Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 13:41   #1546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra
Are you using both connection from same box - HDMI and RCA's?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, i was using both the connections unknowingly.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:58   #1547
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

I was looking to purchase the TS+ box but was told it only comes in the HD+ avatar now. There was a 6-month EMI with no extra charges, so went ahead and ordered the TS HD+ box last week. Now the issue is that it is currently fitted to a 21" CRT since I wanted to use it only for the recording feature for the next couple of months befor plunging for LCD/LED or whatever in 42".

But I noticed that the viewing experience has deteriorated and now I'm thinking to shift it to another room which has an old 32" Sony Bravia (don't think its full HD though). Being the noob I am in these things, I'm not sure it will help.
Old 7th September 2011, 02:49   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
so went ahead and ordered the TS HD+ box last week. Now the issue is that it is currently fitted to a 21" CRT.

But I noticed that the viewing experience has deteriorated and now I'm thinking to shift it to another room which has an old 32" Sony Bravia (don't think its full HD though). Being the noob I am in these things, I'm not sure it will help.
The HD+ box takes two cables one for your tv and the other for tuner connected to the hard disk for recording. There are two ways to do this
1. Run two cables from the dish to the HD+ box.
2. Split the single cable in to two using a splitter or a switch.

Depending on how it has been done at your place you need to check for loose connections or simply badly crimped wire end connectors, quality of the splitter used OR the switch having gone bad since it is an electronic component and the pcb inside might fry due to thunderstorms or the 12vDC adaptor may have issues.

At my house we have split the original cable using a four way splitter. One incoming port and four outgoing ones of which two go the HD+ box, one goes to a SD STB in another room and one terminal is spare. Absolutely no issues with PQ whatsoever.
Old 13th September 2011, 20:33   #1549
BHPian

facing issue with SUN DTH. stay away

i had registered a complaint on 30/08/2011 13648106173 on non reception of signals. it was told that the complaint will be attended in 24 to 48 hours.

nothing happened for 7 days!! called customer care, they took a new complaint this time against non-attendance of the earlier complaint. 13695965294. requested another 24 to 48 golden hours.

restless waiting of 48 hours... the world hasn't changed...

contacted them again on 09/09/2011. The executive made me to play twisters with my remote. ended up in no signal error. she told this needs to be attended by an authorised service engineer. ; pricelss invention after 10 days!!

i have been given with a number told as my local distributor, 94486xxxx. When called, has got another number! 080 6000xxxx.

magic... when called on the given number, the computer welcomed me to TATA SKY. i went clueless, looked at my bottle and glass. Untouched...

called customer care centre again. this time another number is been given. 821 425xxxx. sad that he told he has divorced the SUN long back. Now he only sells recharge vouchers. but he helped me with another number. 80888xxxxx.

switched off till date!!!

at again looked at my bottle and glass. no finger marks!!!

i have decided to gift my SUN DTH to my maid who was drastically asking for a salary increment.

the file is now closed. searching for a New service provider. please help guys, the most malayalam channels, HD, cheaper and on...

Last edited by nishad.hameed : 13th September 2011 at 20:34. Reason: phone numbers
Old 13th September 2011, 22:21   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed
i had registered a complaint on 30/08/2011 13648106173 on non reception of signals. it was told that the complaint will be attended in 24 to 48 hours.
Pity on you pal. I have been in this issue once when sun migrated to a diff satellite. Asking the technician to come home to align the dish went to deaf ears. But after couple of days, issue got sorted out by itself. Till now, no problems.

If you are in tamilnadu, and need of regional channels, sun is the only answer.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:20   #1551
BHPian

Re: facing issue with SUN DTH. stay away

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post

nothing happened for 7 days!! called customer care, they took a new complaint this time against non-attendance of the earlier complaint. 13695965294. requested another 24 to 48 golden hours.

restless waiting of 48 hours... the world hasn't changed...

contacted them again on 09/09/2011. The executive made me to play twisters with my remote. ended up in no signal error. she told this needs to be attended by an authorised service engineer. ; pricelss invention after 10 days!!

i have been given with a number told as my local distributor, 94486xxxx. When called, has got another number! 080 6000xxxx.

magic... when called on the given number, the computer welcomed me to TATA SKY. i went clueless, looked at my bottle and glass. Untouched...

called customer care centre again. this time another number is been given. 821 425xxxx. sad that he told he has divorced the SUN long back. Now he only sells recharge vouchers. but he helped me with another number. 80888xxxxx.

switched off till date!!!

at again looked at my bottle and glass. no finger marks!!!

i have decided to gift my SUN DTH to my maid who was drastically asking for a salary increment.

the file is now closed. searching for a New service provider. please help guys, the most malayalam channels, HD, cheaper and on...
Why don't you try Airtel? I have it and their response is quite acceptable. I have heard Tata Sky is the best though when it comes to customer service.

Both have decent number of HD channels, and I felt Airtel was cheaper for the set of channels that I watch the most ( Tamil regional + english movies + sports) and hence went for it.

If I had gone through your experience, the bottle would have gone empty long back! I am amazed at your will power.
Old 7th October 2011, 13:00   #1552
BHPian

Anyone here has tried Hathway HD services in Bangalore. I have been waiting for a while for this, but the cable guy has been shifting dates for long. So im in a dilemma now, whether to wait for the Hathway HD or go for any other DTH.
Old 7th October 2011, 16:06   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a Sony 40" KLV-40BX420 alongwith a Sony Hometheatre DAV-TZ210 for 55k last week.Then upgraded my TataSKY to HD and whoa,what a difference.I'm loving it.I'm not a techno buff and am happy with my setup. The only glitch i had was that HD channels vanished after 2 days and the call center had no clue as to what had happened.They kept on saying that its already subscribed.Finally it was resolved after a day when the service chap came and talked to them after seeing the problem.As of now,i'm enjoying my movies.
Old 9th October 2011, 20:41   #1554
BHPian

I was using tatasky for past 4+ years.
Now it is forcing me to quit it as they have removed 2 malayalam channels (Amrita TV and DD) and removing Kairali channel next week.
So the remaining channels will be just 4.

I'm looking for the best option to switch.

Please suggest me the best one based on your usage.

My critierias are:

1.Max malayalam channels (or at least all popular ones --8+)
2. Hindi soap+movies (star,zee,sony and their movie channels.)
3.English news (desi+cnn+bbc)
4. English movies n few entertainment(HBO+star+axn+zee cafe+discovery+NGC+animal planet+TLC)

5.Sport (only add-on ,removal basis.I will use it only on event based)

After googling and comparisons Videocon d2h seems good one to fit my choice.

As many of the TBHP mallus also doing similar switch from Tatasky, I'd like to hear from all of you,before taking a final call,when my last recharge finishes.

Also,is there any formalities to cancel the current tata subscription? Do we need to intimate them and return anything? I think only subscriber card needs to be returned, as the STB and other stuff is purchased initially.

I couldn't find any specific termination steps in Tata sky website.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:20   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Now it is forcing me to quit it as they have removed 2 malayalam channels (Amrita TV and DD) and removing Kairali channel next week.

I'm looking for the best option to switch.

Please suggest me the best one based on your usage.
I am also in the same boat. My annual pack will expire on Jan 2012 and will be moving to Videocon d2h HD. I was upset that TataSky was not providing ESPN-HD. So the termination of Malayalam channels gave me the boost to switch the service provider. I had already informed TataSky CC regarding this.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 10th October 2011, 12:40   #1556
BHPian

What is happening with Tata Sky, why they are removing channels instead of adding ? Also i dont see new additions of channels compared to others.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:03   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
What is happening with Tata Sky, why they are removing channels instead of adding ? Also i dont see new additions of channels compared to others.
,they first took Lumiere movies off air and now they have taken UTV World Movies also of air.These channels had a few great movies coming up now and then.I wonder whats wrong with TataSKY.I guess its something to do with the available slots as they have added UTV Stars and Sony Mix,2 channels off air and 2 added.I wonder when will they add more HD channels.
Old 10th October 2011, 13:15   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am also in the same boat.
Check out the offers from Airtel Digital TV. They have priced their entry level south packs very competitively and have the regional channels you are looking for before deciding on other offers.
Old 10th October 2011, 21:04   #1559
BHPian

SUN seems like having the most number of regional channels. They even air reporter and amritha channel. But beware, the service attendance is catastrophic.
Old 10th October 2011, 21:39   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
They have limited space to play with. Their transponder is full. They occupy some channels ,just for their promotion (showcase promo,various active stuff,few 3-4 hour only bhakti channels etc.). They are waiting for next INSAT satellite launch, and not going aggressive for new mpeg 4 technology ,which others are using.(which gives additional compression and room).

What I understood is that for HD channles they need more bandwidth. So,they may get space only if they remove couple of SD channels.

But,just because they can't switch to new technology (huge cost) or get additional transponders from others, why we should suffer?

I think videocon d2h looks promising,as they are the only one with unlocked STBs (a new requirement for porting --suggested by TRAI). I've seen confirmation from many, that they are able to tune DD direct and other FTA channles on that.(of course with a dish and LNB).

Anyway,I'll keep an eye on this thread to see other suggestion.I've one month time before I run out of last recharge in Tata sky.

Most Viewed