Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 17:41   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Universal Remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Thanks. Can this operate my WD Media Player(Model WDBABF0000NBK)?
You will have to make it learn the commands from the WD's Original remote, once done it will.

It can learn commands from any remote, for any appliance.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 23:26   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Looks like Tata sky is closing down shops in Kerala In 1 week number of channels has gone down to 4 from 11.
Old 16th October 2011, 19:23   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Looks like Tata sky is closing down shops in Kerala In 1 week number of channels has gone down to 4 from 11.
It was 7 earlier.Now dropped 3. We discussed this few posts back.
Tatasky is playing around with removing and adding channels for some time,as they are not buying new transponders.
They are waiting for ISRO's proposed launch next year.
Old 17th October 2011, 14:18   #1579
BHPian

Looking at alternatives to Reliance. Was thinking about Hathway - i think they are launching HD box within this month. How does Hathway compare to the other DTH providers. I have a LCD and thus concerned about PQ.

Also another talk is going in our apartment to consolidate DTH providers - Does anybody have a multi-dwelling unit setup here? Want to check that is the quality of reception any better? (owing to larger dish) and any change in rain / weather interruptions? What offers do the companies give? We have only 10 units in our building.

~maniac
Old 17th October 2011, 19:47   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac
Looking at alternatives to Reliance. Was thinking about Hathway - i think they are launching HD box within this month. How does Hathway compare to the other DTH providers. I have a LCD and thus concerned about PQ.

Also another talk is going in our apartment to consolidate DTH providers - Does anybody have a multi-dwelling unit setup here? Want to check that is the quality of reception any better? (owing to larger dish) and any change in rain / weather interruptions? What offers do the companies give? We have only 10 units in our building.

~maniac
I have been using a Hathway set top box since 3 years, quite happy with the picture quality, I felt it's much better than the Tata sky DTH which I've experienced at my native.

The Hathway cable guy in our apartment gave me a short demo of their HD box last week. Looks good, the only familiar HD channel I found is Movies Now. Seems they will add more HD channels before they launch on diwali. The HD box has a USB port to which he said we can connect a hdd and can record programs, it seems. Will update further details once he gets me a box next week.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 11:07   #1581
BHPian

I have a tatasky HD+ box, a 46inch Philips HD LCD tv and a Philips home theater system. There is a fiber optic connectivity on the HT however i am not sure if it is there on the TV and the HD box. If it is there on the HD box/TV can i use a toslink cable for better sound via my HT?
Old 18th October 2011, 11:26   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I have been using a Hathway set top box since 3 years, quite happy with the picture quality, I felt it's much better than the Tata sky DTH which I've experienced at my native.

The Hathway cable guy in our apartment gave me a short demo of their HD box last week. Looks good, the only familiar HD channel I found is Movies Now. Seems they will add more HD channels before they launch on diwali. The HD box has a USB port to which he said we can connect a hdd and can record programs, it seems. Will update further details once he gets me a box next week.
Cool. Thanks for the info. This means the launch is imminent. Did the person have any pricing information? Also are there any key channels missing in Hathway? I am more interested in national channels and rarely see any regional channel.

Thanks

~maniac
Old 18th October 2011, 11:43   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
My critierias are:

1.Max malayalam channels (or at least all popular ones --8+)
2. Hindi soap+movies (star,zee,sony and their movie channels.)
3.English news (desi+cnn+bbc)
4. English movies n few entertainment(HBO+star+axn+zee cafe+discovery+NGC+animal planet+TLC)

5.Sport (only add-on ,removal basis.I will use it only on event based)

After googling and comparisons Videocon d2h seems good one to fit my choice.
Seems our prefered channels are almost the same.

Have been using asianet cable,but since they have stopped espn/star was thinking of going for either tata sky or airtel. But after reading your post am thinking of videocon/airtel.

Does airtel/videocon allow sports channels to be added for just a month?tata sky does, for some others min 3months subscription is a must hence the query.

By the way, is videocon dth good clarity wise?

Last edited by revintup : 18th October 2011 at 11:45.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:48   #1584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I have a tatasky HD+ box, a 46inch Philips HD LCD tv and a Philips home theater system. There is a fiber optic connectivity on the HT however i am not sure if it is there on the TV and the HD box. If it is there on the HD box/TV can i use a toslink cable for better sound via my HT?
Actually, it is a myth that optical fiber (toslink) is better than co-ax to connect A/V receiver and the source. Lot of experts say co-ax is better. Makes no difference, as most of us can't make out any difference.

Just connect your A/V Receiver and Tatasky HD+ box using either co-ax or toslink, whichever option is availble, use it. BTW, why do you want toslink option on the TV?
Old 18th October 2011, 12:32   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Does airtel/videocon allow sports channels to be added for just a month?tata sky does, for some others min 3months subscription is a must hence the query.

By the way, is videocon dth good clarity wise?
Airtel allows you to subscribe for sports channel for a single month. You would be able to pick and choose as per your convenience.
I have been using Airtel HD connection for around a year now. Amazing clarity and awesome service. Everything is online, starting from booking, payment, recharge, package selection, top up. an on top of that there is a single sign in option for other Airtel connections as well (Mobile / Landline) which can be integrated with DTH account.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 12:57   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
Airtel allows you to subscribe for sports channel for a single month. You would be able to pick and choose as per your convenience.
Airtel it is then. Love the a la carte scheme. Plus one month sports means we can subscribe as per tournament schedules. Simply put, awesome.

Thanks a lot buddy
Old 18th October 2011, 14:31   #1587
BHPian

I understand that Airtel (DTH) service is awful in Bangalore.
Can some one throw some light on this?

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2011, 15:04   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I understand that Airtel (DTH) service is awful in Bangalore.
Can some one throw some light on this?

Thanks!
I am an Airtel subscriber and I'm quite happy with the no of channels available and their quality. But their customer service is definitely awful

Most of them (atleast the ones I have interacted with) do not understand English properly and mess up my requests and what not.

15 days back I just called up to enquire about their new All-round pack (similar to mega pack in Tatasky) and the customer service associate promptly deactivated my HD pack. This when I did not even make any request to do anything. All I did was to ask him about the new pack. And he had the audacity to tell me that I had asked for the deactivation. When I asked him to reinstate the HD pack, he then said that the old HD pack (Rs.40 pm) was not available and I had to take the new HD pack (Rs.70 pm).

After umpteen calls and umpteen minutes of holding the phone, I got through to a senior associate. Even this senior associate could not speak in English and only when I spoke in Hindi,he started to answer me properly. He said that he will 'analyse' my request and send it to the back-end team to reinstate my package. I did change my package to the All-round pack the next day though (before the earlier complaint was cleared).
Old 18th October 2011, 16:11   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I am an Airtel subscriber and I'm quite happy with the no of channels available and their quality. But their customer service is definitely awful

Most of them (atleast the ones I have interacted with) do not understand English properly and mess up my requests and what not.

15 days back I just called up to enquire about their new All-round pack (similar to mega pack in Tatasky) and the customer service associate promptly deactivated my HD pack. This when I did not even make any request to do anything. All I did was to ask him about the new pack. And he had the audacity to tell me that I had asked for the deactivation. When I asked him to reinstate the HD pack, he then said that the old HD pack (Rs.40 pm) was not available and I had to take the new HD pack (Rs.70 pm).

After umpteen calls and umpteen minutes of holding the phone, I got through to a senior associate. Even this senior associate could not speak in English and only when I spoke in Hindi,he started to answer me properly. He said that he will 'analyse' my request and send it to the back-end team to reinstate my package. I did change my package to the All-round pack the next day though (before the earlier complaint was cleared).
Yes, i agree with Airtelcustomer care being the worst in India. I disconnected my Mobile and landline due to the same reason and moved on to vadaphone and bsnl. I don't think their airtel digital is any better. Airtel is going from bad to worse.
Old 18th October 2011, 22:30   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes, i agree with Airtelcustomer care being the worst in India. I disconnected my Mobile and landline due to the same reason and moved on to vadaphone and bsnl. I don't think their airtel digital is any better. Airtel is going from bad to worse.
I think,of late airtel outsourced their CC operation to some other party.
It was working well for me.But recently, they made big mess by clubbing my accounts,when I took a data card. Now some part of my mobile bill appears in data card and vice versa. Even after clear emails , they don't do things properly.

So,I don't want to try another Airtel service.Also because of heavy load, their online account portal,doesn't work from last week of everymonth to first week of next month (when everyone login to check bills and pay).

Thats why I thought of trying Videocon. Booked it online, after checking many other satellite forums.Lets see how long it takes.

Most Viewed