Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2006, 14:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Sky

Tata has introduced satallite television service. It seems really tempting,wanted to know if anyone has subscribed to it?
www.tatasky.com
Old 16th August 2006, 14:16   #32
BHPian

our society has already installed the dishes and some people already have their service and are not impressed. with only 50 odd chanels and expensive set-top boxes. i guess it will take a while before it really takes of. if they offer cable internet then it might be a better package.
Old 16th August 2006, 17:04   #33
BHPian

Dish TV - GO IN FOR IT

Well,after years of harassment by my local cable operator,I've gone in for Dish TV since past 1 month,and guys - IT'S AMAZIN..
Right now,there are total of 160+ channels on their platform !..!..and with 20+ radio channels.
Their Electronic Programming Guide shows current show/movie/etc.,as well as The upcoming program,and the entire weeks schedule too !
Tata Sky has been launched,but well,right now,they offer around only 50-60 channels I guess..for Rs200+tax per month,while I have subscribed for the Dish Maxi package,and am getting around 130 channels for Rs300+tax per month..even my local cable operator charged Rs300+tax per month,but I got only 85 channels,and more than 1/2 of the channels were totally poor reception..
But on Dish TV,EACH AND EVERY CHANNEL IS EXCELLENT CLARITY(Video as well as Audio)..EACH AND EVERY..
Infact,a few channels like Pogo,Cartoon Network,and EuroNews offer multiple Audio listening options (English/Hindi/French/etc.)..!
I'm the first person in my building to opt for Dish TV..and all my neighbours come and check out the picture/sound quality,and they are now planning to opt in for DTH too !

-sr
Old 19th August 2006, 18:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Always try to install a 90cm dish rather than the 60cm one given by Dish/Sky as part of the installation package. I have noticed that the 60cm dish is prone to interruption during rains/snow etc when the signal quality goes down to unacceptable levels.

If one can import a 90cm toroidal dish, that would be perfect.
Old 22nd August 2006, 14:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
What's the problem with Dish TV? I thought they were pretty good?
problems with Dish Tv

1. Poor picture & sound quality (Some channels are good)
2. 4th world customer care
3. Nobody has any idea of what tomoroow holds. any discussions on this will be shunned with a " we will let u know" or a "please keep in touch with channel 999"
4. Sudden increase in prices for the channels u watch (Pay up or else !!!)
5. Rob them once u have 'em attitude.

i sincerely hope all of this will change with competition lurking.
Old 22nd August 2006, 14:56   #36
Team-BHP Support

Well, after the problems now with the cable operators stopping all broadcasts thanks to our ever interfering Govt., DTH seems like a better idea.
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:35   #37
BHPian

@insane_Devil, digital cable is in Hyderbad...... Just spoke to hathway / local cable operator. He is quoting settop box for 2,500/- one time investment and you get 130 channels. Cable bill remains same. If you get 'C' channel in your network, that means, you can get this digital cable. Talk to your cable walla. I want to see the picture clarity before investing that money. Still doing reserach on it. If anybody is using this digital cable in Hyderabad, please let me know the feedback.
Old 22nd August 2006, 16:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Guys, here in chennai. I need two channels HBO and Star movies.

If i get STB, i dont get HBO.
If i get DTH, i dont get star movies.

What do i do???
DTH now has the Star bouquet which includes Star Movies.....I get it on my Dish
Old 22nd August 2006, 18:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, after the problems now with the cable operators stopping all broadcasts thanks to our ever interfering Govt., DTH seems like a better idea.
DTH is a wonderful idea, specially for people who enjoy quality picture & sound. Also it offers many choices in the selection of audio lang, sub titles etc... but the provider has to be good for u to enjoy these features. so far, DIsh Tv sucks. i am having it for the last 8 months & trust me, the customer care people are so frustrating. they have only one answer, that is "thank you for contacting dish tv. we will update you as & when what u are asking for happens". it is so bad, an e.g here
Original Query (CONTINUATION) I TRIED CONTACTING 18001803474, BUT THE NUMBER WAS BUSY THROUGHOUT FROM 9PM TO 11 PM. HOW CAN IT BE THAT A HELPLINE IS BUSY FOR 2 HRS IN THE NIGHT. I WANT A GOOD REASON FOR THIS. THANK U. Response Tag: 14187 [SIZE=18pt][COLOR=#ff6600]dishtv [/COLOR][/SIZE]replied on Apr 8 2006 8:31AM [SIZE=12pt][COLOR=#707ec7] [/COLOR][/SIZE] DEAR MR. S, THANKS FOR CONTACTING US. THE LINE WAS O.K. FROM OUR END. WITH REGARDS, DISH TV TEAM

Original Query WHAT IS THE CHANNEL 999 ??? HOW IS IT INTERACTIVE? I CANNOT ACCESS THE MENUS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN. PLEASE CLARIFY. Response Tag: 12778 [SIZE=18pt][COLOR=#ff6600]dishtv [/COLOR][/SIZE]replied on Mar 7 2006 6:11PM [SIZE=12pt][COLOR=#707ec7] [/COLOR][/SIZE] DEAR MR. S, THANKS FOR CONTACTING US. VARIOUS PLANS ARE IN PIPELINE REGARDING THE SAME. WITH REGARDS, DISH TV TEAM
[SIZE=-1]Reply to Message:[/SIZE]

Original Query 1. WHEN WILL U START GIVING ENGLISH MOVIES IN MOVIE ON DEMAND??? 2. ARE THERE ANY PLANS IN THE NEAR FUTURE TO INCORPORATE INTERNET OVER DTH? Response Tag: 11300 [SIZE=18pt][COLOR=#ff6600]dishtv [/COLOR][/SIZE]replied on Feb 7 2006 12:48PM [SIZE=12pt][COLOR=#707ec7] [/COLOR][/SIZE] DEAR MR. S, THANKS FOR CONTACTING US. WE WILL BE COMING UP WITH VARIOUS LANGUAGE SUBTITLES AS A PLAN IN THIS REGARD IS IN PIPELINE. WITH REGARDS, DISH TV TEAM

This is the kind of answers u will get. u will feel like u r banging against a wall or maybe the iron curtain. very very frustrating.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 22nd August 2006 at 18:06.
Old 22nd August 2006, 19:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Rtech, like you have said DTH seems like a better idea,well it will be for sometime till the govt decides to act.Dont be suprised if the local collecters office which collects taxes from the cable operators ask them to make a list of how many of their customers have removed the cable connection and installed DTH.Because this is gona happen.

So now do you gt the idea as to what is in store for a DTH subscriber ?? They will wait till there is a good amount of DTH customers and then send them notices for that small DTH dish and say they you have to pay taxes for it,and there will be a penalty for not paying it from the month it was installed and they will use all the possible tricks in the book the get the money out of you.This am sure will happen because my brother was telling me that the local collecters office want to know how many people have installed DTH dishes.

Cheers Ed...
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
DTH now has the Star bouquet which includes Star Movies.....I get it on my Dish
Now which DTH is that is it the new TATA SKY setup or the existing zee Dish TV ????

Cheers Ed...
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:50   #42
BHPian

suman is referring to the zee one. Dish TV seems to have the most coverage now. However they dont have Sun TV , KTV or other Sun network channels I suppose?
Old 22nd August 2006, 21:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta
Now which DTH is that is it the new TATA SKY setup or the existing zee Dish TV ????

Cheers Ed...

Dish TV

<end of message>
Old 22nd August 2006, 21:42   #44
BHPian

So finally Dish Tv has the star package any idea as to what are the total damages in monthly charges.Whats it finally gona cost to add the star package..

Cheers Ed..
Old 22nd August 2006, 23:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

does anybody have issues with Dish TV reception during rains.

Most Viewed