Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 17:21   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are many "HD players" like Western digital WDTV which play AVCHD and AVCHD lite directly.
No need to convert. You just connect it to your TV via the HDMI cable.
how i put the AVCHD file from my SD card into this "player" do they have a SD card slot or a USB slot so I can just put my SD card read into them and they will take the file from the SD card?

Tsk, if this is so you have saved me a lot of effort. A link to these players would be nice.

Also does anyone know if I stick my SD card reader into a PS3 will it read AVCHD files on the SD card?

Last edited by navin : 4th August 2010 at 17:25.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:49   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
dont you loose resolution if you do this?
I agree. But thats the best I can do today. Save the source for future and watch the current in an MPEG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There are many "HD players" like Western digital WDTV which play AVCHD and AVCHD lite directly.
No need to convert. You just connect it to your TV via the HDMI cable.

What if I told you, my TV belongs to the Jurassic Period (Its a mono, Non-Flat, Battered.....)

TSK, I think you might have as well seen it, when you were around!

One choice of purchase I agree the prices ranges big way. But I think the way forward is Hard Disk based HD option. Its good to plan for that and make it one time big purchase. Also its important to time that purchase as well. Esp, if one has an infant, one would like to capture all those moments for future.

Also I did not want to indulge
Old 4th August 2010, 20:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What if I told you, my TV belongs to the Jurassic Period (Its a mono, Non-Flat, Battered.....)
In that case, you don't need a modern HD camcorder. A standard definition camcorder will do.

But if you still want, you can use the RCA output of the WD TV player.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:51   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
In that case, you don't need a modern HD camcorder. A standard definition camcorder will do.

But if you still want, you can use the RCA output of the WD TV player.
Defintely there are plans to replace. I am just holding as much as possible, since I dont watch much of TV.
But recordings you make are priceless, which will hold all your moments to be cherished in future.
You definitely need a good camcorder for that.

Also if not on a TV you can still view them in a computing system.
The MPeg route was just to enable current day viewing.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how i put the AVCHD file from my SD card into this "player" do they have a SD card slot or a USB slot so I can just put my SD card read into them and they will take the file from the SD card?

Tsk, if this is so you have saved me a lot of effort. A link to these players would be nice.

Also does anyone know if I stick my SD card reader into a PS3 will it read AVCHD files on the SD card?
I have Xtreamer which I use to play all HD contents on my Hard Disk and Camcorder including m2ts, mkv, avi, wmv etc. It has USB input and you can connect any USB harddisk to it. It has HDMI output and handles 720p and 1080p extremely well.

Last edited by vasoo : 4th August 2010 at 21:03.
Old 13th August 2010, 03:23   #96
BHPian

Sony Camcorder, Should i go for HDD or Flash memory based

After a lot of thoughts, I am about to buy my first handycam.

But now I am super confused on whether to go with a HDD one
or a flash memory one.
As I always carry my laptop along, storage is not much of a issue if 16GB one needs to be emptied sooner than the HDD One.

Can someone please help me which one to go with.
Also one of thought i've is HDD one would need HDD replacement in a few years, is the HDD inside it is same as of our laptop ?

HDD one
DCR-SR68E : Hard Disk Drive (HDD) : Handycam Video Camera : Sony India

16GB Flash Memory Camcorder
DCR-SX63E : Flash / Memory Stick : Handycam Video Camera : Sony India

I would appreciate if any expert can help me on this issue.

I need to decide the camera in next 1-2 days else I am sure I'll spend the money on something else.
Old 13th August 2010, 06:25   #97
BHPian

The main difference between the Solid state memory and Disk is between capacity, cost and size. HDD ones have huge capacities (120GB etc), and are pretty cost effective. For similar prices, you would get a Flash memory camcorder but with much lesser sizes (32GB may be), and thus much more limited storage. However, the size is smaller and weight is lesser.

So, if you really need the size and weight advantage, and are ok with the lesser capacity, then Flash cams are good.

As far as i know, hard disks in the cams are similar to the ones in our laptops, but they may not be standard replacable ones. I have never heard of a disk being replaces on a camcorder - they seem to be quite reliable and more often the camcorder itself will be outdated in a couple of years.
Old 13th August 2010, 06:41   #98
BHPian

Thanks for suggestion, I am very inclined towards flash memory one now.

also found one nice review on youtube for SX63E and it covers up many things.

As I am not considering only storage capacity, flash memory would be handy, i am its faster than HDD in transfers, and one feature i found is direct burn to DVD so its looking promising.

Might be by evening i'll grab it. :-)
Old 13th August 2010, 07:58   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

I would prefer a flash memory based recorder, esp for the advantages the flash mem units have over disk based storage. A backup card can double up as extra storage or redundancy over the first card, plus ease of use outside the recorder itself. I think the costs would also be an advantage.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:35   #100
BHPian

Had a similar dilemma last month and sorted it out.

I prefer flash for the following reasons

- it's not a mechanical device, chances of failure are less (if you happen to drop it, for ex)
- your camcorder will weigh much less
- power consumption will be less so your battery should last longer

Only upside of HDD is the capacity. But with a 32 gig sdhc card you get 4 hrs of footage at 17 Mbps/sec and that (for me atleast) was more than sufficient.

I ended up buying Panasonic HDC-SD60 (on the way from US).

BTW, the sony model you listed is not HD. You can get a HD one in similar price range (mine cost me 400 USD and it has wide angle lens, 35x zoom, etc.).

Last edited by sureshaddagalla : 13th August 2010 at 10:37. Reason: -
Old 13th August 2010, 10:49   #101
BHPian

I have a Sony HD HDD based one and suits my laziness of synching it to my MAC.. Most of the new HDD ones are hybrid - can do solid state as well..It depends on your usage - as pointed out the HDD ones have more capacity, heavier, more prone to failure (but if you drop it, chances are the other stuff will get hurt before the HDD), cheaper?...
Old 13th August 2010, 13:23   #102
BHPian

@ghpk
I had similar dialemma when I bought my camcorder couple of months back. However, I went for HDD for it's obvious advantage of (storage and cost). Secondly, Sony Camcorders have some kind of shock-resistant body and disk (may be a marketting gimmick!), so it's got to be reliable. I would suggest you go for it.

On a related note - why ain't you considering HD (High Definition I mean) Camcorders? They are the "in" thing considering every other household now has HD TV or HD Computer monitors. Do take a look. Obviously, they are costly.. but, are future-proof.

One of the main reasons I did not consider Camcorder because their resolution did not appeal me. But, when I saw a footage of an HD Camcorder at my uncle's place, I was blown away and decided that I should have it.
The model my uncle bought in India was Sony HDR-XR150 and I bought Sony HDR-XR155E(European equivalent).
Old 14th August 2010, 00:31   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I would prefer a flash memory based recorder, esp for the advantages the flash mem units have over disk based storage. A backup card can double up as extra storage or redundancy over the first card, plus ease of use outside the recorder itself. I think the costs would also be an advantage.
Thanks Condor for another vote towards Flash memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
Had a similar dilemma last month and sorted it out.

I prefer flash for the following reasons

- it's not a mechanical device, chances of failure are less (if you happen to drop it, for ex)
- your camcorder will weigh much less
- power consumption will be less so your battery should last longer

Only upside of HDD is the capacity. But with a 32 gig sdhc card you get 4 hrs of footage at 17 Mbps/sec and that (for me atleast) was more than sufficient.

I ended up buying Panasonic HDC-SD60 (on the way from US).

BTW, the sony model you listed is not HD. You can get a HD one in similar price range (mine cost me 400 USD and it has wide angle lens, 35x zoom, etc.).
sureshaddagalla thanks for pointing out exactly, all 3 points you mentioned were deciding factor for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I have a Sony HD HDD based one and suits my laziness of synching it to my MAC.. Most of the new HDD ones are hybrid - can do solid state as well..It depends on your usage - as pointed out the HDD ones have more capacity, heavier, more prone to failure (but if you drop it, chances are the other stuff will get hurt before the HDD), cheaper?...
Yes, but I think the flash ones are the In thing now and would evolve faster then HDD ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
@ghpk
I had similar dialemma when I bought my camcorder couple of months back. However, I went for HDD for it's obvious advantage of (storage and cost). Secondly, Sony Camcorders have some kind of shock-resistant body and disk (may be a marketting gimmick!), so it's got to be reliable. I would suggest you go for it.

On a related note - why ain't you considering HD (High Definition I mean) Camcorders? They are the "in" thing considering every other household now has HD TV or HD Computer monitors. Do take a look. Obviously, they are costly.. but, are future-proof.

One of the main reasons I did not consider Camcorder because their resolution did not appeal me. But, when I saw a footage of an HD Camcorder at my uncle's place, I was blown away and decided that I should have it.
The model my uncle bought in India was Sony HDR-XR150 and I bought Sony HDR-XR155E(European equivalent).
dmplog I was keen on HD one too, but after calculating other expenses in coming days I went with SD one, I know HD quality would have been superb but I was sure i could wait a year or two for it, as its currently on premium prices.

Thanks all and Team BHP for helping me decide and becoming proud owner of Sony Handycam, DCR-SX63E

Few pics attached, Haven't used it for more than 15 mins currently, looks good for my home videos.

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00637.jpg

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00638.jpg

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00639.jpg

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00640.jpg

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00642.jpg

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00643.jpg

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00644.jpg

Name:  IMG00645.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  117.6 KB

The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs-img00646.jpg

on a sidenote, the sales guy, in fact LAD/DUDE what should i say, was too keen on making me carry the cam which was on display, I denied it and asked my money back, and asked him to call his owner whom I know personally, he then sent someone to stores and got me a Sealed Unit.
Old 13th September 2010, 07:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

Which mini HD camera to buy from US??

Hi Guys, i need to know out of the below mentioned 3 cameras, which one would be a better deal in terms of specs and quality. They are:

(1) Sony MHS-PM5K : The specs are:
Shutter Speeds : 1/15 - 1/4000
Weight (Approx.) : w/o battery: 3.9oz (110g), w battery: 4.5oz (130g)
Dimensions (Approx.) : 3/4 x 4 3/8 x 2 1/4 inch (19 x 108 x 54mm)
Focus System : Fixed Focus
Battery Type : InfoLITHIUM® with AccuPower™ Meter System (NP-BK1)
Power Requirements : 3.6V (battery pack);
Power Consumption (in Operation) : 1.9W
Quick On : Yes (Rotate Lens)
Manual / Auto Lens Cover : Lens rotates to close
LCD Type : 2.4" 4:3 panel LCD display (230K)
Media Type : Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media and SD/SDHC (Class 4) media (4GB Memory Stick included)
Still Image Mode : JPEG
Still Image Max Effective Resolution : 5038K
Video Format : MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (MP4)

(2) Samsung HMX-U20. The specs are:
Media Type: Flash card
Lens Type: Zoom lens
Optical zoom: 3 x
Maximum Aperture Range: F/3.5-6.8
Shooting Modes: Digital photo mode
Video Input: Camcorder
Display Size: 2 inches
Optical Sensor Resolution: 7.8 MP
Optical Sensor Technology: BSI-CMOS
Optical Sensor Size: 1/2.3"
Viewfinder Type: None
Audio Input: Microphone
Microphone Operation Mode: Stereo
Height: 4.1 inches
Weight: 3.9 Ounces
Depth: 0.6 inches
Width: 2.1 inches

(3) KODAK Zi8. The specs are:

Sensor type1 / 2.5-type 5 MP CMOS
Lens
  • <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="624">6.3 mm, f/2.8, fixed focus
  • 35 mm equivalent: 61 mm (1080p), 46 mm (720p/60 fps, 720p, WVGA), 42 mm (still)
Zoom4X digital
Display size2.5 in.
Storage128 MB internal memory[SIZE=1][1][/SIZE], SD/SDHC card expansion slot
Focus modesnormal, macro
Focus range
  • <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="649">normal: 100 cm–infinity
  • macro: 15 cm
White balanceauto
File formats
  • <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="661">video: H.264 (MOV), AAC LC
  • still: JPEG
Capture modes
  • <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="669">1080p (1920 × 1080, 30 fps) <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="670">720p/60 fps (1280 × 720, 60 fps) <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="671">720p (1280 × 720, 30 fps) <LI class="" jQuery1284339787734="672">WVGA (848 × 480, 30 fps)
  • Still (5.3 MP, 16:9 widescreen, interpolated)
Microphoneyes (monoaural)
Speakeryes
I/O interfaceUSB 2.0 (high speed), AV out, HDMI, DC in, external microphone jack (support stereo)
Tripod mount1/4 in. standard
PowerKODAK Li-Ion Rechargeable Digital Camera Battery KLIC-7004, AC adapter
Dimensions2.4 × 4.5 × 0.9 in.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:06   #105
BHPian

Quote:
@navin - AFAIK the ps3 does not plays m2ts files natively and you need to use tools like m2tsconverter etc to play m2ts files on the ps3
As pointed out by vasoo you can use media players like Xtreamer or WD Live TV to directly play such content on your TV though not many support SD card input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I have Xtreamer which I use to play all HD contents on my Hard Disk and Camcorder including m2ts, mkv, avi, wmv etc. It has USB input and you can connect any USB harddisk to it. It has HDMI output and handles 720p and 1080p extremely well.
I want to buy the Xtreamer and wanted to know how does it compare with the WD TV Live and how is the UI for the Xtreamer

peace,
~kg

Most Viewed