Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 10:59   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Struggling to install Asus Xonar D2X audio driver on PC. Windows 8.1 drivers are not working on 10, its saying platform is not supported. All resulting in generic audio, not able make my 5.1 setup work properly like how it used to work in 8.1..
I use an Asus Xonar STX PCI-E sound card and I got around the problem by editing the setup configuration file - CmSetx.dll. Yes it has a DLL extension but is actually a text file.

Set the "SupportOS" value to "donotcare"

i.e. SupportOS=donotcare

Your drivers will install
Old 1st August 2015, 11:46   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I use an Asus Xonar STX PCI-E sound card and I got around the problem by editing the setup configuration file - CmSetx.dll. Yes it has a DLL extension but is actually a text file.

Set the "SupportOS" value to "donotcare"

i.e. SupportOS=donotcare

Your drivers will install
Thanks for that trick, will try it later.

Right now managed to install UNi Xonar 1816/1822 v1.75a r2 C-Media control panel for Xonar which is working fine with all the features.
Old 1st August 2015, 14:28   #243
J.Ravi

I too jumped into the Windows 10 bandwagon by accepting the invitation and getting my Lenovo laptop's OS updated to the latest Windows 10. Before the update, I was not able to send the files from my smartphone to laptop via Bluetooth due to some software bug developed recently. Earlier, I used to send all the photographs via Bluetooth only. I had tried all the bug-fixing only to see the notification stating that the device was working properly. My son too tried his best, but in vain. Now, after updating to Windows 10, that unknown bug got eliminated totally! I successfully tested by sending a few photographs and my laptop accepted them graciously as it used to do earlier.

The Windows 10 Thread!-img_20150801_135635.jpg

Old 1st August 2015, 17:02   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm one of the few who haven't upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 nor I intend to for a few more months, most straightforward reason being that if something isn't broke, I believe there isn't a reason to fix it. I've also always worked on Windows and according to me none of their OSes are completely stable until SP1 or at the very least after 6-8 months of patching & bug fixing.

I would like to eventually upgrade though not this year. I also found that P2P patching & updates are going to be the norm in Windows 10 which sounds a bit out of line to me, the best part about Windows was the control it gave the end user, we could define what to download and what not and updating was purely a choice. Now not only will updating become automatic, there will also be P2P sharing unless specified in some deeply hidden setting. I never liked Android for the lack of control and now Windows is heading into that dark tunnel.

Microsoft has to earn the trust back for the failures of Vista/8/8.1 (none of which I used luckily). I do feel 7, XP & 98 were the best of the best in their era with the 7 still being the best as of now in terms of control.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st August 2015 at 17:03.
Old 1st August 2015, 17:34   #245
Senior - BHPian

Turns out all the fancy and useful touchpad gestures require a precision touchpad to work and even my supposedly uber highend Alienware 14 laptop does not come with one! Appalling!
Old 1st August 2015, 17:53   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've also always worked on Windows and according to me none of their OSes are completely stable until SP1 or at the very least after 6-8 months of patching & bug fixing.

I never liked Android for the lack of control and now Windows is heading into that dark tunnel.
There will be no SP1 or the type and kind of updates we as Windows users were dished out with previous OSes. Updates & fixes will be rolled out at regular intervals. Rumoured is a large update containing a bunch of features and other updates due between August and November this year, including Cortana the voice based assistant.

Windows 10 will be an evolving OS being updated/upgraded/patched on on ongoing basis. If your PC hardware does not meet requirements for a future update it will warn you. At least this is how MS has envisioned it.

If you have the pro version you can choose do defer updates by a few months roughly speaking 2-4 months. This way any issues will be ironed out by the time they are delivered to your PC.

Android and lack of control? Surely you meant IOS. Apple treats it's customers in a "We know what's best for you" manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I successfully tested by sending a few photographs and my laptop accepted them graciously as it used to do earlier.
The installer probably reinstalled a valid driver hence the success.
Old 1st August 2015, 18:58   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, one of the best "features" of Windows 10 is the ability to provide feedback directly to MS. What a change this is. Up until now Windows & other software were built without really bothering about customer feedback.

Search in your start menu for the app. You will need to sign into a MS account.
Old 1st August 2015, 19:03   #248
Senior - BHPian

ISO links are active again. These are the MSDN iso with multiple editions (pro/home) and does not include enterprise. Once you start download, link is valid for 24 hours and then it stops download.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

Even with this, mediacreation remains the best. If you do not want multiple editions in one iso, mediacreation kit is better as it gives a lower file size, simple because only 1 edition is included.
Old 1st August 2015, 19:49   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Android and lack of control? Surely you meant IOS. Apple treats it's customers in a "We know what's best for you" manner. .
+1 Indeed, personally I'll take Android over IOS all day long because its customisable, flexible and easy for the everyday user to play music/videos of all formats. However by saying lack of control I wish that Android was so much more, like the ability to pin any program to the status bar, an in-built file manager with root-like ability (should delete any file). Random programs also should not be allowed to hog the ram all the time unless truly in use.

Then there is so much more left for wishing like direct popups in home-screen when it comes to messages/missed-calls which can be one tap accessed instead of pulling the current obnoxious status bar. I also wish all the essential system programs are compiled and hidden away from the apps section to clear the confusion on what can and cannot be disabled. I'd say the old Nokias with their Symbian had it spot on in terms of control, much like Windows. Android while much better than IOS, isn't all that yet.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st August 2015 at 19:52.
Old 1st August 2015, 20:24   #250
J.Ravi

Quote:
The installer probably reinstalled a valid driver hence the success.
Thanks a lot for the kind information, R2D2.

Old 1st August 2015, 20:25   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
However by saying lack of control I wish that Android was so much more, like the ability to pin any program to the status bar, an in-built file manager with root-like ability (should delete any file). Random programs also should not be allowed to hog the ram all the time unless truly in use.

Not sure what phone you use, but if it's a new model android (introduced in the past 1-3 years) do consider using a custom ROM from Cyanogenmod or other developers. Look up on XDA Developers for more information. I won't say more on this thread as the Mod will show me the OT card
Old 1st August 2015, 21:04   #252
BANNED

Win 8.1 Single Language updates to Win10 Home or Pro. Two different threads indicate differently!
Old 1st August 2015, 21:08   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
ISO links are active again. These are the MSDN iso with multiple editions (pro/home) and does not include enterprise. Once you start download, link is valid for 24 hours and then it stops download.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

Even with this, mediacreation remains the best. If you do not want multiple editions in one iso, mediacreation kit is better as it gives a lower file size, simple because only 1 edition is included.
This also lists Win10 Single Language, I have not seen that option elsewhere!
Old 1st August 2015, 21:59   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Win 8.1 Single Language updates to Win10 Home or Pro. Two different threads indicate differently!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This also lists Win10 Single Language, I have not seen that option elsewhere!

sgiitk, single language is a OS 'package' with an option to load only 1 language, it is generally OEM. To confirm which version you are running (i.e. Home or Pro) right click on the My PC icon on the desktop and choose "Properties"

It will show you a screen with basic information on your Windows edition/version (Home or Pro) architecture (x32 or x64) and of the hardware.

You need to download Windows 10 Pro IF you are running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 or Windows 10 Home Edition if you are running Windows 8 Home x64.

Vasudeva has shared links for enterprise version which is not applicable to individuals.

As far as the language is concerned you can download either en_US or en_UK. I use the latter.

PS - Please use the tool here = https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

PPS - Please follow instructions given on the MS page. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=617364

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st August 2015 at 22:09.
Old 1st August 2015, 22:21   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to download Windows 10 Pro IF you are running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 or Windows 10 Home Edition if you are running Windows 8 Home x64.

Vasudeva has shared links for enterprise version which is not applicable to individuals.
I checked again as it was quite possible that the link was for enterprise.

But if you read through, it says:

``Select edition

Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional.''

The selection is for 10 (which is Home and Pro), 10KN, 10N, and 10 Single Language. Here in India, people should choose 10 or single language, as hardly anyone (without Technet/MSDN) would have a N key.

I would still say that mediacreation is the easiest as the links do not go dead and file sizes are somewhat smaller. In fact, I used it to download win 10N x64 which was 2.95GB. I used the link above to download win 10 x64 of 3.80GB. So that gives me the iso for which I have keys (8.1/7).

One query which I have which may not be useful: I have already done upgrade from 8.1/clean installed. So my 8.1 to 10 hardware is now on MS servers. Does it make sense to do a 7 to 10 and get this path also on MS servers. That would force me to install 7, upgrade to 10. Easy waste of 40-45 mins. I think this might be reduntant as it is hardware that is recorded.

Last edited by vasudeva : 1st August 2015 at 22:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks