Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 18:05   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Cant they get anything right? My son now wants to go back to Win 7, but I'm not sure if I want to go through another ordeal all over again. Just download & reinstall Windows 10 compatible drivers (most W8.1 drivers will work), all will fall in place. My Dell laptop went thru the same routine where screen brightness was at max for a while..
The 1st thing you need to do after an upgrade to Windows 10 is to ensure you load ONLY W10 compatible drivers. Most but not ALL W8.1 drivers will work with W10. Get them from the Dell site. My Dell Inspiron 15z had some issues after the in-place upgrade (which I did only for the sake of activation) with every intention to do a fresh install later.

I went to the Dell site, downloaded the drivers. Uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted and then installed the new ones. Voila! All ok.

Quote:
In stark contrast, my Mac has been running beta versions of their OS for a couple of years now since I signed up for public betas. Never had any major issue with Mac betas except maybe once with the Yosemite beta, but that experience is in no way comparable to the travails on the Win 10 commercial release.
That's an unfair comparison. Apple works in a ring fenced world where the hardware AND the OS is designed & manufactured by them. Far easier than the job MS has at hand has where it has to deal with millions of disparate hardware configurations and combinations, from scores of vendors including hundreds of millions of assembled or bespoke PCs/servers. They want to install W10 on 1 billion devices and that's a very ambitious plan. Hope they achieve it. As a pertinent point here - even HP's hardware engineers couldn't figure out what went wrong with Jaggu's HP laptop. That's how difficult it becomes when you deal with such a mind boggling variety of hardware with only ONE OS family to run on it.

Oh yeah, my bro has a MBP + MB Air + iPhone + iPod + i-Whatever and only believes in Apple solutions. That plus my my iPhones in the years gone by means I am reasonably familiar with the world of Apple products.

If Apple screwed up with an OS release they rightly deserve a kicking where it hurts. Trust me they have it very easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Guess what?! EDIT: AND IT WORKED!! Special thanks to R2D2 who saved me lot of misery Now sending a stinker to HP guys who are yet to even deliver that new HDD!
You're welcome Jaggu. As I said before those HP support guys are shooting in the dark. Anyways, if you do manage to wangle a new HDD from them so be it. What the heck..you've paid for the support anyway.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th August 2015 at 18:10.
Old 13th August 2015, 18:11   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You're welcome Jaggu. As I said before those HP support guys are shooting in the dark. Anyways, if you do manage to wangle a new HDD from them so be it. What the heck..you've paid for the support anyway.
No man, it is a pain to reinstall and get data back and organized. And this is relatively a new laptop, i don't think it is even a year old now. Right now downloading few drivers with the HP tool prompted, just in case. For the time being rest all working fine.

Oh ya the finger print thingies is not working, but then that is least of my worries. Had got the new driver but the darn thing is asking me to delete the old finger registration before uninstall. How the heck will i delete if the app itself is missing or not activated lol

Once again thank you.
Old 13th August 2015, 19:41   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1st thing you need to do after an upgrade to Windows 10 is to ensure you load ONLY W10 compatible drivers. Most but not ALL W8.1 drivers will work with W10. Get them from the Dell site.
After 20+ years of using these things and upgrading/downgrading several machines, I think I've earned the luxury of thinking that I have most of the basics covered. Therefore yes, I do download the appropriate driver pack before I attempt anything like this on Win.

Its another matter that I do not need to do so on my Mac. Ring-fenced or not, it works without fail, and more importantly without pain, for the user. I believe that is all that matters in the end.

I would actually give them extra credit for making both the software and the hardware and getting both spot-on most of the time.

Quote:
Oh ya the finger print thingies is not working, but then that is least of my worries. Had got the new driver but the darn thing is asking me to delete the old finger registration before uninstall. How the heck will i delete if the app itself is missing or not activated lol
How did you get the Biometrics to work? Mine's still not working - the device manager says "this device seems to be working fine" and multiple driver update attempts result in the response "you have the most current driver for your operating system". So apparently all is well according to Windows, but its not working for me.
Old 13th August 2015, 19:52   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After 20+ years of using these things and upgrading/downgrading several machines, I think I've earned the luxury of thinking that I have most of the basics covered. Therefore yes, I do download the appropriate driver pack before I attempt anything like this on Win.
Excellent. So I am sure you know your way around resolving OS problems.

As for Apple well, it's not something I want to comment on any further. They have their pluses and minuses, I speak as an former owner/user of several Apple products including their PCs.
Old 13th August 2015, 21:12   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How did you get the Biometrics to work? Mine's still not working - the device manager says "this device seems to be working fine" and multiple driver update attempts result in the response "you have the most current driver for your operating system". So apparently all is well according to Windows, but its not working for me.
No not yet, as i mentioned earlier right now it is not allowing to update the driver since it has finger prints registered and i have to remove them first. Only issue there is no way to access those already registered credentials.
Old 14th August 2015, 00:49   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No not yet, as i mentioned earlier right now it is not allowing to update the driver since it has finger prints registered and i have to remove them first. Only issue there is no way to access those already registered credentials.
Catch 22!

Joseph Heller would be proud.
Old 14th August 2015, 13:42   #397
BANNED

While my Samsung SCX-3400 installed correctly and is working fine, my Sony iP7270 is not. Checking around I find that Sony will only tell me in October whether the driver will be available, and hopefully the driver. Any work round?
Old 14th August 2015, 14:03   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Catch 22!

Joseph Heller would be proud.
Ok got this done, had downloaded all the drivers and installed them including the BIOS for win 10 from HP support.

Did some digging around and read that people had managed to install the HP security tool, which also controlled the finger print scanner earlier, this was uninstalled stating compatibility during the win 10 install.

So it was just matter of downloading the tool again from HP, install and restart. Logged in using the password, then went to the tool and configured it. Works like a charm on Win 10 also.

Caution: Do not use if the tool is for Win 7 or less, or it will slow and crash your system Minimum win 8+ with 64/32 bit support based on your system config is needed.
Old 14th August 2015, 18:32   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an interesting read.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/13/ho...ng-windows-10/

I was in the "Windows Insider - Fast" ring (still am) playing with Windows 10 previews for a few months before the big day when 10240 (the real RTM) was released in the garb of a near final preview release on 15/16 July.

In the past MS did not care too much about user feedback. It's been a very encouraging way of developing an OS that will be installed by 100s of millions of end users. And feedback is still solicited via the Feedback app.
Old 15th August 2015, 23:32   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WAG7 this problem you're facing is a hardware problem and nothing to do with W10. If your display worked properly under W8 then it ought to work just as well under W10 provided the correct drivers are installed.

Most laptop displays/lids have some slack which increases with age/use. You may want to get the lid and ribbon cable checked by the mfr.
Thanks! I have narrowed the problem to the lid/display. Windows 10 is working nicely. Once I get the horizontal lines on the display, I only have to move the lid slightly to get the display back on correctly.
Old 16th August 2015, 02:35   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu boot into the bios and check the security settings. There must be an option to clear finger print data there.
Old 16th August 2015, 09:24   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Thanks! I have narrowed the problem to the lid/display. Windows 10 is working nicely. Once I get the horizontal lines on the display, I only have to move the lid slightly to get the display back on correctly.
I'd suggest you take the laptop to a manufacturer recommended service centre for a check up. Over time a loose ribbon cable can cause problems with the display controller and/or the LCD panel. Fix it when it's a small problem.
Old 16th August 2015, 10:02   #403
Senior - BHPian

This was reported few days back -
Windows 10 is sending personal information about computers up to Microsoft, even if users have changed all their settings to tell it not to do so.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information...-to-microsoft/
Microsoft would not have done this. But, Privacy does it really is a matter for average Joe?
Old 16th August 2015, 12:06   #404
BHPian

Anybody having issues with Windows File explorer ? I occasionally find the context menus missing and also the file menu. While one set of copy was in progress, I tried creating a new folder, first using the context(right click method) and then checked the File/home menu and found it empty. Now when I try to reproduce it, it works well.
Old 16th August 2015, 15:15   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Jaggu boot into the bios and check the security settings. There must be an option to clear finger print data there.
I had got this sorted, just posted few replies back.

Now a new issue, the Win inbuilt apps like Store, Camera and Photo's would not work. They just flash and go put, settings to them are greyed out. Reading up leads to various fixes including clearing up store cache, running some scripts to reset permissions, setting folder access permissions and what not. Nothing seems to fix it.

Only thing left to try is the network rights management, which i have shared details to IT team. They have confirmed nothing was changed or set from their side and they need to now check if something is really interfering or not.

Funny thing the already downloaded app egs: watermark app seems to be working lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks