Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 22:28   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I checked again as it was quite possible that the link was for enterprise.
Yes it is for a particular purpose, a tech bench probably for in house testing by corporates before they deploy either using volume keys or MSDN keys. Not sure exactly and I don't want to download GBs of data to find out.

For retail customers its best to use the link which downloads the media creation tool and helps create the ISO or burn the image to a USB pen drive. It'll work best for nearly all retail users.

PS - this Tech Bench bit is possibly for retail stores & technical help personnel. The hint is here: "Printed copies of all paperwork that must be given to user in connection with the upgrade including the End User License Agreement, the Privacy Statement and the Windows 10 Upgrade Program User Guide for New PCs which documents the changes made to the PC during the upgrade."

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st August 2015 at 22:32.
Old 1st August 2015, 22:37   #257
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I would say this has been one of the nicest OS ever from MS and I am in love with the interface. This has livened up my 5 year old laptop. Running flawlessly for two days now. Almost every application has been seamlessly migrated and no crashing or hanging till now.
A special mention on the Edge browser. I find Edge much faster and modern than the Chrome browser which was giving me a hard time.

Last edited by poloman : 1st August 2015 at 22:39.
Old 1st August 2015, 23:40   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been a long time user of Start 8 the start menu replacement for Windows 8/8.1 Since then Stardock have released a beta version of Start10 for, you guessed it, Windows 10. Gives me the best of both worlds, I can shift from Win7 all the way through to Win10 style start menus.

Just purchased 3 copies for each of my machines.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
A special mention on the Edge browser. I find Edge much faster and modern than the Chrome browser which was giving me a hard time.
Edge is definitely much faster than IE1, sadly it doesn't support add ons.

So it's back to IE11 and Firefox for me.
Old 1st August 2015, 23:52   #259
BHPian

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 (after upgrading from 8.1 pro).
I noticed that my even log is continuously getting this message? Any pointes to fix it?
I googled it but couldn't fix it.

The Windows 10 Thread!-capture.png
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:17   #260
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Wondering what is the best way to install Windows 10? Is it upgrade, which is what I have done from 8.1, or do a clean install?

I am wondering if I should format everything and go for a clean install?
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:25   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Is it upgrade, which is what I have done from 8.1, or do a clean install? I am wondering if I should format everything and go for a clean install?
Don't format and clean install, since you don't have a Windows 10 key. Instead, follow this 2-step procedure:
  1. Firstly, perform an in-place upgrade 8.1 to Windows 10. That'll register your PC as a Windows 10 PC with Microsoft's activation servers. Confirm your PC with Windows 10 is activated.
  2. Then you can do a clean install of Windows 10 if you wish. When prompted for a license key during this setup, keep hitting Skip until the installation proceeds. Once you've installed Windows 10 cleanly, restart it, and verify that it has been activated. Activation will occur automatically and transparently since your PC is now recognized by Microsoft's activation servers as registered for Windows 10.

There's no clear answer to your question of whether an upgrade or clean install is better. If you have a tendency for your PC to get messy (many installed apps, trials, etc.) then a clean install gives you an opportunity for a fresh start.

However, if you've maintained your PC in a good state, then an in-place upgrade lets you get up to speed really quickly. I have upgraded 2 of my desktops using the ISO, and in each case it took less than 30 minutes for me to get back to using the desktop. Just remember to run a disk cleanup after you've confirmed everything's fine, to clean up the backups made of your earlier Windows.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:36   #262
Senior - BHPian

As noted, there is a 2 step process.
If you are reasonably skilled at formating/installing, then clean install once is what you should do. Will take time though depending on what softwares you install.
Upgrades are good enough for an average person.
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:15   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I have done a clean install of Windows 10 (after upgrading from 8.1 pro). I noticed that my even log is continuously getting this message? Any pointes to fix it? I googled it but couldn't fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I've been getting several task manager errors since build 10166, many tasks have their XMLs corrupted or invalid. This happens with a fresh install as well.
I've been getting these errors since build 10166 and that was well over a month back. It has been reported to MS who are well, doing what they do best, sit on it and send me on a wild goose chase about changing this and that. In other words trial and error. They won't accept that it's the task xml that's at fault. Someone has reported that it happens when the time zone is set to any time zone that is NOT a rounded hour for e.g. in India which is GMT +5.5. Set the TZ to GMT or GMT +/- x hours and the problem supposedly goes away. Will have to try it out myself.

EDIT - Problem DOES go away. These task scheduler errors stop clogging the Event logs. Have reported it to MS.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd August 2015 at 09:32.
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:41   #264
BANNED

A clean install is better and faster, since it takes care of all the garbage which collects over a period of time. However, remember you have to reinstall everything. You may not have the software and/or the license information.

I will suggest an upgrade to get the system up and running and then take on from there.
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:08   #265
BHPian

Quote:
I've been getting these errors since build 10166 and that was well over a month back. It has been reported to MS who are well, doing what they do best, sit on it and send me on a wild goose chase about changing this and that. In other words trial and error. They won't accept that it's the task xml that's at fault. Someone has reported that it happens when the time zone is set to any time zone that is NOT a rounded hour for e.g. in India which is GMT +5.5. Set the TZ to GMT or GMT +/- x hours and the problem supposedly goes away. Will have to try it out myself.

EDIT - Problem DOES go away. These task scheduler errors stop clogging the Event logs. Have reported it to MS.
Thanks R2D2. That was a very helpful reply. I tried it and as you said - the problem DID go away. If I am not asking too much, please do post on this thread when you know this is resolved. Anyways, I will keep trying after applying updates when they are rolled out and will post on this thread when I am able to use IST without this error.
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:11   #266
BANNED

Quote:
sgiitk, single language is a OS 'package' with an option to load only 1 language, it is generally OEM. To confirm which version you are running (i.e. Home or Pro) right click on the My PC icon on the desktop and choose "Properties"

It will show you a screen with basic information on your Windows edition/version (Home or Pro) architecture (x32 or x64) and of the hardware.
I am afraid it just says Windows 8.1 Single Language!! No hint of Home / Pro! Yes, it is 64-bit.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd August 2015 at 12:12.
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:16   #267
BHPian

Need some guidance.
Updating using the Windows Update kept on failing after 3 days of trials.
I have downloaded an Win 10 Pro ISO from other sources.
I have a Genuine Windows Licence.
How do I initate the upgrade using the ISO?
Can I create a bootable USB and then would i get the option of upgrade retaining data (NOT clean install) or do I unrar the ISO and click the setup.exe?
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:50   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Need some guidance.
Updating using the Windows Update kept on failing after 3 days of trials.
I have downloaded an Win 10 Pro ISO from other sources.
I have a Genuine Windows Licence.
How do I initate the upgrade using the ISO?
Can I create a bootable USB and then would i get the option of upgrade retaining data (NOT clean install) or do I unrar the ISO and click the setup.exe?
Which OS are you running? If it's 7 or 8.1 then double click on the ISO file, it will be mounted in Explorer as a DVD drive. Open that 'drive' and double click on setup.exe.

Do NOT attempt a clean install (wipe HDD/SSD etc) for the 1st installation instance. It must be done as an in-place upgrade for MS activation servers to recognise the upgrade and activate your copy.

PS - Come to think of it, I hope you downloaded the ISO from the MS site only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am afraid it just says Windows 8.1 Single Language!! No hint of Home / Pro! Yes, it is 64-bit.
sgiitk, if it says just Windows 8.1 then it's the Home edition. Please use to tool (link shared earlier) to download Windows 10 Home x64. If you get an option of SL (Single Language) then download it. If not, just download en_US or en_UK language versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
Thanks R2D2. That was a very helpful reply. I tried it and as you said - the problem DID go away. If I am not asking too much, please do post on this thread when you know this is resolved. Anyways, I will keep trying after applying updates when they are rolled out and will post on this thread when I am able to use IST without this error.
Sure thing, akbaree. Will let you all know if I come across a solution from MS or elsewhere.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd August 2015 at 12:58.
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:02   #269
BHPian

Loving the task view and multidesktop feature like what we get in Linux. This is best feature of the Windows 10 which makes working with multiple windows much easier.
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:40   #270
BHPian

My laptop upgrade to Windows 10 went without any issues and the system is running smoothly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks