Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 15:48   #361

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

I installed Windows 10 a few days back. The process was very smooth - my laptop updated its OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in a few hours. The interface was neat and was responding well, with no lag whatsoever. But then disaster. Somehow it couldn't detect my home wifi. It was able to detect other wifi networks though. Found a workaround by making it connect to a hidden network giving all the details. It then connected for a while and then started showing limited connectivity every few hours. My drivers were up to date so there was nothing I could do. Finally had to go back to Windows 7. I'll try updating in a few months when these issues have been sorted out.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:10   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys, just get the ISO (link provided in one of my earlier posts) and start the upgrade manually. You don't need to wait any longer than you want to.
Thanks. I've now upgraded. process was smooth. it asked me to uninstall Symantec though. weird.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:25   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I bought the PC back in mid 2012 with Windows 7 Ultimate. On January 2013 I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro when the offer was running. The same month I got Windows Media Center free from Microsoft. Last year got upgraded again to Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center and then later to Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 Media Center.

Even though I had reserved for Windows 10 Pro more than a month back, I went for ISO method.
After upgrading from W7 Ultimate - W8 Pro - W8 MC - W8.1 MC - W8.1 MC U1 to W10 Pro since mid 2012, I finally formatted the disk and did a clean install. Installed more softwares than before. Now my C Drive data is just 32GB against 71GB pre-formatting.

And 10 now boots and login even faster than windows 8.1

By the way Microsoft is rolling out a new cumulative update as well as some security updates.

The Windows 10 Thread!-upd.png

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 12th August 2015 at 16:47. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:32   #364
BHPian

Quote:
And 10 now boots and login even faster than windows 8.1
Are you talking about the default 'fast startup' time or proper boot time?
Old 12th August 2015, 16:41   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Are you talking about the default 'fast startup' time or proper boot time?
Proper booting. Switching on to login screen. And then after entering password to desktop.
Old 12th August 2015, 16:56   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I had installed Win 10 enterprise on my office lappy, upgrade was smooth and all the settings and data intact. Then i noticed the screen brightness was at full, searched and searched but could not find the brightness control, the software control button missing and hardware control kaput. From the intel driver there was access but it is a task to set the brightness, since it will mess up lot of other parameters like contrast color etc.

Did some research and apparently its the display driver and it needs to be removed and machine restarted. The uninstall went fine but the laptop never restarted and went into blue oops screen loop. Tried all sorts of recovery and reinstall nothing would work. HP tech guys came and went and now awaiting a new HDD to start the circus again!!

Only saving grace it has official AMC and my back up intact.

Why can't these guys figure out simpler, cleaner and stable way of releasing OS?!
Jaggu, since the HP guys took your drive away, I think your hard drive had either hard or logical errors or could have been failing. Which is why the blue screens. You cant blame MS for a hardware fault.

In nearly 25 years in this line I haven't seen an OS upgrade that went as smoothly as W10 given the 10s of millions of hardware combinations it has to be installed on.

Also, when you 1st upgrade some of the driver settings get messed up. The exact same thing happened to my Dell laptop (screen brightness at max etc. All I did was reinstall the driver and all was well again.

For best performance I have always preferred a clean install of Windows in any version or edition.

Since you use the Enterprise edition, get your IT support staff to do a clean install for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Thanks. I've now upgraded. process was smooth. it asked me to uninstall Symantec though. weird.
That's cause older versions (2014 and earlier) of Symantec products like NAV/NIS/N360/NS etc. were not compatible with W10. You may want to get the latest version from Norton's download site. The compatible version is 22.5.2.15 release across a swathe of security products including the ones mentioned above.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2015 at 16:57.
Old 12th August 2015, 17:06   #367
J.Ravi

After updating to Windows 10, my laptop's Bluetooth was working alright. But, today, I found the Bluetooth vanished into thin air including its icon and settings. I clicked the Device Manager and checked Bluetooth's driver only to find a notification that said Windows stopped it with a error code. Then, I disabled the driver, and after sometime, I enabled it. Now, it's working alright.

Old 12th August 2015, 17:21   #368
Senior - BHPian

The upgrade messed up the Conexant audio driver. Luckily Lenovo guys had the Windows 10 compatible driver on their site. Other than that, the Kapersky stopped working. Went to Kapersky site and they too had the windows 10 compliant version. All is working well now.

How I feel about the update?
Number of times I had to toggle options to keep the privacy (I know I use Google but I will like to keep privacy as much as possible) left a bad taste in mouth.

I am sure it would have been posted in this thread but still here are some links if someone wants MS snooping to minimum.

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/sof...ht-now-1301257

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/w...0-privacy.html

Last edited by download2live : 12th August 2015 at 17:22.
Old 12th August 2015, 17:49   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Proper booting. Switching on to login screen. And then after entering password to desktop.
I mean to say have you turned off 'Fast Startup' and checked?

The Windows 10 Thread!-12684d1424033491faststartupturnoffwindows10afast_startup3.jpg

source

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th August 2015 at 19:46. Reason: Hosting image on TBHP itself...
Old 12th August 2015, 18:05   #370
Team-BHP Support

The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Jaggu, since the HP guys took your drive away, I think your hard drive had either hard or logical errors or could have been failing. Which is why the blue screens. You cant blame MS for a hardware fault.

Hard drive and laptop is intact with me, we have onsite AMC and i can't hand over due to confidential info plus its bitlocker enabled with key with me

Now the funny part is they did a check on the hard disk, and it seems to be fine (as a part) and the two partitions also intact. Issue is this hard disc will not boot and not allowing to recover or restore in win 10 using cd OR to the native hp recovery system. So HP has offered a new hard disc to set up the OS then transfer data from old one and format it and start afresh. And No it is not the bitlocker, which we are able to unlock using the key.

Following are the errors when booting up using the cd or hp recovery.

Attachment 1402958

Attachment 1402959

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th August 2015 at 18:07.
Old 12th August 2015, 18:30   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hard drive and laptop is intact with me, we have onsite AMC and i can't hand over due to confidential info plus its bitlocker enabled with key with me

Now the funny part is they did a check on the hard disk, and it seems to be fine (as a part) and the two partitions also intact. Issue is this hard disc will not boot and not allowing to recover or restore in win 10 using cd OR to the native hp recovery system. So HP has offered a new hard disc to set up the OS then transfer data from old one and format it and start afresh. And No it is not the bitlocker, which we are able to unlock using the key.

Following are the errors when booting up using the cd or hp recovery.

Attachment 1402958

Attachment 1402959
Those attachments are not visible. Can you upload them again? Since you say they checked the HDD and it tested ok (I just hope they did the extended test, not basic SMART test, via the BIOS or bootable USB drive) it could be a boot sector fault/MBR fault that prevents a boot. The attachments should give me a hint.

There are tools online to repair boot sector problems but I am not sure they will be able to tackle a bitlocker drive..the MBR and boot sector should remain unencrypted. Never used bitlocker feature before for fear of losing data if there's a bug in its implementation.

If HP is doing the hard work of giving you a new HDD/SSD and restoring your data from backup then let them
Old 12th August 2015, 18:45   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Those attachments are not visible. Can you upload them again?
The Windows 10 Thread!-image.jpg

Not sure of the test. But they were fairly confident the HDD per say is fine and even the error relates to display driver. But couldn't find much info on why it is not allowing a boot, since most of the reference is to older os 8,7 etc.
Old 12th August 2015, 19:14   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1402978

Not sure of the test. But they were fairly confident the HDD per say is fine and even the error relates to display driver. But couldn't find much info on why it is not allowing a boot, since most of the reference is to older os 8,7 etc.
Unfortunately those HP guys are shooting in the dark. It's not the display driver.

The blue screen is due to a driver iaStorA.sys mentioned in the blue screen of death (BSOD).

The driver is the Intel Rapid Storage (RST) AHCI driver for the Intel motherboard chipset that controls the storage/hard disk. My desktop and laptop machines use the same driver.

Check if you can start Windows 10 in Safe Mode, go to Device Manager and reinstall the Intel driver. see here for how to do this:

http://www.7tutorials.com/4-ways-boo...ode-windows-10

Use method 4

If that does not work I would suggest you try the BL repair tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/downl....aspx?id=17294

Last resort:

a) I hope you have backed up your data.
b) Reinstall Windows 10 from scratch Enterprise editions have different activation methods including VLKs and KMS, please check with your IT support staff for details
c) Once W10 is installed re-enable Bitlocker. Once the drive is ready onlyTHEN copy your data to the drive.

If you enable BL AFTER copying data will take a very long time since it has to encrypt every single file on the partition. So I would suggest encrypting and then copying data.

If this is too much just hand it to the IT support or HP Engineers

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2015 at 19:16.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:18   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I mean to say have you turned off 'Fast Startup' and checked?
Yes, Fast Startup is turned on and it was same with Windows 8.1 pro too.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:04   #375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately those HP guys are shooting in the dark. It's not the display driver.

The blue screen is due to a driver iaStorA.sys mentioned in the blue screen of death (BSOD).

The driver is the Intel Rapid Storage (RST) AHCI driver for the Intel motherboard chipset that controls the storage/hard disk. My desktop and laptop machines use the same driver.

Check if you can start Windows 10 in Safe Mode, go to Device Manager and reinstall the Intel driver. see here for how to do this:

http://www.7tutorials.com/4-ways-boo...ode-windows-10

Use method 4

If that does not work I would suggest you try the BL repair tool:
EDIT: i had raised this to the HP guys as a doubt, if i accidentally uninstalled the wrong driver!

Ill try this out tomorrow, came back home

But if i remember correct even safe mode was not happening, which was first thing we tried at office. I remember trying out various options, safe mode with network yada yada. In short none of the options were allowing an entry into the OS.

And data is the least of concern, i have complete back up including system image copy on our official back up server.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th August 2015 at 21:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks