Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 14:08   #1711
BHPian

Airtel HD dth box Update lands me in problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
My Airtel DTH HD interface changed suddenly today.
- They have changed the font and the look of the user interface. Looks much cleaner and crisper now.
- It even shows a 'recording' function now (mine is not DVR)...checked it up and lo and behold I can record if I have a 8GB USB drive (there's another option with 80GB USB).
- Zee TV HD has been included in the HD list (I am yet to ADD it).
- The menu no longer shows the little box at top right corner which allowed a preview of the running program on the selected channel.

Anything else that I missed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Thats in preparation of the VoD service and enabling USB for recording, as I posted before.

Apart from the smooth interface, the firmware release 402 :

- Corrects the sound level differences between HD(Dolby 5.1) and non-HD channels.
- The Genre (Green) button lets you filter the channels (as it says:News, Movies, HD etc)
- Incase of STB power reset, now you no longer come back to the last viewed channel, it takes you to the ch.100 by default, which is bad since it was a great feature in earlier version 301.
- Recording for Non-HD DVR enabled through USB, needs a recording remote + >8 GB drive to record onto.
- Noticed some Pixelation in Star Gold HD channel, might be a one-off signal loss, otherwise will need another release to correct.
- Signal strength and Quality has improved (as displayed in the menu).
My Airtel HD DTH box also did show some update download in progress but it seems to have got corrupt. Now it does not switch on properly. After many tries it does come on, shows update download, and comes to an input showing 00000-00000 x and a 0.J prompt after 3 minutes and waits. After this if i switch off and on many times, it comes back normally and stays on with the normal viewing menu. Post a power cycle the same story repeats.

A service engineer said i have to change the HD box but i sent him away. Right now the box is working past this circus.

Can someone point me to any difference in updated versions or post images of their current updated version for comparison please? Below are the images of the details on my box with the specific id's removed. Thank you!

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01589.jpg
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01590.jpg
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01591.jpg
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01592.jpg
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01593.jpg
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01594.jpg
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01595.jpg
Old 17th March 2012, 16:59   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Re: Airtel HD dth box Update lands me in problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
My Airtel HD DTH box also did show some update download in progress but it seems to have got corrupt. Now it does not switch on properly. After many tries it does come on, shows update download, and comes to an input showing 00000-00000 x and a 0.J prompt after 3 minutes and waits. After this if i switch off and on many times, it comes back normally and stays on with the normal viewing menu. Post a power cycle the same story repeats.
From the screens you posted, I can see you are still on ver 304 and if I am not wrong on a Huawei HD STB. Please check the back panel of your STB to ascertain that its a Huawei HD STB and then follow the procedure below.

- Switch ON the STB and TV and ensure that the TV is projecting Airtel channel.

- Switch OFF the Power to the STB from the Electric Power switch (not through your remote). Do NOT switch off the TV.

- Keep the STB remote in hand

- Now Switch ON the Power to the STB from the Electric Power switch and wait for " Please wait Initialising..." Message.

- Once this message is displayed immediately press "Exit" Button on the STB remote Twice followed by "2465" . i.e. "Exit" + "Exit" + 2 + 4 + 6 + 5

This should start the update again. It will take 10-12 min to update, let it update and then it will restart again.

Disclaimer:

- If your ROM is bad, reflashing(updating) it might render your STB not usable and you might have to replace your STB, as the enginner said, therefore follow the above steps at your own risk.

- If ONLY the firmware is corrupt, then the above steps will update it and the STB will work flawlessly.

- The current update is only for Huawei HD STB, dont try this for any other STB.

- Ensure that there is no power outage during the firmware update.
Old 17th March 2012, 20:28   #1713
BHPian

I'm really grateful for your reply and clearcut directions.

Quote:
- If your ROM is bad, reflashing(updating) it might render your STB not usable and you might have to replace your STB, as the enginner said, therefore follow the above steps at your own risk.

- If ONLY the firmware is corrupt, then the above steps will update it and the STB will work flawlessly.

- The current update is only for Huawei HD STB, dont try this for any other STB.

- Ensure that there is no power outage during the firmware update.
i'm ok with the starting of the post till this. I am on 24HR ups backup so the power worry is nonexistent.

This switches on eratically but when it works it works nicely. What do you think causes this behaviour? Power supply? We tried with a new one and it's still the same. So no brick problem.

Then it may be the voltage regulation part in the STB. Under the hang/nonstart condition both the link and act indicators on the RJ45 port glow faintly. After multiple powercycles, the STB comes on at random to proper standby with red power indication. At that point sometime it does one of the things below.
a. shows download on progress, a counter on the left top increments from 00-xxxxxx till 08-xxxxxxxxx (approx 3 mins) and then goes to the 00000-00000 in the picture above and wait's forever.
b. starts properly and resumes full normal operation.

Can this be the result of a failed update or if the STB was switched off during an update?

And if the firmware was faulty due to a partial update or some unknown/race/undetermined conditions which might have happenned due to mixed/corrupt firmware, how does it work nicely sometime?

The person who came did a reset with a combination of buttons. It did reset the settings but no improvement on the erratic behaviour.

Regarding service, the guys only replace the box after payment for a new one/STB number change mapping to the view card , send the faulty one for service to an external party and resupply the same to another customer when required.

What does the ethernet port do on this box? I did connect it to my LAN but did not see any options extra appear anywhere in the menu, even after a power cycle.

Too many questions. Please bear with me. And I'll be glad to buy you a coffee or something for your trouble.
Old 18th March 2012, 09:39   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This switches on eratically but when it works it works nicely. What do you think causes this behaviour? Power supply? We tried with a new one and it's still the same. So no brick problem.
Its most probably due to the header in the software not able to find the boot sequence. Doesnt seem to be a ROM problem.

Quote:
a. shows download on progress, a counter on the left top increments from 00-xxxxxx till 08-xxxxxxxxx (approx 3 mins) and then goes to the 00000-00000 in the picture above and wait's forever.
b. starts properly and resumes full normal operation.

Can this be the result of a failed update or if the STB was switched off during an update?
It can be due to a failed update or STB being switched off during an update hence leading to software corruption, the pointers that you mention are used during the ROM updation sector by sector.

Quote:
And if the firmware was faulty due to a partial update or some unknown/race/undetermined conditions which might have happenned due to mixed/corrupt firmware, how does it work nicely sometime?
I think due to corruption now its lost its boot sequence and thats where it gets confused initially and then resumes normal operation, a successful update should resolve this erratic behaviour.

Quote:
Regarding service, the guys only replace the box after payment for a new one/STB number change mapping to the view card , send the faulty one for service to an external party and resupply the same to another customer when required.

Too many questions. Please bear with me. And I'll be glad to buy you a coffee or something for your trouble.
I know how they operate, Coffee!! anytime, if this helps you.
Old 18th March 2012, 10:52   #1715
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
From the screens you posted, I can see you are still on ver 304 and if I am not wrong on a Huawei HD STB. Please check the back panel of your STB to ascertain that its a Huawei HD STB and then follow the procedure below.
Just to confirm this.
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01597.jpg

Front view
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01598.jpg

Manufactured by Kaon Media Co Ltd.
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01604.jpg

The rear
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01605.jpg

I did search for Huawei models and found an airtel STB sale of some 1500000 or so pieces. However none of the current models resemble the Airtel DTH box.

And while we are at this, any idea what is the slot above the view card for?
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-dsc01603.jpg

Thank you
Old 18th March 2012, 12:33   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Ok thats the reason your Update has not happenned properly, yours is a Koanmedia Box and for this box the Update is not released but somehow you got an update not meant for this box corrupting the software.

Please wait for the firmware update for Koanmedia, it will be released within March, your box will start working properly then.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:16   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Ok thats the reason your Update has not happenned properly, yours is a Koanmedia Box and for this box the Update is not released but somehow you got an update not meant for this box corrupting the software.

Please wait for the firmware update for Koanmedia, it will be released within March, your box will start working properly then.
Thanks for the confirmation and clarification. Wonder where the Thank button disappeared to? ( Edit: Found the reason listed in the FAQ.)

Last edited by optimist : 18th March 2012 at 14:29.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:29   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation and clarification. Wonder where the Thank button disappeared to? ( Edit: Found the reason listed in the FAQ.)
You can try the manual update procedure in post #1712 today.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:55   #1719
Senior - BHPian

interesting article about set top box electricity consumption - Television Set top box can hog power

Most energy efficient refrigerators (5 star rated) consume about 400 units a year, so the HD DVR set top box can hog significant power as much as an energy efficient refrigerator. Although it may seem inconvenient as it takes time to start up, but if electricity saving is your priority, then it is better that it is turned off from the power point when not in use.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:17   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can try the manual update procedure in post #1712 today.
Your box would have automatically updated with ver402 by now, pls check.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:37   #1721
Senior - BHPian

I am really irritated with Airtel these days. Last November, they replaced my original hd stb as it had conked off. I had to pay Rs 750 for the replacement, and the replaced stb had 3 months warranty. Now, after 5 months, the current stb has broken down. I think the problem was with the sensor which accepts signals from the remote. The technician came and told me that he will have to replace the stb and I will have to pay Rs 750 again.

I am not sure why this is happening, but this for sure a money making initiative from airtel. And the replaced boxes are not new, they are refurbished. I am totally frustrated with this. I even tried to complain about this by writing to them, but it seems they don't check their emails.

How has TataSky fared in these kind of situations? Has anyone faced any issues with the replacement of STBs?
Old 24th March 2012, 09:54   #1722
BHPian

I have a videocon HD connection since last 1 year.It was plugged in to My denon Hd Amp, it was working fine till last week. It suddenly used to have only audio, video used to go blank, when complained they restarted the box, but no avail, the engineer then visited gave the connection direct to telvision , it was working fine. he said amp has a problem but he still replaced the STB as precsaution., but bluray, ps3, xbox all work fine. I changed the plug in to the bluray for the STB, problem is still there, changed the HDMI cable also, worked fine for a few minutes but problem comes back . Any help in this matter would be appreciated, the amp is a Denon1911.

Last edited by s.prashanth : 24th March 2012 at 10:00. Reason: nedded to mention STB was replaced
Old 24th March 2012, 12:40   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Good Decision. Airtel is launching VOD and recording from the NON-DVR boxes using USB port itself (you will need the recording remote though), watch out for these by first week of April(or before).

Some more HD channels are also coming up from the Zee channel.
Is there any file system limitation? Can the USB file system be in NTFS format too? Any information on this?
Also, Dish TV recently announced recording using an external disk. Is Airtel's offering on the same lines? What will be the reason to have this option + HD DVR?

Thanks in advance
Old 24th March 2012, 12:49   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Is there any file system limitation? Can the USB file system be in NTFS format too? Any information on this?
Also, Dish TV recently announced recording using an external disk. Is Airtel's offering on the same lines? What will be the reason to have this option + HD DVR?

Thanks in advance
Shouldnt be, since larger file systems need NTFS only, FAT32 has its own limitation in terms of disk size it supports and Airtel is recommending disks size > 80 GB, nowdays you can buy 320GB + and rarely 160GB HDD.

For HD Boxes its recording using external HDD using the USB port.

For HD DVR, HDD is built in, therefore no benefit for HD DVR subscribers.
Old 24th March 2012, 14:39   #1725
BHPian

Quote:
Shouldnt be, since larger file systems need NTFS only, FAT32 has its own limitation in terms of disk size it supports and Airtel is recommending disks size > 80 GB, nowdays you can buy 320GB + and rarely 160GB HDD.

For HD Boxes its recording using external HDD using the USB port.

For HD DVR, HDD is built in, therefore no benefit for HD DVR subscribers.
Thanks Dadu. Exactly because of the file size limitation , I was asking about NTFS & FAT32 :-)
Doesn't it mean that Airtel in a way is cannibalizing HD DVR? Most of the people would want to have a portable recording media which can be carried along. As of now, Airtel DVS costs around Rs.5990/- Any idea what the price of HD box would be? When are the planning to offer it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks