Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 14:43   #2341
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Somehow the sound quality did not appeal me much in TataSky, It starts off with multi channel sound but soon fade out slowly into stereo mode and then again after a short while you can feel the sound change. There used to be short bursts of this phenomenon happening, especially in NatGEO and Discovery channels. It was clearly evident when the channel used to switch to its programme just after a commercial break. It used to be Dolby - Stero - Dolby. Not sure if this is continuing now though.

Someone else experienced this ?
Commercials other than programme previews are never Dolby encoded. I would be surprised if the commercials were even stereo, except for a few. Hence the Dolby sound is available only during the programme or movie. In discovery the programmes are indeed 5.1ch but the surround content is very less compared to a movie.
Old 16th June 2014, 15:06   #2342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Commercials other than programme previews are never Dolby encoded. I would be surprised if the commercials were even stereo, except for a few. Hence the Dolby sound is available only during the programme or movie. In discovery the programmes are indeed 5.1ch but the surround content is very less compared to a movie.
True. I am not talking of the commercials. what I meant was "It is more evident just after the commercial break". Alleast that is how it used to be some 6 months back.
Old 17th June 2014, 08:48   #2343
BHPian

It's been a year since I shifted to Airtel. Had paid some 11k or 12k a year ago for two TV boxes, with HD and their yearly Mega pack.
Now, I was planning to renew my subcription. The same Mega package costs 6540 (First TV) whereas the same thing with a new connection and a box costs 5600 (First TV)

I was missing a few channel in the Mega Pack like CNN, Discovery Turbo, MGM and Star World Premier. I won't be opting for Mega this time.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Ultra HD and Magnum HD. Ultra HD is 7260 and Magnum HD is 6500 for the first TV. Second TV will be an addition 2700 for each package.
Why is it priced like this? As far as I know Magnum>Ultra>Mega, although the prices don't reflect the same.
Even the AirTel chap couldn't tell me what the difference is between Ultra & Magnum

Last edited by promit : 17th June 2014 at 08:51.
Old 28th June 2014, 22:11   #2344
BHPian

I am finally ending it with the cable wala. I have been going through this thread like for ever, but none of the HD boxes seems to be good enough each has an issue. I am for sure in a pickle. Guys which one is the best HD with all HD channels, good service, i don't watch regional, need all the English movies and other English channels, nat geo, d.turbo, news and main hindi channels. Help me out here.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:47   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Made a quick switch from Airtel to Tatasky
Question - what you do with old box. i am trying to switch from dish TV to Tata sky & has no clues what to do with dish TV box. It seems Dish TV;s policy is clear - money gone means gone. there are no refunds for anything.

I am using a SD set top box, it;s a lousy box with booting time of some 2-3 min. more over a slight drizzle and it;s gasping for breath. channel packages are poorly planned IMO. i am having super gold pack and they want me to spend another 100 rs as ala karte for watching history & discovery turbo . More over they keep on modifying their packs without any info and icing on the cake is that you can change pack only within 7 days of last recharge .

i found tata sky to be far better . Has one running in my native for 5-6 years now . yes, it;s bit costly but keeps running in smaller rains and SD picture quality is any day better than lousy dish TV & customer service is far more friendly than dish TV.
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:48   #2346
BHPian

Re: Reliance Digital TV?

What is with 'Reliance Digital TV'? Are they going bankrupt?
I am getting the message 'This DTH operator has outstanding and liable to be disconnected' on few of the regional channels.
Old 7th September 2014, 23:37   #2347
BHPian

Hi friends,
It looks like videocon d2h made lots of reconfigurations on packages and prices.
Now, only the highest pack has HD option (platinum HD/South Platinum HD).
I was on South Gold HD (399/-) and still running on that.
Now Times Now is removed from my above pack and its a 12/- PM addition now.

Also there is no HD add on option.

Now,it looks like they will eventually force old users to move to new plans, as there is no long term recharge option on my existing plan.

I think its time to explore other options now. Or is everyone on similar pricing strategy?
Is there any better options for 412/- per month? (normal channles +HD combination)
Old 7th September 2014, 23:50   #2348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post

Now,it looks like they will eventually force old users to move to new plans, as there is no long term recharge option on my existing plan.

I think its time to explore other options now. Or is everyone on similar pricing strategy?
Is there any better options for 412/- per month? (normal channles +HD combination)
Exactly why I switched. Airtel started becoming more and more expensive. Currently I pay close to 400 a month. This covers all popular channels and their HD counterparts. Since we don't watch Hindi, those channels other than news isn't opted for.

I am currently on Tata sky with a 260 base package + HD access fee.

What I liked was in this package, Star sports 1,2 are HD while 3,4 are SD. However we don't get 1,2 in SD. Pretty logical and practical. Apart from HBO defined, I get all English movies and their HD versions. Even if I want, I can stretch the subscription as and when needed and yet the cost will be less than 500 usually.

With Airtel, the last month subscription was Rs 515, with a lot less channels on offer. I used to pay extra for NDTV and CNN IBN since they weren't part of the package.
Old 10th September 2014, 02:19   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is with 'Reliance Digital TV'? Are they going bankrupt?
I am getting the message 'This DTH operator has outstanding and liable to be disconnected' on few of the regional channels.
There is huge outstanding pending from reliance to sun network channels.
There was even some news last year that reliance is selling the major stakes in their DTH to sun group.
Old 10th September 2014, 02:23   #2350
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly why I switched. Airtel started becoming more and more expensive. Currently I pay close to 400 a month. This covers all popular channels and their HD counterparts. Since we don't watch Hindi, those channels other than news isn't opted for.

I am currently on Tata sky with a 260 base package + HD access fee.

What I liked was in this package, Star sports 1,2 are HD while 3,4 are SD. However we don't get 1,2 in SD. Pretty logical and practical. Apart from HBO defined, I get all English movies and their HD versions. Even if I want, I can stretch the subscription as and when needed and yet the cost will be less than 500 usually.

With Airtel, the last month subscription was Rs 515, with a lot less channels on offer. I used to pay extra for NDTV and CNN IBN since they weren't part of the package.
Thank you audioholic. Yes. I am looking for base channels + HD package kind of options than paying for the highest package option.
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:48   #2351
Team-BHP Support

We’ve relocated to a new place and wifey insisted on getting a DTH connection since my in-laws/parents would be frequenting us often. Went ahead with Tata Sky HD after some research and made the payment online for Rs. 2250 using the CC. 10 minutes later the local installation guy rings! Asked him to come tomorrow around noon and promptly received an SMS confirming the details. Everything went at a blistering pace!

I haven’t used an STB connection before (bought the TV back in 2010 only for playing games and watching movies). If my understanding is correct, we need to pay an extra fee (monthly/half-yearly/annually) for viewing HD channels other than the usual subscription fee. If we do not pay this fee, we cannot view the HD channels but SD channels are fine. Is this correct?

Can some kind soul post an image of the rear of the STB of a Tata Sky HD DTH service? Need to check what are the ports available. I have a HT system that accepts both the digital sound inputs - optical and coaxial; the optical one is already fed from the TV’s output. If there is a coaxial out, I’m saved!
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:25   #2352
Senior - BHPian

If it helps the TataSKy HD+ box as an HDMI output as well as the coaxial (RWY) sockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Can some kind soul post an image of the rear of the STB of a Tata Sky HD DTH service? Need to check what are the ports available. I have a HT system that accepts both the digital sound inputs - optical and coaxial; the optical one is already fed from the TV’s output. If there is a coaxial out, I’m saved!
Old 2nd December 2014, 18:39   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If it helps the TataSKy HD+ box as an HDMI output as well as the coaxial (RWY) sockets.
I think he is asking specifically for audio only ports. HDMI would be both for this set top box and RWY you mentioned is composite AV, I think.

Gannu, your TV might have HDMI ARC. Couldn't you use that to connect it with HT?
Old 4th December 2014, 11:48   #2354
Team-BHP Support

Got the Tata Sky HD installed yesterday. I am impressed! HD channels look swell and the GUI of the STB has a nice fade effect. We have an age old Asianet SD STB connection at my hometown driving a 46 incher. Perhaps, my parents could be convinced to switch to the HD DTH service once they see this in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Thank you! The STB we received lacks the component video out (not that I need them) and the coaxial digital out. There's an HDMI out, composite video out (Y), stereo audio out (R, W). That's all.

I forgot to click a snap yesterday. Will do that and post it here later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Gannu, your TV might have HDMI ARC. Couldn't you use that to connect it with HT?
Thanks shipnil but this is a 4 year old TV (Samsung LA40C630). Lacks ARC. But that’s okay since the TV does the audio passthrough for DTS/Dolby D via the optical out, if the source is connected via HDMI. I used to drive my consoles that way.

Yet to unpack the audio systems. Will probably do it this weekend and post back the results.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2014 at 11:52.
Old 5th December 2014, 08:58   #2355
BHPian

Re: DTH with better upscaling of SD channels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
There is huge outstanding pending from reliance to sun network channels.
There was even some news last year that reliance is selling the major stakes in their DTH to sun group.
I am fed up of Reliance DTH and considering other DTH service providers.
I am looking at these features.

- Better upscale of SD channels considering most of the popular channels beam SD signals?
- Better south based packs
- Signal strength during rains

Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks