Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 09:11   #2161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Star world premiere HD is added to Videocon DTH. I am receiving it with no extra cost and the quality is awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Aye! Thank God for small mercies!
Seems it is a Promo offer for 3 days and is priced @ 60pm/500pa for further subscription
(Source:dth forums)
Old 1st October 2013, 12:50   #2162
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Well thanks for that!

However I was clearly told that anyone who had recharged before Feb will be eligible for getting the new channel free without being charged. When did you last recharge your pack?
I had recharged it on 9th Feb 2013...

Last edited by sschivate : 1st October 2013 at 12:50. Reason: Corrected year!
Old 1st October 2013, 13:24   #2163
Senior - BHPian

After reading the below post I took a chance and had another interaction with the TS's CS wherein I told them that it is all over the net that Mega Pack subscribers have got the channel added FOC and asked them to explain the difference between the mega packs for those who were being given the free pack and others who were being asked to pay up. Next thing the executive says is if your STB is on please check, I did and there is SWP ... Checked and rechecked with the executive whether this was a temporary measure to fend off an upset consumer or a permanent part of the mega pack. The executive and later on the new a/c status both confirmed that it is indeed a part of the annual mega pack.

Guys, there is hope yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
@sumathindra, you are indeed a lucky one! Even I have the mega pack for last 4 years, so I tried it with the Tata Sky helpline. He re-iterated that it was a special channel, and was available at 60 Rs pm. When I told him that someone I knew (you!) had got it FOC, he asked for the subscriber ID. Since I did not want them to charge you, I dropped the topic!

Mathur ji, it seems "sab ek hi thalli ke baingan hai"

Quote:
So here is my update:

Last edited by khoj : 1st October 2013 at 13:26.
Old 1st October 2013, 14:17   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Mathur ji, it seems "sab ek hi thalli ke baingan hai"
... and that thali is called Indians!
Everything that can possibly go wrong with any system will do so when Indians manage it! Unimaginable greed is the credo.
Old 1st October 2013, 17:09   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So here is my update:
It's been a month since my new Videocon D2h connection was activated.
The USB port recording feature does not work with the two HDDs that I have tried with. Three visits by their service engineers in the first week proved to be of no use.
The box does record on a 4GB pen drive but even here the recorded content cannot be fast forwarded or rewound!
There is obviously a serious glitch with the set top box that Videocon is supplying but they seem uninterested in resolving the issue.
For nearly three weeks now no service engineer has visited despite my repeated complaints.
I have seen the same problem of forward and rewind not working.

I am not sure what the problem is, but as per specification USB drive should have write speed of minimum of 20 MB/sec. As per this Only scan disk extreme can be used. Then this forward and rewind functionality will work maybe?
Old 1st October 2013, 20:16   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
... but as per specification USB drive should have write speed of minimum of 20 MB/sec. As per this Only scan disk extreme can be used. Then this forward and rewind functionality will work maybe?
The specification asks for a USB 2.0 (or later) drive with 20Mbps write speed. No pen drive has that kind of write speed. Which means the obvious reference is to an HDD. Or they should clearly say it should be a USB 3.0 mass storage device.
I have tried a USB 2.0 pen drive and a USB 3.0. Both were recognized, formatted by the set top box and could record. However the recorded content can only be played and not fast forwarded or rewound.
I tried a 160 GB, 2.5" HDD: Not recognized.
Then a 400 GB, 3.5" HDD: Recognized, formatted but the set top box 'forgets' it has just formatted a drive, and does not show a record option!

Clearly, Videocon is using the customer as guinea pig; they haven't tested out the box that they are selling!
No one responds to complaints. Clearly, again, Videocon doesn't really care!
Old 1st October 2013, 23:15   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The specification asks for a USB 2.0 (or later) drive with 20Mbps write speed. No pen drive has that kind of write speed. Which means the obvious reference is to an HDD. Or they should clearly say it should be a USB 3.0 mass storage device.
I have tried a USB 2.0 pen drive and a USB 3.0. Both were recognized, formatted by the set top box and could record. However the recorded content can only be played and not fast forwarded or rewound.
Then a 400 GB, 3.5" HDD: Recognized, formatted but the set top box 'forgets' it has just formatted a drive, and does not show a record option!

Clearly, Videocon is using the customer as guinea pig; they haven't tested out the box that they are selling!
Thanks for clarifying. Today I tried with 320 GB HDD USB 3. It got formated and able to record but forward, rewind and pause is not at all working.

I have also made complaint, customer care guy told technician will come and do some settings, will update you once he comes.

Last edited by shamanth : 1st October 2013 at 23:41.
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:25   #2168
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a DTH subscription, with HD , DVR box.

Just wanted to check which provider offers better HD, as in 720p, 1080i etc.?

Also, any insight into monthly rates for HD packs for various providers also will be helpful!
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:32   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am looking for a DTH subscription, with HD , DVR box.

Just wanted to check which provider offers better HD, as in 720p, 1080i etc.?

Also, any insight into monthly rates for HD packs for various providers also will be helpful!
Im using the TataSky HD+,
the HD quality(1080i) is amazing when you compare it with normal SD channels on the same TV.

TS offers HD channels for any chosen pack at a monthly rate of 100(1200 p.m)
TS offers a 500gb HDD and so its hassle free compared to using plug and play usb drives.
and on a side note,the service from TS is top notch!
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:36   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
Im using the TataSky HD+,
the HD quality(1080i) is amazing when you compare it with normal SD channels on the same TV.
Thanks ariendj, what do you mean "monthly rate of 100(1200 p.m)" ?

EDIT: Is videocon offering HD as 720p only?

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd October 2013 at 13:39.
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:40   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a DTH subscription, with HD , DVR box. Just wanted to check which provider offers better HD, as in 720p, 1080i etc.? Also, any insight into monthly rates for HD packs for various providers also will be helpful!
I guess, for a value conscious customer looking for a Full package, 'still' the videocon d2h is the best option for getting max no. of HD/SD channels with very good quality and decently responsive customer support. Rest all seems to be more to the fleecing side.
(just as an example: Tsky had paltry no. of malayalam channels till recent times -now seeems they got more transponders- giving scant regard to customer requests. I switched to d2h and peace thereafter.)
Old 2nd October 2013, 14:51   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks ariendj, what do you mean "monthly rate of 100(1200 p.m)" ?

EDIT: Is videocon offering HD as 720p only?
No Videocon d2h offer 1080p. You might have seen their add of asli HD.

Videocon south HD platinum which has everything including all HD channels will cost you only Rs 480/month, same in tatasky will cost you around Rs 750/month with much lesser channels unless you take annual subscription. I have both videocon and tatasky HD boxes. I don't see any difference is quality both are almost same with HD or SD. This quality being great only is tatasky is a myth.

Tatasky offer HD recording with 500GB for Rs 7250, Videocon offers the same with 1TB recording for Rs1000 less.
Old 2nd October 2013, 15:49   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Thank you ThePunter.

Quote:
No Videocon d2h offer 1080p. You might have seen their add of asli HD.

Videocon south HD platinum which has everything including all HD channels will cost you only Rs 480/month, same in tatasky will cost you around Rs 750/month with much lesser channels unless you take annual subscription. I have both videocon and tatasky HD boxes. I don't see any difference is quality both are almost same with HD or SD. This quality being great only is tatasky is a myth.

Tatasky offer HD recording with 500GB for Rs 7250, Videocon offers the same with 1TB recording for Rs1000 less.
Thank you shamanth. This is good info.
I was trying to figure out why TATA Sky site says prices starting 135 per month on HD packages.

And I was also confused on whether Videocon's "Asli" is 720 or 1080, damn they are not clearly saying it anywhere!

As of now, I have ruled out TataSky & SunDirect. Still have to evaluate Videocon, Airtel and Reliance.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd October 2013 at 15:53.
Old 2nd October 2013, 17:59   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today they have taken my Set top box for changing a setting in the software. The specific issue as they told is Download code has to be changed to 13 instead of 11, this has to be done in their lab. Hopefully this will solve the problem, will keep you updated when i receive it back tomorrow.
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:02   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today they have taken my Set top box for changing a setting in the software. ....
.... will keep you updated when i receive it back tomorrow.
Thanks for updating.
You are getting far better service down South than I am getting here!
I have been given 4th Oct as the date when an engineer will attend to see what the problem is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks