Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2011, 00:35   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

WOW! At last ESPN HD added in TataSky HD. Stunning quality. Don't know whether it will continue after Indian Grand Prix.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 30th October 2011, 08:51   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
WOW! At last ESPN HD added in TataSky HD. Stunning quality. Don't know whether it will continue after Indian Grand Prix.

Cheers!

Vinu
saw qualifying this morning on ESPN HD and WOW. why would it not continue?
Old 30th October 2011, 09:06   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
saw qualifying this morning on ESPN HD and WOW. why would it not continue?
Beacuse Ten Sports HD and Neo Sports HD are listed in TataSky on event basis. If ESPN HD is listed just for Indian Grand Prix, then. TataSky customer care associate confirmed that ESPN HD will stay, but I have my doubts

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 30th October 2011, 17:52   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Yes, most Sports channel are event based and only during the event are telecasted in HD. Tata Sky has been left behind in the HD race as most other's have added the newest Colors HD and History HD apart from Movies NOW etc.

Do compare the channels and pricing before choosing your vendor.
Old 31st October 2011, 08:11   #1610
BHPian

videocon hd is just awesome, I would highly recommend it.
Old 31st October 2011, 10:53   #1611
BHPian

Got my Videocon HD yesterday morning. Amazing picture quality, and you have all the HD channels available - 12 of them. If placed on my balcony, i wasn't getting a good satellite signal. So they placed it on the 10th floor of my apartment, and pulled cable down to the 2nd floor. 12 meters of cable is included in the installation , rest you have to pay. So i had to pay 312/- for the 26 meters of cable laid ( 12 rs per meter) . The techicians who came did a nice and neat job as well. Overall, a good experience with Videocon. Hope it stays like that in coming days.

PS: Anyone aware of the installation code of the unit, 1234 does not work on mine.
Old 31st October 2011, 16:33   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Got my Videocon HD yesterday morning. Amazing picture quality, and you have all the HD channels available - 12 of them. If placed on my balcony, i wasn't getting a good satellite signal. So they placed it on the 10th floor of my apartment, and pulled cable down to the 2nd floor. 12 meters of cable is included in the installation , rest you have to pay. So i had to pay 312/- for the 26 meters of cable laid ( 12 rs per meter) . The techicians who came did a nice and neat job as well. Overall, a good experience with Videocon. Hope it stays like that in coming days.

PS: Anyone aware of the installation code of the unit, 1234 does not work on mine.
The code is asked twice.
First time: enter the NUMBERS 1234.

Second time: enter 4th, 6th, 8th & 10th DIGITs of your 11 digit Serial number on STB box.
Old 1st November 2011, 15:55   #1613
BHPian

Got Videocon DTH connections today.
We have 3 TV's at home, so i had to take multi connections. 1 HD and 2 normal(All 3 done with the same Dish receiver).The installation was done real fast and real neat. Loved the way the customer support interacted and answered all my queries. Booked last evening. They came at 930 today morning and the install was done in an hour's time.

All the HD channels are simply wow! I ended up watching almost the entire Indian GP again on ESPN HD
One problem i have though, I am not really satisfied with the Quality of the other channels (non HD) on the HD connection.
These channels look pretty good on the 2 normal connections, However, on the HD connection, I like only the HD channels and the rest don't seem to have the clarity i was hoping for (I had connected a normal cable connection before and its almost comparable to the same quality)

I am still wondering what could be wrong. Since the 2 other normal connections have good clarity on non-HD channels , I am ruling out the problem with the way the dish is mounted.
The only problem can be with the settop box on the HD connection or the way its connected (The normal connections are done through the AV cable and the HD is done through HDMI ) Can that be a problem ?

Last edited by Kimified : 1st November 2011 at 15:58.
Old 1st November 2011, 16:01   #1614
Team-BHP Support

I have a question about these DTH boxes with recording capability.
I am wondering lets say I set recording time for night, in the morning.
Then power goes off for few hours during the day.
When the unit comes back on, will it remember the programmed settings?

What happens if the recording is momentarily interrupted due to power failure, will it start recording again?

Last but not the least, what happens if two programs which I want to record air at the same time. Can it record two parallel streams?
Old 1st November 2011, 17:14   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a question about these DTH boxes with recording capability.
I am wondering lets say I set recording time for night, in the morning.
Then power goes off for few hours during the day.
When the unit comes back on, will it remember the programmed settings?

What happens if the recording is momentarily interrupted due to power failure, will it start recording again?

Last but not the least, what happens if two programs which I want to record air at the same time. Can it record two parallel streams?
tsk1979, I have a tata sky HD+ recorder. When we program channels to record, they are saved and done even if we switch off the set top box after setting and switch it on just before the recording time begins.

The tata sky HD+ recorder comes with dual tuner and hence we can record two programs simultaneously at the same time. However, when dual recording takes place at the same time, we cannot watch a 3rd channel in TV. We will have to limit ourselves to watching either one of the two channels being recorded
Old 1st November 2011, 17:32   #1616
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
tsk1979, I have a tata sky HD+ recorder. When we program channels to record, they are saved and done even if we switch off the set top box after setting and switch it on just before the recording time begins.

The tata sky HD+ recorder comes with dual tuner and hence we can record two programs simultaneously at the same time. However, when dual recording takes place at the same time, we cannot watch a 3rd channel in TV. We will have to limit ourselves to watching either one of the two channels being recorded
What happens if recording is interrupted due to power failure? For example our building has generator coverage, so when power goes there is about 20 second interruption. Does the box resume recording?
Old 1st November 2011, 17:35   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
The code is asked twice.
First time: enter the NUMBERS 1234.

Second time: enter 4th, 6th, 8th & 10th DIGITs of your 11 digit Serial number on STB box.
Is it serial number of STB or smartcard subscription number?
I think its smart card no.

UPDATE:-Checked on my HD STB (model 2011).Its 1234 for entering into user settings and general installation menu. Then for unlocking satellite related area, you need t enter 4th/6th/8th and 10th digits on your smartcard (subscription number).

In older models, they used to allow FTA channel tuning.But it seems in new box, you can't do scanning for FTA channels.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2011 at 14:07. Reason: Editing your post as per the request
Old 1st November 2011, 17:44   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Got Videocon DTH connections today.
We have 3 TV's at home, so i had to take multi connections. 1 HD and 2 normal(All 3 done with the same Dish receiver).The installation was done real fast and real neat. Loved the way the customer support interacted and answered all my queries. Booked last evening. They came at 930 today morning and the install was done in an hour's time.

All the HD channels are simply wow! I ended up watching almost the entire Indian GP again on ESPN HD
One problem i have though, I am not really satisfied with the Quality of the other channels (non HD) on the HD connection.
These channels look pretty good on the 2 normal connections, However, on the HD connection, I like only the HD channels and the rest don't seem to have the clarity i was hoping for (I had connected a normal cable connection before and its almost comparable to the same quality)

I am still wondering what could be wrong. Since the 2 other normal connections have good clarity on non-HD channels , I am ruling out the problem with the way the dish is mounted.
The only problem can be with the settop box on the HD connection or the way its connected (The normal connections are done through the AV cable and the HD is done through HDMI ) Can that be a problem ?
This is the major issue with HD STBs. They cannot provide a decent quality of SD pictures. I had moved to Airtel HD and looking at the SD pictures came running back to Reliance HD.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 18:35   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This is the major issue with HD STBs. They cannot provide a decent quality of SD pictures. I had moved to Airtel HD and looking at the SD pictures came running back to Reliance HD.
Oh. I was not aware of it Thanks for letting me know. Whats the solution now ?
I don't think compromising on majority of SD channels just for the sake of a few HD ones makes sense. Atleast for now. Parents use that TV and watch majorly Kannada channels. It irritates seeing the same clarity after you ended up paying so much for it.

Is there no work around ? Will the quality be the same when connected through the AV cable also ?. I will ask them to provide me another normal SD STB for free and connect the HD STB only when i need it.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:46   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What happens if recording is interrupted due to power failure? For example our building has generator coverage, so when power goes there is about 20 second interruption. Does the box resume recording?
The box resumes recoding when the power comes back on. I took had the same issue and to fix this I hooked up a UPS to the box.

-- Wind

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks