Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2008, 14:56   #271
Team-BHP Support

But don't you agree they have to install each receiver separately, that is twice the work. When you have 2 receivers, you do get a big break in monthly charges for the second receiver. I pay 300 bucks for the first receiver and 100 for the second one.
Old 25th January 2008, 15:10   #272
BHPian

That is absolutely fine, I agree that I will get a discount on monthly rental. But that is essentially a loyalty bons, which even my cablewallah gives me. But still i dont get their logic of paying complete hardware cost for second TV also, afterall I will be using the same dish, the only additional hardware is the set top box.

Anyways, forget it. in the hindsight I feel that it was a good decision. I have heard that Reliance and Bharti are launching their DTH services in March and considering their pedigree they should come up with some tempting offers. DO you have any news about their launch date?
Old 25th January 2008, 15:48   #273
Senior - BHPian

Got Tata Sky a month ago, after dumping Hathway.

One remarkable thing was that the technicians who did the installation were very equipped and knew the job well.

Clarity is somewhat better than Hathway (digital, using a STB). But a big downside is that Tata Sky isn't showing key channels like Hallmark, Zee Jagaran, etc. On the other hand Tata Sky has channels like BBC Entertainment, which Hathway wasn's showing.

Downtime has been nil till now. Hathway used to have ocasional downtimes.

And now Tata Sky is moving channels like NDTV Imagine, 9x, etc, into an add on package (Lifestyle gold), for which you have to shell out extra over and above the monthly Rs. 300! This is quite unacceptable as we were paying Rs. 270 to Hathway for all their channels!
Old 28th January 2008, 11:11   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is no installation charge for Tata Sky, at least not in 2006-07 when I got it. If you buy the kit by paying 4K, they will come and install it for free. I have two receivers at home. For the second one, it was a little cheaper since it didn't need another antenna. From the antenna onwards, it is a completely different line, so it is equal to two installations.
There's no such thing as a free lunch

There is DEFINITELY an installation charge, which is the initial Rs 1000/- voucher. The 4k is split into 3k (Satellite dish+STB cost) + 1k (installation+activation charges).

I agree, Tata sky installation engineers are very well qualified and do a VERY neat job in installing both the dish as well as STB, with no damage to walls and absolutely no mess. After all, if they are charging 1k for installation and activation, they better do a nice job!

From what I recall, the first install is full price and on every subsequent install in the same house, you pay 50% of the original amount.
Old 11th February 2008, 20:37   #275
BHPian

Reliance BigTV Offer

Hello All:

Here is an offer (Big TV) for Reliance BigTV DTH.

NOte: This is available ONLY through Reliance Communications employees--but open to friends and relatives:

* Upfront cost of Rs 1,000
* Monthly subscription of Rs 325 for 12 months
* Free Rs. 100 worth of pay TV movies per month
* 150 channels to begin with (list of channels is here: http://bigtv.co.in/bigtv/Emailer/ima...nnels_6feb.doc)
* MPEG4 STB

The Customer helpline numbers are
1800 200 9001 ( Toll Free)
022 3033 8888

Comparison with competitor is here:
Big TV
Old 25th April 2008, 11:03   #276
BHPian

I was looking to install a DTH service that can play live TV on my laptop. With the European championships (football) in two months time, I want to view the matches without getting into trouble with my home minister. She can then keenly watch her choice of programs on the TV kept in the drawing room.

DishTV offers a STB that works on a desktop computer. I am hoping it works well with a laptop as well. For that matter, my laptop even has a TV Tuner Card, but dont think this comes into play for a DTH service.

Any ideas, suggestions, alternatives?
Old 25th April 2008, 11:28   #277
Senior - BHPian

Any TV tnuer card has a video (Maybe audio in also)in & your sound card has a audio in. You dont need a special STB. I connect my normal STB to my comp whenever i want to record any programs.
Old 14th May 2008, 11:48   #278
BHPian

Am facing a serious problem nowadays as the SetMax channel aired through Dish TV having no video except the voice. Due to this I have missed many of the IPL matches.

I could see the video only in active mode which appears as a window along with many other channels. When I select the setmax channel window it appears blank.

Is it that this is common with all Dish TV users or is it happening only with me.
Old 14th May 2008, 12:15   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Am facing a serious problem nowadays as the SetMax channel aired through Dish TV having no video except the voice. Due to this I have missed many of the IPL matches.

I could see the video only in active mode which appears as a window along with many other channels. When I select the setmax channel window it appears blank.

Is it that this is common with all Dish TV users or is it happening only with me.
You're not the only one having this problem with DishTV. Have a look:
Problem: No visual on SET MAX - India Broadband Forum

As of now, no solution it seems. DishTV sucks big time.
Old 20th May 2008, 07:28   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, pls AVOID getting a new Dish TV connection at this time - esp the one with all the promos about the set-top box being free. These boxes possibly have a hardware problem, though will work fine at this time.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:39   #281
BHPian

Tata Sky has made some irritating chabges to the lineup.
ESPN, STar Sports and Star Cricket moved to a seperate add on Package. Ten Sports is a unique single channel package!

Tried calling last sunday, the line was busy whole day. Wanted to add the sprts package. Missed Mugello GP. Sent sms to add the package. Kept receiving error messages.
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:16   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Reliance / Big TV may join hands with Dish TV.
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:20   #283
Senior - BHPian

You mean buy them out Condor?
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:28   #284
BHPian

Any source for this? It will be good news for the subscribers!
Old 2nd June 2008, 20:41   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Tata Sky has made some irritating chabges to the lineup.
ESPN, STar Sports and Star Cricket moved to a seperate add on Package. Ten Sports is a unique single channel package!
The change they made is actually quite good. You can still get the entire package for 300 - 260 + 40 for the Sports Package. However for someone not interested in watching any of the sports channels, you are given the option of saving 40 per month - i.e. pay 260 per month instead of 300. As for annual subcribers, they continue to get the Sports Package for the same 300 per month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks