Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 21:04   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
update for people using sky hd+. Tata Sky has launched something like netflix with HD+ boxes. Internet connection with minimum 512kbps speed is required for the same, a host of titles in English, Hindi and regional languages are available apart from music concerts and popular soaps. No charges for month of December but would be charged 25 per title from January onwards.

If you are the one to switch on your TV today morning, then you would have noticed the software upgrade, which activates the LAN port for internet connection.

All the titles are available under VoD.

Tata Sky launches VoD service on Sky+ HD platform

I saw a software update over the weekend (don't remember whether it was Sat/Sun) - was wondering what it was.

This is great - will test it once I reach home tonight.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:28   #1652
BHPian

I saw this software update today morning 7AM on my TataSky HD+. I'll check this service in the evening for VoD service.
Looks good if not stunning.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:54   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I saw a software update over the weekend (don't remember whether it was Sat/Sun) - was wondering what it was.

This is great - will test it once I reach home tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I saw this software update today morning 7AM on my TataSky HD+. I'll check this service in the evening for VoD service.
Looks good if not stunning.
I checked it and it is working fine. There are mostly hindi titles as of now and content from channels like NDTV, Sony and Channel V. I downloaded this movie Company just to check, and with 512 kbps connection and simultaneous downloads running, the download is done overnight, which is cool.

I like it.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:57   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked it and it is working fine. There are mostly hindi titles as of now and content from channels like NDTV, Sony and Channel V. I downloaded this movie Company just to check, and with 512 kbps connection and simultaneous downloads running, the download is done overnight, which is cool.

I like it.

there is no update on the official website.

how does it work? do you guys connect it to the router and then some menu option on settings?
Old 6th December 2011, 12:05   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
there is no update on the official website.

how does it work? do you guys connect it to the router and then some menu option on settings?

Connect the LAN cable from the STB's rear to the router.

You will have to configure the router to connect to the internet, I am not too sure if this is possible if you connect to the internet from keying in username and password from your laptop.

To check if your STB connected to the network, go to Organizer->System Settings-> Ip Config.

You could also test your connection from that screen.

Yes, even I am amazed there is nothing on the website, but it is updated here- More-TataSky Unlimited

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Last edited by anilisanil : 6th December 2011 at 12:07.
anilisanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 13:07   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Connect the LAN cable from the STB's rear to the router.

You will have to configure the router to connect to the internet, I am not too sure if this is possible if you connect to the internet from keying in username and password from your laptop.

To check if your STB connected to the network, go to Organizer->System Settings-> Ip Config.

You could also test your connection from that screen.

Yes, even I am amazed there is nothing on the website, but it is updated here- More-TataSky Unlimited

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Their marketing department has to be just incompetent - they do a press release but there is nothing on the Website !

I'll try your suggestions in the evening. I have an Airtel Broadband connection at home, so I don't think LAN should be a problem (except for the cabling), but settings may be a challenge. Let's see.
Old 6th December 2011, 22:59   #1657
BHPian

Just managed to setup my Tata sky HD+ to download movies using Video on Demand. It is pretty simple actually

Procedure is clearly given in the link provided by anilisanil

1. Connect ethernet port from modem to the ethernet port of set top box

2. Ensure your internet connection is powered on Switch on your Tata Sky+ HD Press organizer on your remote> system settings> IP diagnostics screen Look for IP connection status- Successful/ Failed Press the green button your remote to do an IP diagnostic test If the status is Connected/ Successful your box is connected to the internet

3. Ensure your internet connection is powered on Switch on your Tata Sky+ HD Press Showcase on your remote Select VoD Video on Demand View listings under VoD and select your content to download
Old 7th December 2011, 17:13   #1658
BHPian

This VOD for Tata SKy+ looks good, i have the norml HD box and this might be a good time to upgrade to the TSHD+. Is there any HD content available and can we export the the downloaded content to a usb to used anywhere else. Or does this follow the same principle of needing to be watch from the STB. Also is there a WIFI option.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:55   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
This VOD for Tata SKy+ looks good, i have the norml HD box and this might be a good time to upgrade to the TSHD+. Is there any HD content available and can we export the the downloaded content to a usb to used anywhere else. Or does this follow the same principle of needing to be watch from the STB. Also is there a WIFI option.
Unfortunately, all the answers to your questions are No. :(

But I think TSHD+ comes with a HDD of 500 GB (or is it 320?) in any case you will have to download a lot of content (in SD) to fill that up.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 00:25   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I think TSHD+ comes with a HDD of 500 GB (or is it 320?) in any case you will have to download a lot of content (in SD) to fill that up.

It is supposed to be 500GB but I have my doubts that it may not even be 250GB as it fills up very quickly (mix of HD +SD) and then the worst part is that it overwrites without warning that it (disc) is close to full etc etc.
Old 8th December 2011, 00:53   #1661
BHPian

I checked my Airtel login and found that Airtel has launched a new package called 'Magnum HD standard pack' priced at Rs. 580

The packages has 263 channels including 12 HD channels. All channels available on Airtel are available in this package.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:02   #1662
BHPian

Guys, I have some sad news to share :(

Day before yesterday, I came back home to find out that my tata sky HD+ set-top box 'fried' my 42' Plasma and my BR home theatre system - all connected through HDMI. Another casualty was a standard TS STB, but luckily it was connected by an a/v cable so that saved me a TV.

Apparently, there was some power surge through the dish(?!) and that meant the STBs got fried and took the HDMI connected buddies along with it. I feel devastated, absolutely gutted. Luckily, warranty still covers STBs and the HT.. but TV is more than a year old and would need repairs of more than 15k :( (some plate needs replacing)

The interesting thing is.. I am not alone. Couple of months ago, my friend met with similar fate, when his TS HD+ STB fried his TV and HT. But he didn't lose much sleep over it, as everything damaged was covered under warranty.

Now since its not a rare occurance, I am furious at TATA Sky for not having any safeguard mechanism that would stop this from happening, or at least not affect other connected devices. There is a definite problem with the boxes or the dish/wiring and I was just unlucky to be among the initial few who got to bear the brunt of it all.

I intend to get my TV repaired ASAP and get on with it, but I think I'll still drag them to court to cover my damages, or at least get them to own-up to it.

P.S. - No other electric/electronic items were harmed, so no question of a power line/voltage fluctuation issue. Also, all the devices were on stand-by when this happened.

Last edited by Monaro : 9th December 2011 at 13:06.
Monaro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 14:29   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon
I checked my Airtel login and found that Airtel has launched a new package called 'Magnum HD standard pack' priced at Rs. 580

The packages has 263 channels including 12 HD channels. All channels available on Airtel are available in this package.
It's been there for a couple of months now, it was called the all round pack I guess.
Old 9th December 2011, 15:12   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post

That's pretty expensive. I have a Videocon D2H and i have gone for the Platinum HD pack, which gives me about 314 channels including 12 HD ones. And i pay only 400 + tax / month.
Old 11th December 2011, 01:15   #1665
Senior - BHPian

VoD on Tata Sky+ HD

Good news for TSky+ HD subscribers. Get ready for the VoD.
I'm sure you all may have watched the TV AD on this. Just thought of going thru some faqs and giving it a try so I connected an ethernet cable to my STB and thats all it needed, I could see VoD and some categories that they have started with for now.

It doesnt have wireless capabilites, as we know that the STB has got ethernet port (not even sure if its GBit port or not), thats the one they are using now to get the movies downloaded via the ISP you are using, at your cost (data).

For now, they have a bunch channel content for past 5 days, some concerts and a bunch of hindi movies on offer, they may get more content. I was happy to see some old movies on the list and added it to the download queue, but I also see an expiry date after a month or less, so it will expire after a month I guess.

Also see that the download over my 2mbps connection is slow, not so fast for this SD content they have.

Just give it a try, its free until December 2011. Hopefully Tsky comes with some interesting package on VoD. I can record the TV programs anyways just fine, it will be for the movies, old hindi and some interesting english movies in HD content will be a good option if they price it right..
HD, DVR, Tata Sky+ HD Guide

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks