Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 06:35   #586
BANNED

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

@diyguy; I will try, but from what I can figure out from the 'net' is that Tally does not like some printer installs. I have activated Wireless on both my Samsung 3400 and Sony Pixma 7200, so could be this. Earlier Tally was working fine. Also, it file on my wife's Toshiba i3, 2GB, Win10 Pro setup. I just copied the directory over and it is going fine.
Old 6th June 2016, 18:33   #587
BANNED

I am thinking of installing Windows in a Virtual Machine under VM_Ware Player, or VirtualBox. Win10SL does not support HyperV so these are required. Reports say both are about the same. Now the Windows you install need its own license so using my contacts I have managed a legal copy of WinXP Pro with SP3. So I may have a crack one of these days. Today i removed both the Printer drivers and reinstalled, one at a time, no improvement. So let me try and come back.

One thing is sure my next machine will be a Mac Pro running Winware under Wine!
Old 9th June 2016, 06:04   #588
BHPian

A query to those who have successfully upgraded their old Win-7 laptops to Win-10 :
I have an old Dell laptop ( N5010, i3-M330, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD, & 500 GB HDD ) which came with Win-7 Home-Premium.
I have been using it happily for the past 6 years or so, have not had a single BSOD in all this time; this despite upgrading the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB, installing an SSD as the boot-disk, & using a HDD-caddy ( in place of the original DVD-drive ) for the original HDD.
Was ignoring the prompts to upgrade to Win-10 for the past year or so, however, this carefree life has come to an end
I'm currently involved in developing AR & VR stuff using Unity, which is insisting that I upgrade to Win-10 to be able to deploy builds on to devices.
Started the process today morning & 'am stuck at a dialog that says "Cleaning up files" - problem is that it has been going on for the past 6 hours !
Name:  Win7_Win10_0.PNG
Views: 550
Size:  1.04 MB
A) Has anybody else faced this prolonged wait for file cleanup ?
B) Should I just back away when the going's good & simply get a new Win-10 laptop ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One thing is sure my next machine will be a Mac Pro running Winware under Wine !
I have a MacBook-Pro that has crashed unexpectedly 4 times in the past year or so that I have been using it - the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Last edited by im_srini : 9th June 2016 at 06:30.
Old 9th June 2016, 11:20   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
A query to those who have successfully upgraded their old Win-7 laptops to Win-10 :
I have a MacBook-Pro that has crashed unexpectedly 4 times in the past year or so that I have been using it - the grass isn't always greener on the other side...
I have upgraded a brand new MSI laptop and an old laptop which uses a normal HDD. In both the cases this was not noticed, though the old laptop took substantial time to upgrade. Kicked of around 9 or 10 pm, and was not complete by midnight. I let it run, and by morning was complete, though not sure how long it took.
Old 9th June 2016, 11:43   #590
BANNED

Quote:
@diyguy; I will try, but from what I can figure out from the 'net' is that Tally does not like some printer installs. I have activated Wireless on both my Samsung 3400 and Sony Pixma 7200, so could be this
According to one who knows it may just be that the printer(s) are catching some interrupt which Tally wants to use. After all the DOS origins of Tally are pretty obvious.
Old 9th June 2016, 14:01   #591
BHPian

Quote:
may just be that the printer(s) are catching some interrupt which Tally wants to use.
In that case, you can try changing the port numbers of your printer configuration. Alternately, you can try wireshark (if not tried already) to study the network traffic.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2016 at 16:02. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 9th June 2016, 15:24   #592
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
In that case, you can try changing the port numbers of your printer configuration. Alternately, you can try wireshark (if not tried already) to study the network traffic.
I am afraid Win10 does not offer you that luxury, and also Tally does no stay on long enough to see what resources it wants. Since Tally is running happily on my wife's Toshiba, i3, 2GB, Win10Pro so the problem is specific to mine.

Let me first try a VM under WinXPPro and see.

Last edited by sgiitk : 9th June 2016 at 15:28.
Old 13th June 2016, 01:13   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I have an old Dell laptop ( N5010, i3-M330, 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD, & 500 GB HDD ) which came with Win-7 Home-Premium.
A) Has anybody else faced this prolonged wait for file cleanup ?
Successfully upgraded to Windows-10 today morning & just bringing this to closure :
The "Cleaning up files" dialog was being displayed by a process called SetupHost.exe.
I do not yet know why the file cleanup was dragging on for hours, but that wasn't the real issue.
The real issue was that the Windows-10 upgrade requires a certain amount of free space in the SRP (System Reserved Partition).
The SRP on my laptop was of the standard 100 MB size & did not have the required amount of free space, hence the install was prematurely terminating.

Caution : I then used a tool called MiniTool-Partition-Wizard to increase the size of the SRP ( this moved the Boot & OS partition as well ).
After this change the laptop would go into boot-loops when powered on & wouldn't boot at all
My Windows-7 DVD was back in Chennai & I would've been in a sticky situation if not for the fact that my original HDD was in the optical-drive caddy.
So opened up the laptop & switched the HDD from the caddy with the SSD in the laptop & was able to get it to boot from the HDD.
Then cloned the HDD to the SSD once more & another "opening ceremony" later, the laptop was booting from the SSD again.

Thankfully MicroSoft provides all the Win-7 post-SP1 updates in a single bundle, hence was able to easily bring the machine up to a point where the Win-10 upgrade could proceed.
And it did - was quite painless actually, the longest operation was the 3 GB download.
In any case, the laptop's up & running on Win-10 now & it's surprisingly fast as well

Last edited by im_srini : 13th June 2016 at 01:18.
Old 13th June 2016, 08:48   #594
BANNED

Quote:
Since Tally is running happily on my wife's Toshiba, i3, 2GB, Win10Pro so the problem is specific to mine.

Let me first try a VM under WinXPPro and see.
I installed VMWare-player and then WinXPPro SP2 (legal). The problem persists. Initially it was only giving 512MB to the OS. I increased it to 2GB, but still the same problem.

So if are trying to run Tally under Win10 then PRAY.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:42   #595
BHPian

Quote:
So if are trying to run Tally under Win10 then PRAY.
Have you looked at Windows event logs to see why Tally is crashing? Also check Tally folder to see if it is writing some information somewhere. Try running Tally in administrator mode or elevated mode. Try also running Tally in 32bit mode.
Disable all startup processes and then try again.
These are some things I would try.
Old 13th June 2016, 21:57   #596
BHPian

Quote:
According to one who knows it may just be that the printer(s) are catching some interrupt which Tally wants to use.
After all the DOS origins of Tally are pretty obvious.
So if are trying to run Tally under Win-10 then PRAY.
Sounds like the case of the car that hated vanilla ice-cream

<Long-Personal-Story>
A couple of years ago I was putting together a server for building custom Android images.
I bought all the parts in Chennai & assembled the server at home in Chennai where it worked flawlessly.
I then brought the server over to Bangalore ( by car ) & when turned on, the machine would go into a boot-loop & refuse to start !
I disassembled the whole thing & put it back together thinking the journey had jarred some components loose - no joy.
Took the damn thing back to Chennai where, infuriatingly, it started working perfectly again !
Drove me nuts, I even let it run continuously for 3 days at the shop where I'd gotten the components - it ran like a champ for 3 days straight.
Since I couldn't be driving between Bangalore & Chennai to debug this issue, got a new motherboard, power-supply, & CPU cooler.
Drove back to Bangalore & swapped in the new components, was expecting the issue to be resolved since I'd changed out the critical components, but the boot-loops returned to haunt me !
Decided to take it step-by-step, removed all the add-on boards like the graphics card & the WiFi card - was rewarded when the machine started up just fine.
Then the graphics card went in & the machine booted up fine again, it was already looking like the WiFi card was the culprit.
Put the WiFi card in & the boot-loops returned, hence a silly Rs.2,000 WiFi card had prevented a machine costing 1L from even booting up
There was something about the lower temperatures or lower humidity in Bangalore that had caused the WiFi card to go bonkers & cause the boot-loops.
What I'm trying to say is : Try the simple solutions first before trying the more complicated ones.
</Long-Personal-Story>

Since Tally works on Win-10 on another laptop, the failure mode is most likely not due to Win-10.
As DiyGuy has mentioned, check Event-Viewer for any error or warning messages related to Tally.
Check if running in a compatibility mode or as administrator solves the issue.
Sometimes, developers use generic error messages, so the error message being displayed might not be the actual reason for the failure.
Look closely at the circumstances of the error, does the error pop up on starting Tally or only when you attempt to do something in it ?
Stop all other applications & check if the error persists, or remove all the data files & observe if the error shows up.
If all else fails, & if you're comfortable with it, start Tally using a debugger like WinDbg & you should be able to break into the application at the point where the error/exception happens.

Last edited by im_srini : 13th June 2016 at 21:59.
Old 13th June 2016, 22:10   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will suggest you install AOMEI One Key recovery. Then you have far more flexibility in the backup - pen drive, system, external hard disk, and it is fr more flexible.
Thanks, but in the meantime I'd contacted HP support in the US online via a web chat. I was told that a system backup needed around 24 gb of space, so the only option was to go in for a 32 GB pen drive from Flipkart. The backup hardly took an hour, and now I feel pretty safe!
Old 14th June 2016, 08:11   #598
BANNED

@im_srini; The error pops after startup when one expects the display of the accounts to come up for selection.

I will try the admin mode, but may no do much good. Remember the DOS origins of Tally (very obvious).

I will check the Windows events log, but do not expect much since the crash/clash is internal to Tally.
Old 14th June 2016, 11:31   #599
BHPian

Quote:
The error pops after startup when one expects the display of the accounts to come up for selection.
I'm not sure how Tally stores its data, but it would help if the software is started without any data files as if it was a fresh install.
If you're able to start Tally without any data, you could create an empty "test" company ( without any associated data ) & check if that causes any errors on start-up of Tally.

Quote:
I will try the admin mode, but may no do much good.
Remember the DOS origins of Tally ( very obvious ).
If the error is due to lack of sufficient permissions, the admin mode will help.
If Tally has not really kept up with the changing landscape of Windows, the compatibility mode will help.
The Tally web-site says that it took a team of 200 developers, 3 years to create, & that the latest version ( R-5.3.8 ) was released just a couple of weeks ago.
So it's not unreasonable to expect that Tally has kept up with the times.

Quote:
I will check the Windows events log, but do not expect much since the crash is internal to Tally.
Check both the System & Application events when looking into Event-Viewer.
Old 14th June 2016, 12:34   #600
BANNED

@im_srini; There is a sub-directory Data where the data is stored. In fact I send my CA just that directory. Yes, but the most popular is Tally 9 erp. I hear there is a 64-bit version somewhere. Remember the same runs very happily under Win10 (Pro here), on the Toshiba i3, 2GB unit. I just copied across the directory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks