Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 05:32   #541
BHPian

The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Its available for download (for Rs 7.9K approx) on Microsoft website, but I want proper Disc actually.
is this a new pc or do you have an older OS already? The upgrade versions are cheaper. I've seen a single user license for 5k recently but can't find it now. I see this price on paytm. You are eligible for a free upgrade anyway.
The Windows 10 Thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1455840091.530113.jpg

Here's another option at Snapdeal
http://m.snapdeal.com/product/microsoft-windows-81-single-language/536732674

Attachment 1477920

Last edited by diyguy : 19th February 2016 at 05:58.
Old 19th February 2016, 09:15   #542
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Its available for download (for Rs 7.9K approx) on Microsoft website, but I want proper Disc actually.
If you have a old PC, it may be a good idea to try the Windows 10 on your PC before buying it, to ensure that your system is compatible with Windows 10. You can download the Windows 10 iso file using the media creation tool from microsoft and and you can create the DVD. If everything goes well, then you can buy the product key from Microsoft store and then activate the Windows.
Old 14th March 2016, 08:56   #543
BHPian

The cheapest you can buy Windows 10 from is here
http://www.vinhugo.com/windows-10-ho...ale-p-646.html

Of course here you only get the key, then you can download the iso from the Microsoft site.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO

Ps: I have not purchased from him yet, but thinking of doing so one of these days.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:42   #544
Senior - BHPian

Anyone running in to the dreaded BSOD or blue screen of death on Windows 10?

It is less than 2 months I rigged up a new desktop based on Skylake, bought Windows 10 and it was smooth sailing till yesterday. I was watching The Big Short on my PC and a blue smiley (upset) screen popped up and that was it. Rebooted and resumed watching the movie, only to see the same screen pop up again. This happened over 10 times and I gave up. All that has been updated by me is Adobe Flash and I added a new HP wireless mouse. If Windows did update something in the back ground, then I have not noticed it. Reading up on line suggested moving back to a restore point. I have yet to try it. There was a point I left the pc idle and it snapped again with zero load. The error code is not consistent when BSOD strikes.

In all the investigations I did, I noticed I had not installed Intel's Rapid Storage driver that recognizes AHCI and enables NCQ. Post installation did not solve BSOD. Then I noticed the audio driver was default Micrososft. It was working fine so I left it at that instead of installing the krappy Realtek drivers. I tried installing Realtek audio drivers in hope that it might be the issue and it refused to install. Left it there. Updated the Intel graphics driver. None of this helped.

The last time I remember a BSOD taking place was over 8 years ago and that was easily fixed. Does not speak highly on the stability of Windows 10.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th March 2016 at 09:50.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:55   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Anyone running in to the dreaded BSOD or blue screen of death on Windows 10?
The last time I remember a BSOD taking place was over 8 years ago and that was easily fixed. Does not speak highly on the stability of Windows 10.
Not exactly sure. Normally it does mention an error or DLL which caused it to crash. That might be a good pointer to start.
Old 15th March 2016, 08:02   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Normally it does mention an error or DLL which caused it to crash. That might be a good pointer to start.
Like I said, the error code is not consistent with each crash, which makes it harder to narrow down the problem. I'll probably reinstall Windows 10 and turn off auto updates at the registry level. There seems to be no way to turn it off on the front end.

Regret my decision of not taking the mac route, much to the advice of some friends. You don't expect stability issues so early in to the life of a computer.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th March 2016 at 08:05.
Old 15th March 2016, 09:04   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, the error code is not consistent with each crash, which makes it harder to narrow down the problem. I'll probably reinstall Windows 10 and turn off auto updates at the registry level. There seems to be no way to turn it off on the front end.

Regret my decision of not taking the mac route, much to the advice of some friends. You don't expect stability issues so early in to the life of a computer.
This could mean one or more drivers are corrupt or even a loose RAM could be an issue with gives such issues. Might be a good idea to check is any of the modules have become loose, before the reinstall. And if nothing much has been installed or configured, its better to do a clean install than moving back to a restore point.

The mac is more stable, but costs more as well.
Old 15th March 2016, 09:08   #548
BHPian

Quote:
I'll probably reinstall Windows 10 and turn off auto updates at the registry level.
I had this issue with a display driver and I tried starting win 10 in test mode. Driver signing is ignored. Give that a shot once and see. I have been having an issue with my desktop since Win 7 upgraded to Win 10 and I switched to Linux, but now I have bad RAM and Linux too has problems. However no issues with my laptops that have been upgraded to Win 10.
Old 15th March 2016, 09:13   #549
BANNED

I find something odd with the display of my Lenovo Flex 14. Touch died the day I moved to Win 10. My son had the same and his touch is working.

Found an interesting issue with the Auto Update of Win 10. Some system are used in control or logging applications, which run for weeks and even months. Here the auto update can play havoc.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:03   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Might be a good idea to check is any of the modules have become loose, before the reinstall.
I will check but a ram stick not sitting properly or turning loose in less than two months is highly unlike.

Quote:
The mac is more stable, but costs more as well.
Well yes but they do have some options if you don't want the pricey iMac's, etc. I spent a shade over 50k for a cpu, motherboard, ram, m2 ssd and Windows 10 software and none of the components can be categorized as high end. You will get a 4th gen Intel based Mac Mini for a little less. Spend around 15k more and you will get a Intel 5th gen equipped Macbook Air. You will rarely experience a crash on a Mac, the legacy hardware tends to keep up, if not beat the very latest there is and Apple are generally more careful when it comes to releasing updates. Off course, their eco system of hardware they need to support is much smaller which results in better stability.

I work with a bunch with artists and all of them swear by the Mac. Most have transitioned from Windows to a Mac. Not all of them are technically inclined to troubleshoot, to be bothered about upgrading drivers, hardware and what not. They want to get their work done without any hiccups and in their opinion, there is nothing to beat a Mac. I am starting to believe that point does hold some water.

I've not lost faith in Microsoft. It is very annoying when something like this happens so early in to the life of a new computer you just rigged.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:19   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I spent a shade over 50k for a cpu, motherboard, ram, m2 ssd and Windows 10 software and none of the components can be categorized as high end.
I had to read it again, m2 ssd is not high end? A 512GB M2 SSD itself will cost you above 30K.

Are you comparing similar specs machines here?

Quote:
It is less than 2 months I rigged up a new desktop based on Skylake
What do you mean by rigged it up? Did you not buy it from a reputed brand like HP or DELL?

Last edited by Samurai : 15th March 2016 at 11:23.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:22   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I find something odd with the display of my Lenovo Flex 14. Touch died the day I moved to Win 10. My son had the same and his touch is working.

Found an interesting issue with the Auto Update of Win 10. Some system are used in control or logging applications, which run for weeks and even months. Here the auto update can play havoc.
Looks like a driver problem. You could check with Lenovo support if they have a driver update for Windows 10!!

Its better to switch off Auto update in systems that run continuously, as done in many organisations.

Quote:
Well yes but they do have some options if you don't want the pricey iMac's, etc. I spent a shade over 50k for a cpu, motherboard, ram, m2 ssd and Windows 10 software and none of the components can be categorized as high end.

I've not lost faith in Microsoft. It is very annoying when something like this happens so early in to the life of a new computer you just rigged.
I understand, couple of years back I build my rig based on a Rampage 4 black, and filled all its RAM slots. And when I installed Windows after enabling the memory options it started crashing randomly. So went and undid all the bios options and got it to stable state. That said a gaming laptop bought from MSI, still is not stable, and the graphics drivers for the nVidia GTI keeps crashing.

Given all the "hype" I got myself a mac pro, and it was a world of difference. So these days when I just want have some nice and rich user experience, I just use the mac pro. The only issue is the screen size which is 15"

Microsoft is more like a trial an error stuff!!
Old 15th March 2016, 11:31   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had to read it again, m2 ssd is not high end?
I bought a 256gb m2 stick for a little over 7k. I don't categorize it as high end cause its not a Samsung Evo class m2 or whatever other performance m2's out there.

Quote:
Are you comparing similar specs machines here?
No. The specs are actually far apart. My point is stability.

Quote:
What do you mean by rigged it up? Did you not buy it from a reputed brand like HP or DELL?
No. I have had quite a bit of success assembling rigs with the components of my choice. Apart from support, you don't really stand to gain much buying a brand.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th March 2016 at 11:39.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:32   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I understand, couple of years back I build my rig based on a Rampage 4 black, and filled all its RAM slots....

Given all the "hype" I got myself a mac pro, and it was a world of difference. So these days when I just want have some nice and rich user experience, I just use the mac pro....

Microsoft is more like a trial an error stuff!!
So, let me get this right. You build a PC using various parts, and install windows. When it fails Microsoft gets the blame.

Then you buy a Mac pro off the shelf which comes with MacOS, and it works fine. Apple gets the credit.

I want to see somebody build a Mac Air or Mac Pro using various parts and try installing MacOS and then tell their story.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:36   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea what the error says? BSODs could be driver related or hardware failure related. The first thing I personally check when a BSOD occurs is ram. More often than not, its bad ram.

Recently had a string of BSODs after updating the nvidia driver. Had to revert to a previous version and things were back to normal. Later there was news that the driver was bugged for many people.

Most Viewed