Team-BHP - The Windows 10 Thread!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Windows 10 Thread! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/156080-windows-10-thread.html)

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Name:  windows_product_family_930event741x416.png
Views: 8622
Size:  234.2 KB

Peek at some of the "new" features (or fixes) :)Name:  techpreview_startmenu500x281.png
Views: 8392
Size:  95.6 KB

Windows 10 will launch to consumers in late 2015.

Going by historic patters, this windows should be a hit.

The jokes have started to come on :D Why did Windows version skip 9? Because 7 ate 9 :uncontrol

Nope, still don't see it becoming an instant success. Perhaps since most desktops/laptops have Windows installed people may just upgrade in the interest of getting updates and support (Win7 support stops soon)

Microsoft just doesn't understand why 8 was a critical failure, people found the metro to be too colourful and less formal (atleast I did). It is also slightly complex in the swipe gesture department in the sense it is no more instantly user friendly as 3.1x or XP or their greatest achievement, 7. I'm not a coder but I use my laptop for mails, Microsoft Office and sometimes for recreation purpose like music/movies. Windows 7 is greatly optimised for a non-touchscreen traditional operation and that's what I like best about it. No "marketplace", no applications that waste broadband without my approval (news/weather/updates/touchscreen games etc aren't important when working in a laptop). I've just used Win8 in other's laptops and I hated the very look of all the floating colour and tiles, seemed like a software for kids what with the big text/animations and large thumbnails. Maybe that's just me. I like to have a formal business machine & that's why I got a Thinkpad with Win7 (which was about 6k cheaper than Win8). I strongly feel the distinction between phone and laptop software must remain.

+1 dark.knight I completely agree with you. Me neither fan of Win8. I personally prefer Win7's elegant interface as opposed to 'in your face bright and big' Windows 8. Microsoft should realize that they have a strong traction among office users (desktop, ms office) and should focus on them while creating desktop os and office software. Saying one software different platform is a nice sales statement. But is it necessary and required by user? That's the important question

Does Nadella want to signal a break with the past with 10 and skipping 9? They went from year to XP/Vista to 7. The last to probably make people forget Vista.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 3546954)
people found the metro to be too colourful and less formal (atleast I did).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplog (Post 3546983)
I personally prefer Win7's elegant interface as opposed to 'in your face bright and big' Windows 8.

What do corporate buyers (let's say you guys) plan to do when Microsoft drops support for Win-7?
(And assuming that future iterations of Windows remain as cheery and colorful as Win 8)

Remember the IT infra is not just user desktop but a lot of applications and servers built inside. (Say Lync, Sharepoint etc)

This will be a definite hit. As per the sources Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for 7 and 8 users. Windows 10 will be the last (for the time being) major update with number series and will add .1 update scheme like Mac OS X.

Interesting to know that the same will be followed in Windows Phone 8.1 too. Windows Phone will ultimately become Windows 10 and all platforms Desktops, Laptops, Surface, Tablets, Mobiles & Smart-watches will carry single OS 'Windows'.

I am curious to try the multiple desktop concept with fast switching.:D

Cheers!

Vinu

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 3547026)
What do corporate buyers (let's say you guys) plan to do when Microsoft drops support for Win-7?

For enterprise users, Win 7 will be supported till 2020. So, that is quite some time away.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/lifecycle

Windows 10 seems to be an attempt to merge Win 7 & Win 8. While it is a grand idea, it can go other way.

Isadora Duncan: "Will you be the father of my next child? A combination of my beauty and your brains would startle the world."
George Bernard Shaw: "I must decline your offer with thanks, for the child might have my beauty and your brains."
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 3547024)
Does Nadella want to signal a break with the past with 10 and skipping 9?

Numerology, perhaps?

I was assuming 9 was being released later next year, and now they have skipped a version. Not that it really mattered, since all that is really important is what it does. it does not matter to me, if they call it 95, 98,xp vista or anything. Probably for the naming part they need to look at how they do it for apple's OS or androids

I would really love to have the look and feel of Vista and 7 with the internals of 7, 8 and more. I loved the Aero look and Gadgets from Vista, the reliablity and simplicity of 7. And yes I defn need the start button

I hope they do not ask for more demanding hardware to run 10, and should be able to run on machines that used to run windows 7 or 8

Going by the trend of having alternate failures and success, I am assuming this would be a success and reliable. Would love to get my hands on a beta releases

Never been a fan of Windblows but liked and use Windows 7 - even at home since it made it a lot more easier to use Windows. Hated 8 so much that I never installed at home or office either. Thankfully, I have a Windows 7 Ultimate edition - will that be supported until 2020?

OT - I'd stick on with Linux for all my needs except gaming. Sadly, that has never caught on.

Start watching @ 1:35 to get a very quick overview of what's new/back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NI...&feature=share

cya
R

Intentionally skip 9 so that people talk about it perhaps. By the looks of it, mission accomplished as well.

Else why cant you call 10 9?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3547438)
Start watching @ 1:35 to get a very quick overview of what's new/back:

Those are just few revised features, what about improvements under the hood?

I mean I am yet to see a proper OS which can efficiently utilize high end 8+ core CPUs or high end graphics cards. Putting windows on high end hardware rather worsens the situation. The Windows is still just suitable for Windows XP era hardware which nowadays falls in low or mid range category.

I think thats the reason the chip manufacturer also haven't come up with any remarkable innovation in last couple of years, because there is no one to make proper OS which can utilize their hardware.

These days it feels like palm size smartphones soon going to catch up or beat the computer hardware.

Will Microsoft give the users of 8.1 a chance to upgrade for free, like they did for Win8??