the fuss all about.
Well the fuss is, this might be last Windows OS release. In future, there might be just upgrades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes Windows defender is up and running. But would like to have the Kaspersky back into action ASAP

Regards
I haven't tried this Win10. This is based on my Win7 experience but I guess it holds good for Win10. You can't run 2 anti-virus together. But if you want to use both Defender and Kaspersky, you can must disable real-time protection in one of them. Then you can use both.
Old 31st July 2015, 08:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The value over 8.1,
As I said for a laptop user I hardly see any value. I was okay with the absence of start menu since I searched for the program I wanted to run anyway in Windows 8.1 days.

I can't still fathom why is it so difficult to provide pinch to zoon functionality in the browser. If it can work for in a tablet why not a laptop since the touch pad is a multi touch surface.

Quote:
Well the fuss is, this might be last Windows OS release. In future, there might be just upgrades.
Technically speaking, any update to an OS can be taken as upgrade. If by upgrade you mean the look and feel, I feel a lot needs to be done. They may even do it in the future but as of now I am not impressed.
Old 31st July 2015, 09:08   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I can't still fathom why is it so difficult to provide pinch to zoon functionality in the browser. If it can work for in a tablet why not a laptop since the touch pad is a multi touch surface.
I have pinch to zoom on my laptop running OEM 8.1. It looks more of an laptop hardware-driver thing than Windows.
Old 31st July 2015, 09:29   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I have pinch to zoom on my laptop running OEM 8.1. It looks more of an laptop hardware-driver thing than Windows.
I am talking more about the implementation. So if I pinch to zoom when in any browser (Chrome or Edge or IE) it increases the size in default increments like 100%, 125%, 150% and so on. It not smooth and continuous like you have it on your mobile phone these days. The Mac has the exact same implementation as it is on iPhone.
Old 31st July 2015, 09:34   #216
BHPian

Earlier Windows 10 update icon disappeared from my laptop taskbar but today it came back and showing different kind of message which confirms that Microsoft is aware of the the issues faced by some users after the upgrade and working on fixing it. Mostly those issues are driver related, especially the nVidia graphics.

The Windows 10 Thread!-win10.jpg

Last edited by tbppjpr : 31st July 2015 at 09:35.
Old 31st July 2015, 10:56   #217
BANNED

I have run into a major problem. I am unable to update for over two weeks, with an error 80072F8F. I have run the standard tools, with no luck, and have now posted the cbs.txt file from Diagnostics to MS Tech support. Any suggestions?

I have managed to get the Serial Nos of my Flex2 Win 8.1 using produkey64 and also another tool. They match, so hopefully the numbers are correct.

Last edited by sgiitk : 31st July 2015 at 10:57.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:10   #218
Senior - BHPian

Finally upgraded my Dell XPS to Windows 10 Pro.

It was a smooth sail without any hiccup.

I bought the PC back in mid 2012 with Windows 7 Ultimate. On January 2013 I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro when the offer was running. The same month I got Windows Media Center free from Microsoft. Last year got upgraded again to Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center and then later to Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Media Center.

Even though I had reserved for Windows 10 Pro more than a month back, I went for ISO method.

Windows update downloaded more than 6GB of data into C Drive hidden folder. I deleted the entire folder and created a System image of my existing Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Media Center.

I downloaded x64 Windows 10 Pro from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Then I created a Bootable USB Installer (for future use) using this tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

After that opened the Bootable USB and launch the setup. Selected the Upgrade option. It warned that I will miss the Media Center. Confirmed and upgraded. No serial keys entered at any point of the upgrade.

The Windows 10 Thread!-w10-upg.jpg

Nvidia GT 530 crashed after upgrade and Windows update started downloading the driver. I cancelled it and downloaded the driver 353.62 directly from Nvidia website. Clean installed the driver and restarted.

After upgrade PC is working butter smooth.

For the cost of Windows Media Center I got a free Windows DVD Player.

The Windows 10 Thread!-w10fin.png

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 31st July 2015 at 12:19.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:20   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Yes. I have rarely relied on windows update for drivers.
Neither have I. But with Windows 1 one could still download the drivers from the respective vendor's website and install. Windows 10's method of delivering updates via WUP doesn't preclude manual installation. MS Has also released a tool to block updates after an uproar with buggy Nvidia drivers.

PS - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Today I will be updating my Dell laptop. It was a smooth upgrade experience from W8.1 Pro to the insider builds. Now for the real RTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes Windows defender is up and running. But would like to have the Kaspersky back into action ASAP
Guys, KIS 2015 is incompatible with Windows 10. You must uninstall it before the upgrade or the setup program will disable it for you. Once upgraded to W10, uninstall the program and install KIS 2016 from here:

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/

Currently the new 2016 versions are only available at their US site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have run into a major problem. I am unable to update for over two weeks, with an error 80072F8F. I have run the standard tools, with no luck, and have now posted the cbs.txt file from Diagnostics to MS Tech support. Any suggestions?

I have managed to get the Serial Nos of my Flex2 Win 8.1 using produkey64 and also another tool. They match, so hopefully the numbers are correct.
Are you referring to obtaining security updates from Windows Update for Win8.1?

If yes, check the PC clock and get it synched with an NTP server. More details here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...#1TC=windows-7

Once done, make sure you are online & in an Administrator command prompt run:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Once this finishes, reboot the PC and run the following in an admin prompt:

sfc /scannow

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st July 2015 at 12:23.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:28   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Neither have I. But with Windows 1 one could still download the drivers from the respective vendor's website and install. Windows 10's method of delivering updates via WUP doesn't preclude manual installation. MS Has also released a tool to block updates after an uproar with buggy Nvidia drivers.

PS - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
Yes that is true but if I have the latest on local disk, why waste bandwidth.
This tool to hide driver updates is also attracting comments, which I have not checked. The gist is that you have to get stung first with the drivers, then uninstall, then use the tool to hide the update. Something of that sort.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:29   #221
Senior - BHPian

I am also running on Win10 since 29th night. It was pretty smooth installation for me. I was running Win7 home on my 6 year old Lenovo G450 earlier.

I also fail to get the hype around Win10! Nothing really out of ordinary about it so far. Edge is fast but I feel still not in Chrome class. And it has crashed couple of times in last 2 days!

Not so much impressed with Microsoft really.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:39   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys, just get the ISO (link provided in one of my earlier posts) and start the upgrade manually. You don't need to wait any longer than you want to.
The setup files are being downloaded now. Hopefully I can install it today!
Old 31st July 2015, 12:45   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I also fail to get the hype around Win10! Nothing really out of ordinary about it so far. Edge is fast but I feel still not in Chrome class. And it has crashed couple of times in last 2 days!

Same here. However, if one has to use Windows, this is the only way to keep up. I think the start menu is a rotten mix of 7 and 8.1. I liked the start menu of 8.1 over 7 but now it seems I will have to get used to this 10 contraption too. Also, cannot properly see the green colour on copying/pasting. Plus, have you tried seeing which icon on taskbar is open. There is a line below. I am still on office 2010 because office 2013 has this vague white interface.

Win 7 has had no SP since Feb 2011, and I am not sure if MS will devote resources there. Just critical updates.Win 8.1 could suffer the same fate as 7 now. Win 8 is end of support in Jan 2016.

The point is that MS could justifiably argue that since they are giving win 10 free to genuine 7/8.1, why should be add to 7/8.1 except through security updates.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:47   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I am also running on Win10 since 29th night. It was pretty smooth installation for me. I was running Win7 home on my 6 year old Lenovo G450 earlier.

If you did an in place upgrade, you have 1 month to roll back to Windows 7 after which the OS backup "Windows.old" will probably be deleted.

Any OS runs best when it has been installed afresh without any of the detritus that accompanies an upgrade. Now that you installed it over Windows 7, you can do a clean install whenever convenient to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Yes that is true but if I have the latest on local disk, why waste bandwidth. This tool to hide driver updates is also attracting comments, which I have not checked. The gist is that you have to get stung first with the drivers, then uninstall, then use the tool to hide the update. Something of that sort.
BTW it was Nvidia that messed up with the driver package not MS. The install failed twice on my PC and then finally it completed.

Well, I am on an unlimited data plan so I really don't care how much it downloads per month as long as it doesn't screw up the OS. I am still a part of the Insider program and will opt out if updates start getting dicey. Plus one could defer updates as well in Windows 10 Pro, unfortunately W10 Home does not offer that option.

But looking at it logically one ran the same risk with previous versions of Windows. There were always chances that some update or the other would make the OS unstable or fail to install. If it gets dicey, uninstall the update or roll back the driver.

PS - Windows 10 is not a must have OS at this time. But eventually one will have to upgrade as older OSes will not be supported. And then there's that deadline of 1 year till 28/7/16.

I find it running much smoother and better/faster on all my PCs. So no regrets about the upgrade so far.

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st July 2015 at 12:51.
Old 31st July 2015, 12:48   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
can anyone point out bow to manually update the preinstalled OEM versions? Is it possible to perform a clean install on OEM systems without need of getting new license?
You need to initiate the upgrade from the existing version, and once loaded, it allows 3 options:
1. Retain existing settings and files
2. Retain existing files
3. Clean install

You can pickup the 3rd option where all the apps and files are moved and fresh install is done. This is required for you to activate it the first time.

Most Viewed