Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:02   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
You can choose Tata Sky as it ticks off all your requirements. They have a bouquet of HD channels (Sports, Discovery, News Movies)

I've been a user of Tata Sky for the past 8 years and have no reason to complain with their service. You can chose to talk to them or chant with an advisor on the web.

They offer you the facility of choosing channels per your taste, but I'm not sure as to what the offerings are in the a-la-carte sections.

As for a recorder, it would be dependent on your preference. Based on your viewing preferences mentioned, I'd suggest that you opt for the regular HD box as these channels repeat programming ad-naseum and I'm sure that you will catch up on the lost episodes.

Hope the above helps

Cheers
Thanks, it did help, how is their service and can you tell me general problems that occur with this DTH boxes, how many of them you had in past years? Tata sky is the first option I am considering, but just had a quick browse through different DTH providers websites and the conclusion is Dish TV has the most HD channels that I need. Now, how is the service of Dish? Thanks again.
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:23   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Dear Bhpians,

I am looking for a HD DTH Connection. I generally watch Sports channels, Discovery, NG, History, Disc. Turbo, Fox Life etc. Tata sky is good in my region.

1) Now, please suggest a good operator with good customer service and packages (alot of HD channels).

2) Also, should I opt for recording STB or general one?

3) Is there any provider which allows us to make our own packages? for e.g. if I want only a certain no. of channels then can I customize my package to individual liking?

Thanks.
I have experienced DishTV, Videocon D2h and Airtel Digital TV.
Among these, Airtel is best in terms of service and variety of channels. I have heard that Tata Sky is also good, so if it has a good feedback in your city then you should go for it.

I was frustrated with DishTV's service and hardware quality, so I switched to Airtel 4-5 years back. I don't know if it has improved in these years.

I'd suggest you definitely go for the recorder option as it provides great convenience of watching shows at your preferred time. Also, the rewind, fast-forward functions that are provided make it easier to skip ads. I watch almost every show using the recorder function(except for sports)

Every provider gives the option to select only certain channels via a-la-carte packs, but you should opt for it only if you want watch very few channels(<10) as their pricing makes it more expensive than the regular packs.
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:49   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I have experienced DishTV, Videocon D2h and Airtel Digital TV.
Among these, Airtel is best in terms of service and variety of channels. I have heard that Tata Sky is also good, so if it has a good feedback in your city then you should go for it.

I was frustrated with DishTV's service and hardware quality, so I switched to Airtel 4-5 years back. I don't know if it has improved in these years.

I'd suggest you definitely go for the recorder option as it provides great convenience of watching shows at your preferred time. Also, the rewind, fast-forward functions that are provided make it easier to skip ads. I watch almost every show using the recorder function(except for sports)

Every provider gives the option to select only certain channels via a-la-carte packs, but you should opt for it only if you want watch very few channels(<10) as their pricing makes it more expensive than the regular packs.
Service woes with Dish TV. Heck! they charge premium and fail to deliver the service and blaim that to competition. This has become a trend.

I have a doubt, for e.g. I take a SD plus HD pack for one month, after one month it expires. Now, I have no pack activated, in this situation can I only choose to activate the a-la-carte packs? or I have to use SD pack plus a-la-carte? Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2015, 23:14   #2404
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, it did help, how is their service and can you tell me general problems that occur with this DTH boxes, how many of them you had in past years? Tata sky is the first option I am considering, but just had a quick browse through different DTH providers websites and the conclusion is Dish TV has the most HD channels that I need. Now, how is the service of Dish? Thanks again.
Hi,
A quick update, tata sky just added 6 more channels, out of which 2 HD channels AXN HD and one more which i dont remember.

I have a normal HD box, had to upgrade as the earlier box could not support some channels which we watch (Mainly South Channels).

As mentioned before their customer service is very good. Complaints get resolved immediately and technician visits are well coordinated via sms and emails. They offer cashless service as it gets deducted from your account balance.

Typical problems with a dish setup is that when it rains heavily or its too sunny you lose signals, other than that there are no major issues.

Cheers
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:56   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys. I have booked Dish TV Tru HD+. The primary reason being it had cheapest of SD+HD package of 460 Rs with 40 HD channels. I have a HD quality bug, lets see if they have good service quality.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:59   #2406
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys. I have booked Dish TV Tru HD+. The primary reason being it had cheapest of SD+HD package of 460 Rs with 40 HD channels. I have a HD quality bug, lets see if they have good service quality.
Wow! That's lots of HD channels. Please let us know your experience, once installed.
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:07   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Wow! That's lots of HD channels. Please let us know your experience, once installed.

I am using Dish since they started and have three connections at home. They have good service and the support guy usually arrives same day. Don't really need any support frankly as fixes are usually with alignment or dead hardware which are easy to figure out or solve. There are good apps that help with alignment and I've changed dish positions myself, replaced faulty lnb, changed cable etc
Old 11th July 2015, 15:00   #2408
BHPian

Well, I for one am going in the opposite direction. I absolutely hardly watch any TV and have a Tata Sky HD+ setup. I have stopped recharging and its been almost 3 months.

Most of the stuff I watch is off the net, which is why I have a Internet TV set up.
The only casualty is Nat Geo and Discovery, but I can live with that. Lets see how long can I keep up.
Old 12th July 2015, 07:25   #2409
BHPian

Having a weird problem with airtel dth. The program guide does not show future programs at all. It just shows "no information available" for All channels. The consequence of this is that I cannot setup any recordings. I am just so used to recording my shows that I hardly ever see live tv. Anyone else come across this issue and solved it?
Old 12th July 2015, 10:15   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Most of the stuff I watch is off the net, which is why I have a Internet TV set up.
Can you elaborate? What all equipment is in this setup. How exactly does it work?
Old 12th July 2015, 12:02   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Can you elaborate? What all equipment is in this setup. How exactly does it work?
Not sure if it suits this topic - I'd send you a PM.
P.S. Editing this after Eddy's post below

Things you would need:

1. A Really Fast Internet Connection - I am on a 8 Mbps but moving to a 50 Mbps in the next month. (8 works all right as well)

2. A Paid VPN Setup - I have a life time VPN- Cost me around 40 USD

3. Roku Box ( ~ USD 100) Finds just about everything on TV.

In addition I also have a WD TV Box, which acts as something that plays all file formats on a Hard Disk/USB Drive/Phone/Computer/Network

Last edited by pratyush6 : 12th July 2015 at 12:21.
Old 12th July 2015, 12:05   #2412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A PM helps only one member, not the entire community. Please go ahead and post it in public, if it does not involve piracy.

We'll move it to a relevant thread if needed.
Old 21st July 2015, 18:59   #2413
BHPian

I am looking to get a DTH HD setup. New to this stuff, have been using the local cable guy (hathway box) but these days its acting wierd and also tired of getting no response from the cable guy.

Can you guys suggest which would be the best DTH in hyd, Motinagar.

1. No recording needed.
2. I only watch Discovery Turbo and History channel.
3. Primarily for my wifey and my 2.5yrs old son.

Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 21:37   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post

2. I only watch Discovery Turbo and History channel.

I guess marginally economical ones are Dish DTH and videocon. Tatasky is technically better. However I believe the number of HD channels are more in Dish DTH. I have Dish DTH since they started. I like the videocon because their remotes are RF and not IR and that in my opinion is a major advantage.
Old 22nd July 2015, 04:44   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Editing this after Eddy's post below

Things you would need:

1. A Really Fast Internet Connection - I am on a 8 Mbps but moving to a 50 Mbps in the next month. (8 works all right as well)

2. A Paid VPN Setup - I have a life time VPN- Cost me around 40 USD

3. Roku Box ( ~ USD 100) Finds just about everything on TV.

In addition I also have a WD TV Box, which acts as something that plays all file formats on a Hard Disk/USB Drive/Phone/Computer/Network

Thanks pratyush. Do you know if you could chromecast with netflix over vpn?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks