Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2018, 15:28   #2521
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Jio DTH - As mentioned by a JIO employee yesterday, while finalizing JIO broadband, we can expect DTH in 2-3 months time. The plans have been finalized and this information was communicated to them.

On prices he said, 1/3rd for monthly expenses what you pay at Tata SKY (hinting more towards 150-200 range). Further he also mentioned that they will be providing Broadband, Landline and DTH all in one connection.
Old 29th March 2018, 16:06   #2522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Jio DTH - As mentioned by a JIO employee yesterday, while finalizing JIO broadband, we can expect DTH in 2-3 months time. Further he also mentioned that they will be providing Broadband, Landline and DTH all in one connection.
Not sure about the prices but Yes, they have plans to have all in one. We have a JIO Broadband at home in Chandigarh under some prelaunch offer and the quality is very good.
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:04   #2523
BHPian

I recently dad taken Videocon d2h , while HD channels looks impressive not satisfied with SD content. I have it installed in flat and cable running for almost 60 meters. Not sure if d2h SD clarity is really bad or something to do with cable length. How is sun DTH picture quality?
Old 13th December 2018, 20:30   #2524
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like TRAI has set up some new rules post which the prices should come down. The new rules come into effect on 29th December. Details in the link.

https://trak.in/tags/business/2018/1...s-coming-soon/
Old 14th December 2018, 13:52   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Looks like TRAI has set up some new rules post which the prices should come down. The new rules come into effect on 29th December.
I saw an advertisement today that was urging consumers to make their own pack before the 28th of Dec. If they are now going to charge by channel, we hopefully stand to gain. At our home we typically watch maybe 20-30 channels at best. If anyone has worked out a pack, please do share. I am on Zee DTH.
Old 28th December 2018, 15:49   #2526
Senior - BHPian

Jio is successfully installed in Blor as Airtel bogs high net-worth customers down with cooked up bills. They troubled me no end and I had to put up a stiff fight, for a full reversal. What I liked about Jio are the professional guys they sent. Well dressed, they were polite. The integrated box handles IPTV. Look at how they mapped each and every room and customized (Floor plan was fed in) signal strength for me. That's a novelty!
Attached Thumbnails
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img_6604.jpg  

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img_6606.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2019, 23:37   #2527
BHPian

Came across an Ad for this HDTV antenna , where they claim you can get over 100 channels in HD for free and now legal in India.

OctaAir

Not sure if it is a scam or works. Does anyone have any further information / experience on this ?
Old 3rd February 2019, 10:18   #2528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Came across an Ad for this HDTV antenna , where they claim you can get over 100 channels in HD for free and now legal in India.

OctaAir

Not sure if it is a scam or works. Does anyone have any further information / experience on this ?
Its a scam. The paid channels are encrypted, only the specific company set top box (dishtv, tatasky..) would be able to decrypt.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:44   #2529
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Has the quality of Dish TV (the company) equipment gone bad in recent years?

I was a very early user of Dish - I have it since 2007 when there were only 20 channels on the platform. I was in Hyderabad with terrible cable (a minor wind would disturb reception) & terrible service & thought it was better to have less channels working properly than go for terrible cable. From there I move to Pune & from there to Bombay (moved 2 places in Pune & Bombay each) - carried by dishbox along with me all the time

The first box & viewing card worked fine for 7 years. After 7 years, the viewing card was spoilt & had to change the viewing card. The box itself lasted for 2-3 more years (total of 9-10 years) before I had to change it. Now after 2 years, the viewing card is already damaged.

Had a lot of problems at my parent's place also. Their 2 year old viewing card conked off & had to be replaced. And the very next week after replacing the viewing card, the box had to be replaced - luckily dishguys replaced the box with a cardless box - so single point of failure.
Old 13th July 2019, 01:16   #2530
BHPian

Since you mentioned Bombay, A lot would depend on which part of Bombay - Saline air + untreated sewage makes a very corrosive air.
Old 14th July 2019, 18:00   #2531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Since you mentioned Bombay, A lot would depend on which part of Bombay - Saline air + untreated sewage makes a very corrosive air.
I am in the eastern suburbs - so relatively not so near the sea.
Old 15th July 2019, 15:34   #2532
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am in the eastern suburbs - so relatively not so near the sea.
Update: Technician turned up 4 days after logging the complaint. He checked the VC Card & put toothpaste on it and reinserted it into the box. Still the Faulty VC error message persisted. So he said that VC Card is damaged & Dish don't make any new VC Cards so I have to change the box & I need to pay 1200 for it & I would get all channels free for 1 month. I asked him what about my existing subscription paid. He said it may be possible to call customer care & get my existing subscription also transferred - I need to do it myself. This sounded shady so I grilled him a little. Turned out what he was selling me was a brand new Dish Connection with a new VC box/remote etc (I think the connection 1600, but since I didn't need a new Dish or installation itself, he was selling it to me for 1200). I refused - told him just sell me a new box (new boxes are cardless). He said that costs 800 but it's not available right now - it would take minimum 7 days to procure it - this was a plain lie - most people would buy a new connection just so they don't be TV programming less for 7 days. I said I am fine with waiting for 7 days. He didn't seem very happy about it. So then he opened his bag & got out a brand new replacement box (this was the same box as my current box - not a cardless one) & said let me check your card with a new box to test if the card is bad or the box. My old card worked fine with the new box & I paid him 500 Rs (including cost of the replacement box & service charge).

So beware - dish tv technicians are out to fleece you (sell you a new connection instead of replacement box or even just a new box).

Another thing is - now that we know the box is faulty (just lasted two years), it really seems that new Dish Equipment isn't really durable unlike the old one (which as I wrote lasted for 9-10 years). My parent's house also a new box lasted just couple years. If this box gets screwed early, I am really wondering if I should continue my DishTV connection. May be try Cable TV for some time? Or try some other DTH vendor with a better quality of equipment.

Last edited by carboy : 15th July 2019 at 15:35.
Old 15th July 2019, 23:39   #2533
Senior - BHPian

I have a Zenega D-6000 DishTV HD box with remote. How much can it fetch?
I assume it is of the good quality type that you are mentioning above, @carboy?
Old 13th October 2019, 15:19   #2534
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade my Airtel SD to Airtel HD/Xstream. Have a few queries:

a) Are the HD channels in India 720p/1080i/1080p?
b) Do they deliver Dolby/DTS 5.1/7.1 audio where available?
c) If yes, does Airtel deliver the audio and video as-is without compressing in between?
d) The optical port on Airtel HD STB - does it deliver 5.1 where available?

May be OT,
1) Do hotstar/prime/zee5 etc stream 5.1/7.1 audio where available?
2) To stream content at 1080i/1080p + 5.1/7.1, will an 8mbps (DSL) speed suffice or do I need to upgrade the same? 20mbps? 40mbps?
3) How do I ensure to stream the best quality video+audio if my DSL/Fibre is having the optimal speed?
Old 11th March 2020, 12:16   #2535
BHPian

What is the latest on DD Direct? I think it is called Freedish now. Does anyone have firsthand experience with using it? Please let me know how I can get started.

What about other FTA channels on other satellites? How do you get those? Especially the international English channels?

Most Viewed