Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:54   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

This same thing happened to us too, ie yesterday we changed to South Super Value, thinking of adding other channels. However, the overall cost crossed our previous value. Got fed up, switched back to South Economy Pack with 12 HD channels. Relief, from choosing channels, if not the price.
Old 25th August 2012, 00:06   #1802
BHPian

Hi everybody
Frequent changing costs more money as you have to pay for the installation and the box and that is a tidy sum.I think i paid 3900 for 1 HD and 1 SD plus monthly subscription.
I have stb of videocon as well as indigital a total waste.If you count that and say you change after 1 year then the whole thing becomes super expensive
Vineet :Next time I will bear that in mind.Thanks
Regards
Old 25th August 2012, 02:18   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
i recently changed from tata sky to videocon dth ,the difference is, tata sky was offering only 8 hd channels where else videocon's providing 19 hd channels , for a much lesser amount , tata sky was offering only 4 malayalam channels ,videocon has 15. heard dish tv is got unlimited recording ,howz the service , rates and picture clarity? anybody please comment.
Please re-check those HD channels from videocon, they may not be really HD.
Old 25th August 2012, 08:26   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

Please re-check those HD channels from videocon, they may not be really HD.
Most of the so-called 'HD' channels are actually upscaled versions of 'SD' channels. The real or 'asli' channels are very few. And if you talk about 1080i with Dolby Digital 5.1, Movies Now available on Dish TV Tru-HD is one of the best options, not sure if the other providers offer this channel!
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:47   #1805
Senior - BHPian

I am in the search for a good HD DTH. I am not convinced with Airtel. I feel tata sky is costly and i dont know any iota of information about Videocon.

I just want HD package and i have specific list of channels that i only want, Sports, Movies and star world(7-8 channels i guess)

Which one would you recommend? WHy?
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:02   #1806
BHPian

VW2010
Hi.
I switched from vidocon(had it for nearly 2 years) to tatasky in march 2012 as they(videocon)did not have comedy central.
As i have posted before their service is pathetic.They cant even provide decent hardware.My box has been changed 5 time and now it seems to be ok.The question is for how long.Now the remote is conked out.So until I complain and they come and replace it I have to use the bedroom tv.
Their ads highlight their quality of service but I have seen better.
I have no idea about any other HD so cant comment.
I sent an email to Airtel showing interest in a connection.The aut response was that somebody will call within2 days.Nobody called and that put me off.
Regards
Old 3rd September 2012, 23:50   #1807
BHPian

Airtel is offering the following HD channels. These are actual HD Channels and not the upscaled stuff that some other DTH providers boast off.
Zee TV
Colors
Sony
Star World
Star Movies
Star Gold
Zee Cinema
Movies Now
Discovery
Natgeo
History Channel
Ten Sports
Star Cricket
Espn
CNBC Prime
There are 2-3 other channels i don't remember.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:44   #1808
BHPian

Nothing beats Videocon HD as of now, with its 22 HD channels.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:12   #1809
BHPian

Airtel DTH Users :

I own a HD DVR set top box with current software version of 402.
For the past 2 days, the system is trying to download a new version of the software but doesn't go beyond the initial 0 percent. After sometime, the system boots and restarts itself after a failed attempt to download the new software.

This cycle is continuing every 3-5 minutes.

Called up the customer care many a times and there are of no help. Finally an engineer came and tried resetting the box but to no avail.

He now says that the box has to be replaced with a new one for Rs. 1500 (15 month old box - warranty expired 3 months back).

Has anyone faced a similar situation ? please advise.
Old 6th September 2012, 16:16   #1810
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I recently upgraded my second (guest room) connection also to an HD Tata Sky with Recording facility.
First class service, quality and definition.They are expensive - the annual Mega HD Pack costs quite a bit for multi room connection.
But the quality is very good and Tata Sky Service is also good as per my experience.
The pleasure of watching full HD TV is really something else!
Old 6th September 2012, 17:00   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Airtel DTH Users :

I own a HD DVR set top box with current software version of 402.
For the past 2 days, the system is trying to download a new version of the software but doesn't go beyond the initial 0 percent. After sometime, the system boots and restarts itself after a failed attempt to download the new software.

This cycle is continuing every 3-5 minutes.

Called up the customer care many a times and there are of no help. Finally an engineer came and tried resetting the box but to no avail.

He now says that the box has to be replaced with a new one for Rs. 1500 (15 month old box - warranty expired 3 months back).

Has anyone faced a similar situation ? please advise.
The following post might help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2724718

Airtel STBs seem to have this habit of breaking down only after the warranty period expires. I have faced this issue 2 times. Really bad.
Old 6th September 2012, 17:21   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The following post might help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2724718

Airtel STBs seem to have this habit of breaking down only after the warranty period expires. I have faced this issue 2 times. Really bad.
Thanks Bro for the helpful post

In the meantime, searched various DTH forums (in a desperation to save Rs. 1500 as well) and found the solution as below:

1. Do a hard reset of the set top box by pressing the below four buttons together.
-Right
-Bottom
-OK
-Back

2. The system will reboot and start over again with the following screens
- choose language
- choose resolution (576 to 1080i)
- Installation set-up screen (LNB set-up) > change ''DiSEqC'' to ''none'' (it was earlier ''DiSEqC A'')
- save
- System automatically downloads the new software (version 450 for HD and HD DVR), else you may choose the manual mode to download the latest software.

This solved the problem.

What puzzles me is that the back-end and front-end technical teams were unable to solve the issue despite repeated attempts.

Thanks to internet and various forums which has solution for many of the issues we face.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:27   #1813
BHPian

Is there a problem with TataSky HD channels? Since a couple of hours now there is no HD content relayed, and say "you have to subscribe to this channel" Since the time they have the mega pack I am on it, almost 4 years now !

Their call center number is giving some technical error and disconnecting the call.

Last edited by sumathindra : 8th October 2012 at 14:29. Reason: edits
Old 8th October 2012, 14:38   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Tatasky seems to be losing the plot. In an effort to add colours hd they seem to have tripped on all hd channels. Anyhow a new message now informs that a flat 100/- bucks will be charged henceforth per month as hd fees. Can only hope that they do not renege on the mega pack deal of all new channels being made available at no extra cost.
Old 8th October 2012, 14:44   #1815
BANNED

@khoj; As per my experience their changes are prospective and not retrospective, i.e. they come in only when your current subscription expires. So far that is my experience.

Also, they are out of space in their transponders so I hope they change the satellite very soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks