Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 18:53   #2311
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I assume and hope that Tata Sky are ethically better.
Well, not quite! TataSky's latest method of fleecing the customers is to brand all new services/channels as 'Specials', because by their definition specials are not covered under annual mega packs (which say that you would get all newly launched channels FOC). So HBO defined, Star World Premier HD, Disney Family Movies all are available at an extra charge...
Old 20th May 2014, 18:59   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Well, not quite! TataSky's latest method of fleecing the customers is to brand all new services/channels as 'Specials', because by their definition specials are not covered under annual mega packs (which say that you would get all newly launched channels FOC). So HBO defined, Star World Premier HD, Disney Family Movies all are available at an extra charge...
To add to the above, they have increased the HD fee to 125Rs starting today. Message I got from Tatasky :
" With new HD channels on Tata Sky, the HD Access Fee on your a/c has increased marginally from Rs100 to Rs125pm. New price applicable on your a/c from today."
Old 20th May 2014, 19:22   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
To add to the above, they have increased the HD fee to 125Rs starting today. Message I got from Tatasky :
" With new HD channels on Tata Sky, the HD Access Fee on your a/c has increased marginally from Rs100 to Rs125pm. New price applicable on your a/c from today."
There appears to be some sort of a cartel in operation here!

Somebody needs to appeal to the Competition Commission of India (CCI) or whoever the appropriate authority is. The purpose of a yearly contract is like hedging. Once you pay for the year, the channels are available for the year at the same fixed price. If every Tom, Dick & Harry (read: Dish TV, Tata Sky & Videocon) keeps changing the pricing at their own whims and fancies, what is the sanctity of a contract?

It might as well be like a mobile or land-line post-paid connection. A certain fixed component every month and the rest entirely variable - the service providers keep charging whatever they feel like every month.

Since this entire concept of direct-to-home is heading towards being preposterous and absurd, are the powers to be listening or watching? Or is it already a situation of quid pro quo?
Old 21st May 2014, 12:50   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
There appears to be some sort of a cartel in operation here!

Somebody needs to appeal to the Competition Commission of India (CCI) or whoever the appropriate authority is. The purpose of a yearly contract is like hedging. Once you pay for the year, the channels are available for the year at the same fixed price. If every Tom, Dick & Harry (read: Dish TV, Tata Sky & Videocon) keeps changing the pricing at their own whims and fancies, what is the sanctity of a contract?

It might as well be like a mobile or land-line post-paid connection. A certain fixed component every month and the rest entirely variable - the service providers keep charging whatever they feel like every month.

Since this entire concept of direct-to-home is heading towards being preposterous and absurd, are the powers to be listening or watching? Or is it already a situation of quid pro quo?
I am with TS for the last 8 years and they do offer price protection for the entire year. I have not received any sms on the increase in the monthly price of the HD channels. Of course, I wish they do not brand most of these new channels as "Specials". I have only subscribed to the Premier channel and to none of the others as I do not find value.
Old 21st May 2014, 13:53   #2315
Senior - BHPian

DTH Experts,

Need a quick guidance.

Had Tata sky SD STB earlier and a customized channel package which used to cost me Rs 4K+ and had some 250+ channels. Now I have local cable STB which costs me 275rs pm and the quality is so so. The issue is with frequent power disruptions at the cable distribution end. Hence wanted to shift back to TS STB. The deal offered is 999 for HD STB upgrade from SD + 7K for Mega HD package (which is an over kill price wise) + HD access fee of Rs 1500 pa.

Some internet browsing showed Videocon d2h offering HD STB + 12 month Platinum HD pack + 1 month d2h movies + 4.5K worth vouchers. Is the pic quality of Videocon superior to Tatasky? Would it be affected by the usual monsoon bug of pic dropping on heavy rains?

Can any Videocon d2H user confirm hows the performance on Plasma TV?
Old 21st May 2014, 15:01   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
DTH Experts,

Need a quick guidance.

Had Tata sky SD STB earlier and a customized channel package which used to cost me Rs 4K+ and had some 250+ channels. Now I have local cable STB which costs me 275rs pm and the quality is so so. The issue is with frequent power disruptions at the cable distribution end. Hence wanted to shift back to TS STB. The deal offered is 999 for HD STB upgrade from SD + 7K for Mega HD package (which is an over kill price wise) + HD access fee of Rs 1500 pa.

Some internet browsing showed Videocon d2h offering HD STB + 12 month Platinum HD pack + 1 month d2h movies + 4.5K worth vouchers. Is the pic quality of Videocon superior to Tatasky? Would it be affected by the usual monsoon bug of pic dropping on heavy rains?

Hi I use a Videocon D2H SD version on a normal CRT TV. The picture quality is pretty good but I feel the colors are a tad saturated if I compare them to Tata Sky. My in-laws have Tata Sky at their home so I could feel the difference. Not sure about the HD reception but SD is pretty clear. On rainy days it does work fine if its a continuous pour but if there is thunder or lightening then the reception is disrupted, which I guess is natural.

The installation was done within 1 business day here in Bangalore. Even location change was done within 24 hours.

I currently use their South Diamond package and pretty satisfied.

The only flip side is their customer service folks who call you to renew your subscription, they don't know how to speak properly, even Hindi is skewed but I guess we can live with that.

Last edited by motomaverick : 21st May 2014 at 15:02.
Old 21st May 2014, 20:19   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of switching over to videocon d2h from tata sky thanks to the latter's poor service.

I currently have the South Mega HD pack whcih costs 7500 pa not counting the specials and 200pm for the 2nd box. I pay 9900(7500+2400) currently per year, for 2 boxes.

A similar pack in Videocon is New South Platinum HD, which gives me more channels and it costs 6485 for Year 1 for primary box and 250 p.m for the second box,totaling to 9485 per year.

There's not a lot of difference,but with Tata Sky there are frequent no signal issues (even when its perfectly calm and no winds) and they take 2 days to visit my house after I call them,till such time its almost impossible to watch TV. Is videocon as bad ? Also what channels are exclusive to Tata sky ?
Old 21st May 2014, 22:58   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnilup View Post
I have taken the one year mega HD pack last week and did not receive this message, so I am led to believe that the yearly pack provides price protection.
But nonetheless the pricing is atrocious and at this rate I will be paying almost a grand a month for the connection.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:09   #2319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
DTH Experts,

Need a quick guidance.

I have been using a Videcon HD box with my Samsung Plasma(43") for about 2 years now. Pic quality is top notch with HD channels. Can't compare with TS as I have only seen TS SD on a Sony 32" LCD. Compared to that, yes the SD images look better on the plasma with Vid D2H.

I had opted for Vid D2H at that time coz it was the cheapest and offered the max number of HD channels. Since then though, my usage pattern changed and I opted out of the HD package, and currently subscribe to only SD channels.

Service disruptions are minimal and only in case of pretty bad thunderstorms/showers (which are pretty hard to come by in NCR )

Customer service works better if you mail them etc, calling them will give you a headache!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 22nd May 2014 at 10:11.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:26   #2320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have been using a Videcon HD box with my Samsung Plasma(43") for about 2 years now. Pic quality is top notch with HD channels. Can't compare with TS as I have only seen TS SD on a Sony 32" LCD. Compared to that, yes the SD images look better on the plasma with Vid D2H.
What about the box itself - is there lag when changing the channels or going through menu options?
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:37   #2321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What about the box itself - is there lag when changing the channels or going through menu options?
Not too much of a lag but after a recent update, it sort of hangs sometimes. Have to switch off/on power to restore it. Let me try and post a video this evening.
Old 23rd May 2014, 16:50   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yes.There is a lag in all type of HD boxes after a recent software upgrade.
I was using normal HD box and after reporting the lag issue, they replaced it with a new HD box with an RF remote. Even in that box, there is a lag (mainly on channel switch/volume control). If I enter number of channels directly or go from favourite list, it works smooth.

I hope they will fix it with another update soon, as this is affecting most of the HD boxes.
Old 24th May 2014, 12:43   #2323
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of moving from Hathway (HD) service through local Cable operator to other DTH provider. Tata Sky or Videocon is better overall (HD + SD channels) at Bangalore ?

EDIT:Haven't decided yet, but how does one get a Tata Sky connection at Bangalore, still confused looking up their site and others - aren't there agents/agencies who can be contacted for more details ?

Last edited by NPV : 24th May 2014 at 12:48.
Old 24th May 2014, 17:00   #2324
BHPian

You can always register on the tata sky website and they will give you a call. Their generally call within the same day and schedule the installation.
Old 25th May 2014, 13:26   #2325
BHPian

Me too in the same situation, using the cable SD STB, on a 46" Full HD LED!! desperately need a HD box, but which one? For me quality matters the most, economics not so much. Guys any service provider that is really great without giving me any headaches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks