Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 13:38   #1981
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Finally, I am enjoying IPL in SIX HD with no ads.
But no south channels. Headed to Airtel website and read that I have to opt for 2 language packs free. Called 12150 and asked for the same, immediately it got activated.
This satisfaction had made me forget the bitter experiences.
Note: Social media is indeed powerful rather than speaking to jerks. Thanks to Twitter
Agree with you on the social media thing. Works amazingly well for Airtel. I at times doubt whether the customer service execs even register your complaints. Messaging the @airtel_presence handle on twitter has solved most of my issues which have been mostly related to broadband outage/plan change and the likes.

Airtel's HD package used to be good even a couple of months back. But now with ESPN HD and Star Cricket HD not available, I think I would prefer sticking to TS. Even though they are still the most expensive amongst all the DTH service providers.
The choice has more to do with what sports you prefer watching. ESPN HD is tough to give up on, for me because of football and F1. On the other hand Airtel has Ten HD and a few extra regional channels(read bengali). Personally for the rest of the channels I really do not care.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:47   #1982
BHPian

Customer rep says that with Airtel we do not need to have a base package. So it is possible for me to just order my choice of ala carte channels? I did find that option in their website, but for some reason when my friend tried it out, it didn't go through.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:07   #1983
Senior - BHPian

I recently purchased a Sony LED TV and am not satisfied with the Picture Quality by using the Hathway Set Top box provided by the Local Cable Operator. I used it for a month but couldnt take it any longer so returning it back. I am planning to go for a DTH connection hence need advice on which is best from a VFM and Customer Service Perspective. I watch TV mostly on weekends and for a few minutes at night everyday. I mainly need HD service for Sports and if some other movie channels are also in HD, its ok.

After looking at Airtel's Customer Service, i have struck it off the list. I was thinking of Videocon, Tata Sky and Dish TV.

Could you guys tell me which one is better. I want a hassle free service and i wouldnt be changing packs very frequently.

Thanks.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:29   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I recently purchased a Sony LED TV and am not satisfied with the Picture Quality by using the Hathway Set Top box provided by the Local Cable Operator. I used it for a month but couldnt take it any longer so returning it back.
Did you try the Hathway HD box? I got it 2 months ago and it is mind-blowing! It is far, far better than the SD box. And you get the best package among competition: 20 HD channels, including 3 or 4 sports channels.

Among others, I believe Tata Sky has the best picture quality, and Videocon has the best deals.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:34   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Did you try the Hathway HD box? I got it 2 months ago and it is mind-blowing! It is far, far better than the SD box. And you get the best package among competition: 20 HD channels, including 3 or 4 sports channels.

Among others, I believe Tata Sky has the best picture quality, and Videocon has the best deals.
My cable operator says 4900 bucks for HD Box and less than 10 HD channels being offered. I am somewhat sick of these guys playing the monopolistic king since so many years. And to top it these guys take advance payment at the begining of every month. His service used to be good but not anymore.

If PQ is good then i might as well take up TSky. Anything that i need to look / check as a new customer.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:37   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If PQ is good then i might as well take up TSky. Anything that i need to look / check as a new customer.
Good decision. However, I leave it to others to respond, as I've never had Tata Sky, though I've watched it in my friends' places.
Old 30th April 2013, 09:24   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Did you try the Hathway HD box? I got it 2 months ago and it is mind-blowing!
how much does it cost in hyd , and does it have recording function .My cable operator is advising against this stating frequent hardware problem in HD STB.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:11   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
how much does it cost in hyd , and does it have recording function .My cable operator is advising against this stating frequent hardware problem in HD STB.
I paid Rs 6500 for the package consisting of the hd box, 20 hd channels and more than 100 normal channels, out of which the box alone was around Rs 2500, and it comes with an hdmi cable.

There is no recording facility. I have it for the past 3 months and the experience has been awesome.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:28   #1989
BHPian

Anybody here using InDigital/Incable HD box? Any experience? I am planning to switch from TataSky to InDigital, needed some suggestions!
Old 30th April 2013, 11:31   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Anybody here using InDigital/Incable HD box? Any experience? I am planning to switch from TataSky to InDigital, needed some suggestions!
Are you facing any issue with TSky. Can you share as I plan to get TSky this week.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:32   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
I paid Rs 6500 for the package consisting of the hd box, 20 hd channels and more than 100 normal channels, out of which the box alone was around Rs 2500, and it comes with an hdmi cable.

There is no recording facility. I have it for the past 3 months and the experience has been awesome.

I was quoted a price of 4500/- which includes 1 year of HD services and I still have to pay monthly subscription to the local cable operator. From the 2nd year onwards it is 2400 for the HD access fees(goes to Hathway directly). A little costlier than my existing Tata Sky HD Access fee, but will be getting all the channels. I am not sure about the multi TV rates in Hathway yet, as my local operator was saying that there is no multiTV concept and 2 connections in the same address will be treated as 2 individual connections. That is holding me up from shifting from TataSKY. Once there is some clarity, I can decide something faster as my TataSKY account is done with the annual pack and I dont want to commit another year without looking into Hathway.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:16   #1992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After looking at Airtel's Customer Service, i have struck it off the list. I was thinking of Videocon, Tata Sky and Dish TV.

Could you guys tell me which one is better. I want a hassle free service and i wouldnt be changing packs very frequently.

Thanks.
I would suggest you look at Airtel also. Agree their customer service is quite bad. But once you get installed and set up, it works perfectly well and you normally do not need to call customer care for anything. I had TS HD earlier and switched to Airtel and I did not see any significant difference in quality. Both were pretty good.
Old 30th April 2013, 18:55   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
I was quoted a price of 4500/- which includes 1 year of HD services and I still have to pay monthly subscription to the local cable operator. From the 2nd year onwards it is 2400 for the HD access fees(goes to Hathway directly). A little costlier than my existing Tata Sky HD Access fee, but will be getting all the channels. I am not sure about the multi TV rates in Hathway yet, as my local operator was saying that there is no multiTV concept and 2 connections in the same address will be treated as 2 individual connections. That is holding me up from shifting from TataSKY. Once there is some clarity, I can decide something faster as my TataSKY account is done with the annual pack and I dont want to commit another year without looking into Hathway.
The service center guys are always confused, as are the guys at the head office. After several attempts I got the full picture:
  1. HD box + annual charges for HD Channels (20 now) is Rs 4500.
  2. Charges for the normal SD channels continues to be the same as before. It is Rs 2000 p.a. in our area. Hence the total comes to Rs 6500.
  3. After one year, I'll have to pay Rs 2200 approx for the HD channels and Rs 2000 annually for the SD channels, totalling to Rs 4200. I'm not sure if this is costlier than competition.
Old 30th April 2013, 19:48   #1994
Senior - BHPian

My cable operator has disconnected Sun TV since last week for us and is stating that it has become a pay channel. I am surprised since many others are still getting the channel with the same service. Since the advent of CAS, every channel is a paid channel right? They have even given the package list and the charge for each channel today (after numerous follow ups). My dad even called up Hathway whose service is being given to us by the cable guy but their customer service is the same as any other.

This has given me even more reason to go for TSky for both our houses (mine is a rented house on the same floor). TSky HD Box as per their website is aroud 2.9k and if i take their highest package comprising of all the channels with HD Service it comes to 510 bucks per month and an additional 200 bucks for the additional box which i feel is good. The only initial investment would be the 2 HD Boxes and the installation.
Old 1st May 2013, 00:59   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Are you facing any issue with TSky. Can you share as I plan to get TSky this week.
Desmosedici
Hi.
I had Videocon for around 18 months. A niggling problem here and there was promptly sorted out.
As they did not have comedy central I switched to Tata sky in march 2012.
In these 14 months they have changed the HD box 5 times and their so called engineers have visited my place more than 20 times. In fact at one time I had 5 of them attending. At another time their box lasted for less than 10 minutes before it conked out.
I paid for 1 HD and 1 SD for 1 full year. After a few months I had to call them every month to remind them that my package is for 1 year and they cant change.3/4 months back I got fed up of calling them up and told them to switch off my HD channels.
Also bear in mind that the number of regional channels that you opt for are limited. As a special favour they gave me Punjabi and Gujarati.
To sum it, please think twice. Compare their prices.
Most probably I may switch back to Videocon as they now have comedy central. I will be calling their representative,who came to my place last month with quite a good offer.
Regards
PS:To call Tata sky I had to spend money,as their number given to us is not toll free. Subsequently I squeezed their toll free number from them which I now use

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks