Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 10:57   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
s that Star Premiere is a special category channel and will not be added to MEGA pack HD but will have to be subscribed for. Another reason to move away from Tata Sky platform.

Move away not because I have to cough up an extra 500 for the channel but because Tata Sky has this nasty habit of concealing / withholding information. I recharged my annual pack a week ago for three connections and specifically asked the executive regarding any changes to the pack. I was informed that the number of showcase movies has been reduced to 6 and apart from that there is no change. I even asked the chappy regarding the availability of this particular channel and he remarked that as usual it would be available under the Mega Pack. The executive made no mention of the same being a special category channel that would have to be subscribed for etc etc. and this is on the 16th just 8 days prior.

This is what pisses me off. SP HD promos were all over the place by then and for sure the decision to market it as a special channel would have been taken long back. So why not inform the customer in good time? With information comes the power to make an informed decision and that is exactly what these guys are afraid of.
Khoj, I couldn't agree with you more. Tata Sky has totally screwed up this launch. When I got home yesterday and eagerly put on my TV and switched to channel 213 I got the "you are not subscribed to this channel" message. Surprised, I called up TataSky and got the same explanation special category blah blah BS. And that explanation is fine, they have a right to make the channel special because I'm sure the broadcaster is charging a pretty penny from them.

My question is why was the misunderstanding created? Because they never bothered to inform people. All they had to do was send an e-mail to mega pack customers explaining the situation, or have it on their web site. Only yesterday did the ads on channel 100 have the tag "special" splashed on. Then, after pointlessly arguing with call center reps, I paid the Rs. 500 and asked them to add the annual pack. The answer, it can't be done but we will be ready tomorrow at 9 a.m. I call today after 9 a.m. and it still can't be done, call in the evening they say. Why start something that you're so unprepared for?

Very poorly handled.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:45   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Khoj, I couldn't agree with you more. Tata Sky has totally screwed up this launch. When I got home yesterday and eagerly put on my TV and switched to channel 213 I got the "you are not subscribed to this channel" message. Surprised, I called up TataSky and got the same explanation special category blah blah BS. And that explanation is fine, they have a right to make the channel special because I'm sure the broadcaster is charging a pretty penny from them.

My question is why was the misunderstanding created? Because they never bothered to inform people. All they had to do was send an e-mail to mega pack customers explaining the situation, or have it on their web site. Only yesterday did the ads on channel 100 have the tag "special" splashed on. Then, after pointlessly arguing with call center reps, I paid the Rs. 500 and asked them to add the annual pack. The answer, it can't be done but we will be ready tomorrow at 9 a.m. I call today after 9 a.m. and it still can't be done, call in the evening they say. Why start something that you're so unprepared for?

Very poorly handled.
I am on mega pack since 6 years now. Today I checked with the TS folks and got this channel added free of cost. Explanation given was anyone who had recharged prior to March is eligible for this channel free as per the clauses in the mega pack!
Old 25th September 2013, 16:53   #2148
BHPian

My Tata Sky Semi annual pack Multi TV option was running out tomorrow and did the recharge via the online option yesterday while having a chat with the customer care folks.

The wait time was long to get connected - almost 15 mins that too at 1030 pm at night !

Got the Premiere channel added too at R60/month, this is valid for both the TV's at home. Recharge and activation of the channel was completed in 10 mins.

I guess these channel studios must be charging quite a bomb for giving the latest shows at the same time as the US, but TATA sky should have rightly informed us all the situation as to why they are charging extra for this channel, which would make the whole situation more understandable.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:55   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I am on mega pack since 6 years now. Today I checked with the TS folks and got this channel added free of cost. Explanation given was anyone who had recharged prior to March is eligible for this channel free as per the clauses in the mega pack!
Lucky you, I only updated my subscription last month and I guess the terms changed by that time.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:03   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Lucky you, I only updated my subscription last month and I guess the terms changed by that time.
Well these are the finer points they do not inform proactively! Incidentally while speaking to the CC guy at TS I asked "what if I would not have called you assuming that the new channel will anyways come, would you have still provided access to me?" and his response had me fuming

He said "if i would not have called and asked, I would have never known and the channel would not have been added to my pack"

This treatment for being loyal to them for the past 6 years!
Old 29th September 2013, 17:41   #2151
BHPian

@sumathindra, you are indeed a lucky one! Even I have the mega pack for last 4 years, so I tried it with the Tata Sky helpline. He re-iterated that it was a special channel, and was available at 60 Rs pm. When I told him that someone I knew (you!) had got it FOC, he asked for the subscriber ID. Since I did not want them to charge you, I dropped the topic!
Old 30th September 2013, 12:51   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
@sumathindra, you are indeed a lucky one! Even I have the mega pack for last 4 years, so I tried it with the Tata Sky helpline. He re-iterated that it was a special channel, and was available at 60 Rs pm. When I told him that someone I knew (you!) had got it FOC, he asked for the subscriber ID. Since I did not want them to charge you, I dropped the topic!
Well thanks for that!

However I was clearly told that anyone who had recharged before Feb will be eligible for getting the new channel free without being charged. When did you last recharge your pack?
Old 30th September 2013, 17:07   #2153
BHPian

I have an annual mega hd pack. And yet i cant view star premiere hd, do i have to pay extra?

I am asking this as they had said that all new channels would be automatically added without any charge.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:17   #2154
BHPian

Re: Adding Free-to-Air Channels to Tata Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
I have an annual mega hd pack. And yet i cant view star premiere hd, do i have to pay extra?

I am asking this as they had said that all new channels would be automatically added without any charge.
yes, unfortunately. They indicate it as a special channel. Seems like they the only ones offering this channel for now. Maybe they will eventually make it free for those in annual HD mega pack and HD pack.
Old 30th September 2013, 17:28   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Quite satisfied with the signal and content quality, though I am having some problem with the USB port recording feature. It does not recognize my HDDs, though it does work with a 16GB pendrive to some extent.
Will post here how it unfolds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Mathur ji, I will look forward to reading your updates.
So here is my update:
It's been a month since my new Videocon D2h connection was activated.
The USB port recording feature does not work with the two HDDs that I have tried with. Three visits by their service engineers in the first week proved to be of no use.
The box does record on a 4GB pen drive but even here the recorded content cannot be fast forwarded or rewound!
There is obviously a serious glitch with the set top box that Videocon is supplying but they seem uninterested in resolving the issue.
For nearly three weeks now no service engineer has visited despite my repeated complaints.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:42   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
yes, unfortunately. They indicate it as a special channel. Seems like they the only ones offering this channel for now. Maybe they will eventually make it free for those in annual HD mega pack and HD pack.
Refer to this discussion on this thread...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...unced-144.html
Old 30th September 2013, 18:47   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Same observation here as well. I also noticed yesterday that it is not showing up Star premiere despite having enrolled for the mega hd pack. Was thinking of calling their helpline for clarification.

BTW - I have an HD box. From the update from @sumathindra, it looks like one needs to have HD+ boxfor this free-to-air thing to work.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:51   #2158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Same issue at my end. They ought to have included it in our annual mega pack.
Old 30th September 2013, 20:47   #2159
BHPian

Star world premiere HD is added to Videocon DTH. I am receiving it with no extra cost and the quality is awesome.
Old 30th September 2013, 21:28   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Star world premiere HD is added to Videocon DTH. I am receiving it with no extra cost and the quality is awesome.
Aye!
Thank God for small mercies!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks