Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 11:57   #2296
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I think below combination will include all channels for you.

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) = Rs.407/ month
With multiroom and annual recharge options, is it reaching 13K + ?
In tata sky currently I get regional + all hindi + all eng ent and movies + all sports (except Ten) + all kids and info channels

To match my Tata Sky package in Videocon I have to:

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) + Sports HD (121) + English Universe (62) + Info Style (34) = 624 rs / month

or I can do a New South Platinum HD which is only 541 rs / month or 499/month annually

To do this, i need to 2 multi room which is 500 rs per month (250 X 2)

Plus star world premier HD = 500 rs per year

plus HBO defined (when they launch, this itself means no to videocon for me) = 990 rs per year

So the total in Videocon comes to 13,476 rs whereas Tata Sky comes to 12740. Also, in tata sky monhtly i recharge before due date above 300 I get 15 rs credit which means in a year i get 180 rs, so total cost comes to 12740 - 180 = 12560

which is around 916 rs cheaper than videocon !!!

Am I wrong in the calculation?
Old 15th May 2014, 12:34   #2297
BHPian

Here is the split up:

Old 15th May 2014, 21:11   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
In tata sky currently I get regional + all hindi + all eng ent and movies + all sports (except Ten) + all kids and info channels

To match my Tata Sky package in Videocon I have to:

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) + Sports HD (121) + English Universe (62) + Info Style (34) = 624 rs / month

or I can do a New South Platinum HD which is only 541 rs / month or 499/month annually

To do this, i need to 2 multi room which is 500 rs per month (250 X 2)

Plus star world premier HD = 500 rs per year

plus HBO defined (when they launch, this itself means no to videocon for me) = 990 rs per year

So the total in Videocon comes to 13,476 rs whereas Tata Sky comes to 12740. Also, in tata sky monhtly i recharge before due date above 300 I get 15 rs credit which means in a year i get 180 rs, so total cost comes to 12740 - 180 = 12560

which is around 916 rs cheaper than videocon !!!

Am I wrong in the calculation?
HD Globae has star hd1,hd2 and Ten HD. No need of additional sports HD pack, as it just adds Sony Six.(you can add it as ala carte, if required).

Anyway, if the highest package comparison, points to huge difference, then there is no point in wasting time on calculation of various other permutation and combination. . Because each provider gives maximum enefit only on the highest package.

So, if you are watching almost all channels on the highest pack, Tatasky is better.

Earlier I too used to take the highest available package option and do long term recharges. Then later I reaised that we are not watching even 60% of the channels and switched to basic + add ons + <various other bundles like sport or other stuff>,whenever needed. With online package reconfiguration options, it works good.

And for me when I did some comparison earlier, D2H was cheaper to tatasky. (When I made the switch the malayalam channels on Tata sky were just 4 .Now D2H have around 22(20+2 religious) Malayalam channels.)
Old 15th May 2014, 22:50   #2299
Senior - BHPian

so, i just checked up. its a bit urgent now since our STB gave up the ghost two days back - the wife/kid are borderline distraught, esp since I'm traveling for work.

airtel SD = 0.5k
airtel HD DVR = 2.5k
TS+ HD etc is around 7k.

The gap seems too much to bridge as of now. What am I missing?
Old 16th May 2014, 11:37   #2300
Senior - BHPian

I'm in a face palm situation here. Turns out I had misunderstood the customer care guy. The hd dvr is five thousand while the SD recorder is 1500 under replacement. It claims to be unlimited but it can record to a pen drive that's not larger than 8Gb.that's not more than eight - ten hours of recording, right?

My worry is that in an year or so, we'll pay about 1900 for this including recording pack , which will be worthless at that time.

At the same time I'm worried that these things have the life of 2-3 years/warranty of 1 year and buying a hd dvr isn't much cheaper either.

What would others suggest? Tata sky doesn't sell a SD dvr anymore, as per their Web site.
Old 16th May 2014, 11:51   #2301
Senior - BHPian

I have taken new DishTV truhd recorder connection yesterday at Pune.

Cost: Rs.1400 including 1 month free 400rs pack. Next month onwards it is 400rs per month
Recording: Free. I need to connect pen drive/external drive to the STB. Other companies like Airtel/Videocon were charging 25/30Rs per month for this recording.

The recording is simple, that is you can either record the channel you are seeing, or when the TV is off. You can't see one channel and record another. That effectively means you are watching two channels, and requires two cables. I am not keen on recording one program while watching other, and wanted some simple recording unit with minimal investment.

I have not yet switched it on, as the TV is not connected yet. Once it is done, I will post about the quality of HD.
Old 16th May 2014, 16:13   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the split up:

Yes tatsky is good if you pay yearly. But if you want to pay monthly its D2H, since there is not much difference between yearly and monthly. If you are going to pay TataSky monthly, prices become exorbitant
Old 16th May 2014, 16:27   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes tatsky is good if you pay yearly. But if you want to pay monthly its D2H, since there is not much difference between yearly and monthly. If you are going to pay TataSky monthly, prices become exorbitant
At least not for my requirement. tata sky is still 972 rs cheaper even if I pay monthly. In fact, monthly tata sky is more cheaper compared to Videocon!!!

Old 16th May 2014, 16:34   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

At the same time I'm worried that these things have the life of 2-3 years/warranty of 1 year and buying a hd dvr isn't much cheaper either.

What would others suggest? Tata sky doesn't sell a SD dvr anymore, as per their Web site.
My tata sky HD+ pvr stopped working and the replacement if I remember was rs 300. May be my memory is bad, even at that I didnt beleive it!!! I thought it will be 3000 rs
Old 16th May 2014, 16:42   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At least not for my requirement. tata sky is still 972 rs cheaper even if I pay monthly. In fact, monthly tata sky is more cheaper compared to Videocon!!!
Just a thought. Shouldn't you be calculating videocon at 12months + 40 days extra that you get by doing a long term recharge of 12 months? IF you are going to be paying it monthly, then your calculation is absolutely correct.
Old 16th May 2014, 17:01   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Just a thought. Shouldn't you be calculating videocon at 12months + 40 days extra that you get by doing a long term recharge of 12 months? IF you are going to be paying it monthly, then your calculation is absolutely correct.
Yeap. Did that for yearly. Look at my previous post with yearly calculation.

I have used489.8462 rs monthly, bcos yearly its 6485 for 12+1 (free) = 13 months. So 6485/13 = 489.8456 rs
Old 16th May 2014, 23:17   #2307
BHPian

Hi everybody
I have a T.Sky and have been using it for more than 2 years.
In these 2 years this is the eighth box I have got and am fed up. Thinking of switching to Videocon.
I have HDMI 13 Samsung 42" LED TV.I could not see much difference between TS HD and Standard definition so I retained the HD box and unsubscribed the HD channels.
My query is when I switch should I go for HD or SD box? What is the difference in percentage terms? Is it worthwhile?
Please guide
Thanks a lot
Regards
Old 16th May 2014, 23:41   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
In these 2 years this is the eighth box I have got and am fed up. Thinking of switching to Videocon.
I have HDMI 13 Samsung 42" LED TV.I could not see much difference between TS HD and Standard definition so I retained the HD box and unsubscribed the HD channels.
My query is when I switch should I go for HD or SD box? What is the difference in percentage terms? Is it worthwhile?
Please guide
Thanks a lot
Regards
What ever you do, please avoid Dish TV.

To call them a bunch of cheats would be an understatement.

After collecting the 'discounted' annual payment for platinum HD package, they systematically remove HD and SD channels one by one.

They have convenient excuses, the channel has hiked the access free and you will have to subscribe separately as an al-la-carte`. As compensation, a ridiculous SD channel which they themselves would not watch is provided.

After my year's subscription is complete, I am planning to switch over to Tata Sky and only opt for channels that I need.

Beware of Dish TV, they have no scruples. I assume and hope that Tata Sky are ethically better.

BTW, my above statement is after being a loyal Dish TV subscriber for more than 12 years, starting with a 3' dish and basic SD box!
Old 17th May 2014, 22:58   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Please guide
Thanks a lot
Regards
For D2H the price difference between SD box and HD box entry offers are ~300 only. So it is better to go for HD box. Also the HD box has SPDIF out which you can connect to your home theatre and get Dolby output on some of the HD channels.

Check the online offers option, for some of the bunled freebies.
Old 20th May 2014, 00:37   #2310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
For D2H the price difference between SD box and HD box entry offers are ~300 only. So it is better to go for HD box. Also the HD box has SPDIF out which you can connect to your home theatre and get Dolby output on some of the HD channels.

Check the online offers option, for some of the bunled freebies.
Mykal/CPBopanna
Hi.
Thanks your replies.
I have no problem with the slight extra charge.My only worry is that in the 2 years of Tata Sky I had to change the HD box 8 times and the SD box only once.Another time that the SD box was changed when TS upgraded their system.
So please guide what difference could be between SD and HD box.Just an approximate in percentage trms.

CP.
THe choice is between continuing with TS or switching to Videocon.Incidentally before I switched to TS I used VC for more than a year.I changed as they did not have Comedy Central, which they have now.
Thanks once again for your replies
Regards

Most Viewed