Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 18:31   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Is digitalcodes.in the cheapest place to get genuine keys for windows 10?
Old 31st January 2019, 22:06   #632
BHPian

I bought a new Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen 5 running Windows 10 Home a few days ago. After unboxing and setup, I tried updating Windows. It installed a few updates without issues, but failed at the latest cumulative update. This is the error I got.

• 2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4480978) - Error 0x800f081f

Now, I tried about all solutions I could find in the internet including
- Running the Update Troubleshooter
- Repairing Windows updater
- Reinstalling .Net 3.5
- Running the DSIM utility
- Rebuilding the Update Database
- Refreshing the Software Distribution folder

I also tried installing the update by downloading the offline installer of the cumulative update, but every time, half way through the installation, it says it encountered some error and reverts the changes.

The troubleshooter reports that the updater database is corrupt. But not of the solutions available (last three in the list above) is able to fix it.

I wonder what the issue is. Has anybody encountered this error (0x800f081f) here? I have spent the last two days on this and it is driving me crazy.

Would Acer customer care attend to such software issues?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st February 2019, 02:02   #633
Senior - BHPian

First update Windows 10 to 1809 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Then you can easily go for '2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4476976)'

Cheers!
Old 1st February 2019, 13:15   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I bought a new Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen 5 running Windows 10 Home a few days ago. After unboxing and setup, I tried updating Windows. It installed a few updates without issues, but failed at the latest cumulative update. This is the error I got.

• 2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4480978) - Error 0x800f081f
Stupid question, but have you tried to manually download the update from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com and install?

Have you looked at C:\Windows\Logs\cbs.log? This log would have details as to what component is missing.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:40. Reason: trimming quoted post
Old 2nd February 2019, 20:37   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
First update Windows 10 to 1809 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Then you can easily go for '2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4476976)'

Cheers!
That worked! Thank you very much.

I wonder how people live with this stupid thing called Windows 10. Things simply refuse to work without even giving out a proper message. And there are troubleshooter utilities galore built into the OS that hardly works.

Immediately after the above solution fixed my Windows Update error, the laptop became extremely slow. Like, you start an application and the splash screen appears after 30 seconds. Looked at the task manager and the disk usage was at 100%. Culprit was Event Viewer. Disabled it in Services, but then some other process took over. Several alleged fixes and troubleshoots later system boot up became extremely slow. And after a while without any warning, the wifi icon in the system tray disappeared. No Internet! I searched online to find the only working solution was to buy a usb wifi module.

Then somebody suggested a system reset. And guess what the install process after reset got stuck at 88%. Frustrated, I decided to leave it running overnight, and today morning, it was still stuck at 88%. I switched it off and back on hoping that the install process will start from scratch. No, it still showed 88%. But then voila, it started moving again, and installation completed in no time.

First thing I did after getting the system up and running is to create an installation media drive. Guess what, after downloading the files it said it encountered some error and gave up. I ran it again and again as admin and ended with the same error. And all this time I was oblivious that the tool was downloading a 4 gig image file every time I ran the tool. Wonder how stupid the developers at Microsoft are. Finally the fix for the problem was to copy the tool into the usb drive and running it from there. It may sound bizarre, but no, it is true.

In the start of my career, my job required me to visit customer sites and install/configure Windows 95/98/2K and other software. I have done hundreds of installations including those I did in my own desktop and laptops. None of them has given me the kind of agony I faced during the last 3-4 days. Not even Slackware, BeOS, OS2 Warp, BSD and even Solaris.

I had to pour out all the frustration somewhere. So pardon me if the rest of the world don't share my opinion about Windows. I was and still is a Microsoft fanboy who still cherishes my Lumia 925.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Stupid question, but have you tried to manually download the update from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com and install?

Have you looked at C:\Windows\Logs\cbs.log? This log would have details as to what component is missing.
Thanks! The log was too long and undecipherable to a layman like me. I saw some errors, but nothing that pointed me anywhere.

Last edited by civic-sense : 2nd February 2019 at 20:41.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 00:55   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was and still is a Microsoft fanboy who still cherishes my Lumia 925.
With Windows 10, life is little different. Better you keep automatic update on. I have 2 Desktops bought one in 2010 (Dell Vostro) and 2012 (Dell XPS) and both came preinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate. I had gone through all upgrades since then in both the PCs. Windows 8, 8.1, 10 (1507 to 1809). To keep windows 10 trouble free just keep the auto update on and rest it will take care. Your laptop was stuck at 1709 for a long time. With 1809 the Windows installation folder had shrink-ed considerably and is very fast while booting and shut down.

We share something common. True blue Microsoft fanboys. Yes my 2014 Lumia 1520 is just working perfectly fine still after 4.5 years.

Cheers!
Old 4th February 2019, 11:10   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Glad your issue was sorted. The log is a boon for people like me who support servers. I was initially having trouble getting my head around. These days, you know where to look. MS have moved on a lot from the old OS. There are a lot more features, but they come with their own issues.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th October 2019 at 21:55. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 6th August 2019, 16:58   #638
Senior - BHPian

I had bought Dell Inspiron 15-3567 in Nov. 2018.

For past few weeks, I am facing trouble with Windows Update.
The Updates get downloaded automatically. When I click Update and Shutdown, the Updates to get installed partially. But when the Laptop is turned ON next time, I get Error "We couldn't complete installing the updates. Undoing the Changes."

I have contacted Dell only to get a reply "As it is software related, please contact Microsoft on 18001021100."

The call did not go through even after calling multiple times (more than 5-6 times). So searched Techincal Support Microsoft on Google. Then followed the steps given on Fix Windows Update Errors after selecting Windows 10 as Operating System.
1. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
2. Download the most recent Servicing Stack Update (SSU)
3. Download the most recent KB
4. Fix Windows file corruption

I did not proceed further with "Perform an In-Place Upgrade".

Please help me solve this issue.

The Laptop came with pre-installed with Licensed Copy of Windows 10 Home Single Language.

The Windows Specifications currently shown in About under Settings are as below-
Edition- Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version- 1809
Installed on- 28-03-2019
OS Build- 17763.557

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 6th August 2019 at 17:02.
Old 7th August 2019, 13:51   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

Please help me solve this issue.
I had a similar issue with one of my laptops and I turned off Office updates and it worked. Try it out if it is applicable to you.
Old 7th August 2019, 18:02   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
I had a similar issue with one of my laptops and I turned off Office updates and it worked. Try it out if it is applicable to you.
I had already Turned Off the Office Updates at the Time of Office Registration in Nov. 2018.

But still I checked in Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates but did not find any MS Office Related Update that has been installed.

I don't want to go the Reinstallation of OS route.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:22   #641

Quote:
When I click Update and Shutdown, the Updates to get installed partially. But when the Laptop is turned ON next time, I get Error "We couldn't complete installing the updates. Undoing the Changes."
Usually, this is a sign of a bigger underlying problem within your installation - clashing system-critical files for instance. I suggest resetting your OS installation while retaining your files, and then trying again. Doing this has an added benefit of making your computer factory-fast again. You also won't need to worry about re-installing drivers, because Windows 10

To perform the reset, open Settings app from start menu, select 'Update & Security', select 'Recovery' from the left pane, click on 'Get started' under 'Reset this PC', and select 'Keep my files'. Keep in mind that you will need to install your programs such as MS Office, Chrome, Winamp, GTA V, etc. again so it helps to make a list of every third party program you've installed before you reset.

The Windows 10 Thread!-resetpc.png

Last edited by aah78 : 24th October 2019 at 21:56. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 11th August 2019, 20:27   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurangsaini View Post
Keep in mind that you will need to install your programs such as MS Office, Chrome, Winamp, GTA V, etc. again so it helps to make a list of every third party program you've installed before you reset.
The following programs came pre-installed with Laptop-
1. MS Windows 10 Home (License Copy).
2. MS Office Student 2016 (License Copy)
3. McAfee Antivirus 15 months Subscription.

So would I need to reactivate just the MS Office and McAfee or the Windows 10 also?

Other programs such Chrome, Securesign (Digital Signing Certificate), Pdf Reader, Winrar, etc can be installed so no problem for these.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 11th August 2019 at 20:30.
Old 12th August 2019, 14:49   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So would I need to reactivate just the MS Office and McAfee or the Windows 10 also?

Other programs such Chrome, Securesign (Digital Signing Certificate), Pdf Reader, Winrar, etc can be installed so no problem for these.
Your windows 10 will get activated when you connect online.

As for the rest, you will need to reinstall just as you would when purchased new.

And I cannot stress the importance of having the instance of your windows 10 updated. In the last one week, have done one reset due to update issues(after doing all possible trouble shooting). Another one wasn’t as bad, fortunately

Last edited by HappyWheels : 12th August 2019 at 14:53.
Old 12th August 2019, 17:23   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Create an Microsoft account and add your laptop to the account. Login with the same Microsoft account on your office as well. Next time when you re-install, just login to your laptop with your microsoft account and it will pull everything from it and activate the respective products.
Old 20th October 2019, 13:32   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

How to enable Hibernate on Win 10 ?

I have tried the Power settings (what the power buttons do), groupedit and also searched registry. I am not able to find any way to enable the hibernate option (it shows disabled in Control Panel > Power settings.

"powercfg /hibernate on" doesnt work either

Only thing which works is hibernate on closing the lid. I want to enable it in the 'Start > Power' ( here I only see sleep, restart and shutdown.

Most Viewed